Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Grand Canyon Diorama question

This is going to be an obscure question, but I'm sure someone here will know for sure.

In the Grand Canyon Diorama is the rainbow after the storm a projection? There have been times when I've looked for it and haven't seen it and tonight while riding it looked like it was very faint like it was maybe a projection. Most times I've seen it, it's been very bright and I assumed was painted on the back wall of the diorama.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Hello

Cool Re: Grand Canyon Diorama question

I don't know. I can't help you at all. To prove the point that I don't know, I will say that I don't even know where it is.

• Animator in Training!

Re: Grand Canyon Diorama question

I believe it is painted alone with the enitre back round If I'm not mistaken...could be wrong though.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."-Walt Disney

• Faerie Godmother

I'm pretty sure it's projected. Sometimes it will be bright and strong one day and then gone a month later, then back again, but dimmer, the month after that. I doubt the backdrop is repainted that often.

It's a projection, a CM confirmed that in a thread sometime ago. There are many times it's off when I go through there one day and it's back the next week.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It has to be raining for there to be a rainbow.

DER!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    the lead said when I asked about the cable car and why it was brocken and not fixed... "Since some of the animals in the diorama have gone on the endangered species list since the diorama was built, animal rights groups no longer allow the cleaners to come in and take care of the animals and sets... and since they are so old any damage must be minimalized, thats why we dont allow flash pictures when the train comes thru."
    Well, I can't answer the rainbow question, but it seems more likely that the reason flash photos aren't allowed is because it's a major annoyance for other guestes on the train--especially with the flash bouncing off those plates of glass.

But aside from that, it does seem strange that any group can tell a private company what it can and cannot do with its non-living assets.

• Mortals pay a token fee.

we walked the entire catwalk above it and I never saw a projector... I would say its painted.
    I would doubt they would use an actual "Projector" for such a projection, so I wouldn't blame you for not seeing it in a walk through. Most likely, they are using a spot light, just like all the other lights, and it has a filter on it with a rainbow painted on this filter.

Now this part is speculation, and I could be wrong: I would think that the "brightness" to the rainbow would be either to the degree of the lightbulbs brightness, OR the strong light could cause the filter to fade and the change this filter every now and then when they go through to change bulbs. I could only imagine a box of rainbow filters sitting somewhere along the catwalk.

• HauntedOne999

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Well, I can't answer the rainbow question, but it seems more likely that the reason flash photos aren't allowed is because it's a major annoyance for other guestes on the train--especially with the flash bouncing off those plates of glass.
    true... but also UV light degrades the animals skin and causes fading of their color.

basically one day because of their age, all of the animlas in the diorama will need to be removed and the whole thing redone.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• We Want The Redhead

[QUOTE=Steve DeGaetano;1055431998]Well, I can't answer the rainbow question, but it seems more likely that the reason flash photos aren't allowed is because it's a major annoyance for other guestes on the train--especially with the flash bouncing off those plates of glass.
    QUOTE]

Hey Steve, as the true RR expert around here (and I am NOT being sarcastic) I'm surprised you don't remember the days when they would ask that no flash pictures be taken as a safety precaution, what with the light reflecting into the engineers eyes.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

...some of the "stuffed" animals are on the endagered species ...
    I'll say, some of them haven't been around in like 65 million years.

I thought the rainbow was painted, but it never occurred to me that it might be projected. Maybe it is. I hope someone knows.
    If I had to criticize it, I'd say that it is too much shaped like half a circle, and not enough like an arch.

• Iron-Clad Allie

If the rainbow is painted, the artist deserves to be credited as a Picaso. To succeed in mystifying so many as to whether it is a projected image would be the work of pure genious.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    Hey Steve, as the true RR expert around here (and I am NOT being sarcastic) I'm surprised you don't remember the days when they would ask that no flash pictures be taken as a safety precaution, what with the light reflecting into the engineers eyes.
    No, I don't remember that! But that reasoning makes as much sense as the ultraviolet light explanation (I wonder why those animals didn't fade when they were alive and presumably spending 12 hours a day under sunlight? ).

The engine crew faces forward, and probably isn't even away of any flashes, even from the front car. Even if they caught the flashes out of the corners of their eyes, they certainly wouldn't be blinded by them such that they couldn't operate the train. After all, it's not like they're steering it!

• Mortals pay a token fee.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
    Most likely, they are using a spot light, just like all the other lights, and it has a filter on it with a rainbow painted on this filter.
    Okay, did a quick google search. They most likely use something similar to what Gobos, Custom Gobos, Wedding Gobos, Gobo Projectors, Glass Gobos sells. On their front page they only show black and white projections, but if you go through the website, you can see some color ones too.

I see there is a picture of the rainbow on Daveland. August 2008
    Doesn't look so colorful, and I still think the circle is too high above the horizon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast