Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool big thunder mountain down times

anytime big thunder breaks down, i never see any guests waiting in line. Why do they evacuate the line? Is it is a fire hazard? i think splash mountain also evacuates the line when it breaks down. However on some attractions like matterhorn, people are generally allowed to wait until the attraction reopens.
    Anyone know?

Tucson, Arizona, but I wish I was in Philly, PA

Re: big thunder mountain down times

well i cant answer your big thunder mountain question, but in May, I was waiting in line for splash mountain, and we still had about 5 minutes to go. Well they then shutdown the ride because a girl jumped out of one of the logs, but we just stayed in line for an extra half hour, and nobody was told to leave.

I will be at DisneyWorld on April 29, 2011-May 4, 2011. If You Are Going The Same Time Message Me

• "I Break Things"

Thunder is a minimum 25 to 30 minutes until it will come back online and they do not want people waiting in the queue for that amount of time. Splash, Indy, and many other attractions can be a lot faster coming back online depending on what the issue is.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I never wait in line if the ride is broken I just move on to the another attraction.

how do they corral people out of big thunder line. knowing how people are i am sure there are a few that get difficult about having to leave the line.

• Lego Peoplemover Priit

Cool Re: big thunder mountain down times

I don't have a clue. I have never been on a ride when it breaks. But once we were in line for GRR and it broke. We just stayed until it as ok.

• Minion

Probably because BTMRR takes a while to fix. There was one time i was in Space ready to board and they made us leave because it broke down, they even turned on the lights and everything...really cool to see Space with the lights on while standing there. Probably a timely thing.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Sha-lalalalala my oh my

Yeah, I have noticed that they clear the BTM queue when it breaks down...I think it depends what kind of problem the attraction is having. Most of the E ticket attractions have a huge set check points and sensors that they have to re-set before they re-open.

I have been stuck on BTM before (it was not long after they re-opened it from the accident) and they cleared the line and exited everyone from the trains that were on the track. I was suck on the first hill underneath of water. The CMs helped each row out of the train and then we had to stand in a row and wait. I was near the back of the train and when they helped us all out it was weird. When you are on the ride you don't realize how far off the ground you are. It is about three and a half feet or more. I am not that tall and I just barely came up to the floor of the train (where you put your feet when sitting in the train). They gave us each a special pass so we could come back and go through the exit and get straight on...

• Keep Moving Forward

Over at Splash Mountain we let everyone stay in line if they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by sw/matt View Post
    how do they corral people out of big thunder line. knowing how people are i am sure there are a few that get difficult about having to leave the line.
    I too was at the front of the line for Space Mountain when it broke down. Everyone in the space port was quickly ushered back into the park, and all were issued readmission passes. I would guess the procedure is similar for Big Thunder - maybe Techskip can verify this.

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Over at Splash Mountain we let everyone stay in line if they choose.

I too was at the front of the line for Space Mountain when it broke down. Everyone in the space port was quickly ushered back into the park, and all were issued readmission passes. I would guess the procedure is similar for Big Thunder - maybe Techskip can verify this.

Thanks for the insight LEGACY and TECHSKIP

I can't tell you what a treat it is to hear from CM's that have "been there, done that."
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Nill

In Indy's case, the line will be evacuated if the attraction has to be evacuated. Most (if not all) CMs have to go into the ride to evacuate the transports, so guests cannot be left alone in the line, without supervision. Usually the station would be empty too, from both CMs and guests.

for thunder how do they get people out of the queue? i imagine some people get really angry!

BTMRR broke down yesterday while I was on it. We stopped right on the 3rd lift. Then we heard an announcement telling everyone in line to turn around and go out the way they came. I have been in line before when it has broken down and it is usually very civil.

Then a couple of CM's came and got us out one row at a time and we waited on the stairs until everyone was out of the train. Then we got to walk out of the ride with the lights on! Down the 1st lift where the water is. It was so cool, better then riding the ride, getting a behind the scenes tour! Then they gave the whole group a FP for another ride.

I kinda think we broke the ride, I was there with a Bear group, 26-28 big men all on 1 train! They said someone stood up and it shut everything down, but not sure.

We also got stuck on POTC earlier before the drop and had to rock the boat until we finally went down! We hit the bottom and scraped! What a day!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by BurtGummer View Post
    In Indy's case, the line will be evacuated if the attraction has to be evacuated. Most (if not all) CMs have to go into the ride to evacuate the transports, so guests cannot be left alone in the line, without supervision. Usually the station would be empty too, from both CMs and guests.
    only 4 CM's tag out to get the majority of the vehicles. North Advance/Load and South Advance/Load meet at the brigde and then one goes forward, one goes backwards. North Group and South Group assist starting at Station and working back one car at a time. Belts if they are good will clear their cars down at the pit and then move up to clear out the station and relieve Group. They had a couple different "procedures" so it may have changed since I left. The majority of the crew is usually busy clearing the queue and writing Backdoors... which can be messy depending on the crew. When I left Facilities had a 15 minute rule. They either fixed the issue in 15 minutes or we evac'd the Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by sw/matt View Post
    for thunder how do they get people out of the queue? i imagine some people get really angry!
    They spiel over the PA asking people to reverse their direction in line. Once people realize it will be down for an extended period of time they generally make a "mad dash" for the exit (which happens to be the way they came in). If there is a train in the station we will spiel and also have people cross the train. The real "problem" is in those rare cases where they are running 4 trains and don't have one in the station (one barely in BZ4, one on each lift). In that case the only way for a Guest to exit is to reverse their direction in line so it takes longer to clear the line.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I'm not really here

We were at the loading gate for Screamin' last year when blue got stuck at the top of the lift hill. The station CMs immediately told everyone in line to reverse direction and proceed out the entrance. CMs along the line also started turning people around. It worked pretty well and a 40 minute long line was out of the ride within about 5 minutes. The CMs were very polite, very nice and apologetic.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast