Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• In Between inbetweens

Pirate-centric trip planned for September!

Hi- First post...and first trip to DLR.
    I've been to WDW countless times, but this will be my first trip to DLR. Of course, I'm excited- this is the beginning of it, after all.. I want to experiences the differences, and some of the original attractions.
    Some questions: As I am primarily coming to California due to a pirate gathering, I want to for sure check out POTC. I know that Jack Sparrow is not presently greeting guests at the parks- what is the status of the pirates' lair at Tom Sawyers Island? Can you still get those cool POTC themed mouse ears at the parks? How about other POTC merchandise? Scarce or there?
    Is it likely to be closed then? I know HM may be closed then to prepare for the Halloween season. (Bummer!)
    I wanted to eat at BB- but what about Hook's Pointe? Recommendations?
    I'm only going to be able to attend for one day..any tips, or must not be missed at DCA?
    I'm looking for this to be a super piratey experience! Is the Smee character still around? How about Captain Hook?

Any info would be mucho appreciated, maties!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Pirate-centric trip planned for September!

Captain Hook can be seen in Fantastmic! in DL and the Electrical Parade in DCA.

Pirates Lair is still on Tom Sawyer Island, and some things that make for ok pictures, but Jack is still gone. I'm not sure if the Bootstrappers are still around.

• sleepy lagoon

The Pieces of Eight store located at the exit of PoTC has cool pirate merchandise for both kids and adults... one of my favorite stores in the park. I have never eaten at Hook's Pointe, but you should defintely get reservations for the BB. The food is excellent and the scenery cannot be beat. (Go for lunch and get the Monte Cristo sandwich with the Chicken Gumbo soup) Have a great time!!

• In Between inbetweens

Thanks for the prompt answers, Mates!

Still wondering if I can get the bandanna/Jack Sparrow mouse ears at the park?( I see them on Ebay, but I don't wanna grab them if I can get them in the park!)

Is it likely they will have a drop the rope event at the time I am there?
    (weekend of Sept. 19th) Or will we just line up?
    If it is drop the rope, then can we get there early and breakfast at say Carnation?
    I've done WDW so many times, it's ingrained on itinerary and tips and secrets.
    But I dunno about DLR.
    I'm unsure about whether the park will be open later..will there be Fantasmic then, or is that something that is not done on the off season?
    Any idea of what I can expect?

• DLR Cast Member

The Bootstrappers Pirate Band is at DL on Tues., Wed., Thur. only. Their first couple of sets are in New Orleans Square, starting in the alley where the streets converge and sometimes staying there. There are one or two sets in the early afternoon at Pirates Lair at the back end of Tom Sawyer's island, and the last set lately has been at 4:15pm in New Orleans Square.

Their schedule of when and where they play has changed recently, and may change again before your trip.

It's a good show, and they are happy to pose for pictures, even during songs.

we were there about a week ago and they still had the hats like the one i have in my avitar as well as a bandanna with just the dreds but an open top and i think they still have the bandanna with goofy ears and a piecing.

• In Between inbetweens

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    we were there about a week ago and they still had the hats like the one i have in my avitar as well as a bandanna with just the dreds but an open top and i think they still have the bandanna with goofy ears and a piecing.
    It's the bandanna with the goofy ears and the earring that I want!

I have mouse ears from all my visits to WDW- including santa ears.
    but I really want these ones!

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Disney Personalized Pirates of the Caribbean Ear Hat | Disney Store

If you can buy them at the Disney Park's official online store, they're almost guaranteed to be at the parks themselves.

Not sure if this was the hat you were looking for, but I hope I helped!

• In Between inbetweens

Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    Disney Personalized Pirates of the Caribbean Ear Hat | Disney Store

If you can buy them at the Disney Park's official online store, they're almost guaranteed to be at the parks themselves.

Not sure if this was the hat you were looking for, but I hope I helped!
    yeah- that's totally it! I've seen them on Ebay, and they all say no longer available at the parks! I thought I'd feel kind of foolish buying them before I got there..I'd rather get them at the park, and have them personalized there, to add to the experience ya know. PLUS ya get charged up the wazoo for shipping to Canada! But if I need to buy it in advance to make sure I get one..I'll do that too!

• A Weather Eye Open

those bandana pirate mickey ears are quite popular and i doubt they've gone anywhere!

thanks for the info on the bootstrappers. i've been going saturdays usually, and wondering why i never see them around!

i don't know when in the month you're going to the DLR, but remember that Talk Like A Pirate Day is Sept 19th!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• In Between inbetweens

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    those bandana pirate mickey ears are quite popular and i doubt they've gone anywhere!

thanks for the info on the bootstrappers. i've been going saturdays usually, and wondering why i never see them around!

i don't know when in the month you're going to the DLR, but remember that Talk Like A Pirate Day is Sept 19th!
    That's when I am going- well- I'm at a Talk Like Day Pirate Day / POTC related event on Sat- on the Queen Mary - so I am attending DL on Friday. Leaving Sunday.

• In Between inbetweens

Oh yeah- and what exactly is the bootstrappers? Pirate themed band?

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Oh, make a treasure map of some kind, home made for your party. Keepsake if you will. I'm sure you've already thought of this.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• In Between inbetweens

Actually I haven't Great idea though!

and hopefully the Bootstrappers will be playing on Fridays by the time I get there!
    Last edited by GorillaGirl; 07-12-2009 at 10:02 PM.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaGirl View Post
    Oh yeah- and what exactly is the bootstrappers? Pirate themed band?
    Yes, the Bootstrappers are a pirate themed band that play in the back alleys of New Orleans Square and on the Pirates Lair at Tom Sawyer's Island. They sing sea chanties and other nautical type tunes. They are hilarious and include many joke references to Disney and Disney attractions. (ex. "Have you seen the creatures running around this place? Chipmunks as big as a man!") I won't always stop if a musician is playing, but I ALWAYS stop for the Boostrappers!

Awesome to hear that you're making a Talk Like a Pirate's Day trip. Too bad you weren't here to see the cool little Jack Sparrow stunt show they had shortly after they opened the island (2007). Unfortunately, it only ran six months or so...but was still very cool.

Last time I was in Pieces of Eight (the shop to the right after you exit the POTC ride), there were decent items, though MUCH fewer than 2006/07 when the movies were out. At that time, they had two styles of Jack Sparrow rings and Tia Dalma's necklace (those were park exclusives and very nice). Most recently, I only saw the one Jack skull ring. Last time I noticed a lot of toys (swords/pistoles), some plush of Jack the Monkey and the dog with keys, photo frames, shot glasses, etc. Just step into Pieces of Eight and follow the shops, they flow continuously into one another. The last shop is called Port Royale gifts and is where I noticed most of the clothing. There are plenty of cool t-shirts, fleece, hats, bags/totes/purses. A good selection for men and women (although there is a great deal of 'Pirate Princess' stuff for the girls). Currently, I noticed and emphasis on Haunted Mansion due to the 40th. (Also, if you're a pin person, you'll want to get pins that are specific to Pirate's Lair and it's attractions)

For more collectible type merchandise, you'll want to try Disneyana (Mainstreet) and World of Disney(outside the parks). These both have figurines (porceline), charm bracelets, art, etc. There are these awesome little resin boxes ("Pockit Pals")that are then painted and feature art from various attractions. One of them features the skull and cross sabers from the ride and is pretty affordable ($15-20). Finally, plenty of books and the attraction soundtrack can be found at 20th Century Music.

Finally, for discounted merchandise, please check out the Disney Character Warehouse outlet in Orangefair. It's only a 15 minute drive from the resort and can be visited the day before or after. Now, this is a liquidation overstock type store, so the merchandise rotates constantly. Sometimes it's great (right after a shippment delivery), sometimes not so much. They did have lots of women's Pirates of the Carribean shirts last time I was there, but in September there will be no telling. Still, may be worth your time if you want to buy sourveniers.

Asset Management and Sales - retail store listings with blowout sales

Disney's Character Warehouse Outlet Store
    Orangefair Marketplace
    243 Orangefair Mall
    Fullerton, CA 92832
    (714) 870-9363
    9-9 Mon-Sat; 9-8 Sun

Have fun and keep to the code! Arrrr!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast