Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Why was the Rocket Rods instaled in the first place?

Why did the Disneyland management back in 1997-1998 even after the budgets cuts still installed the Rocket Rods.Why did they not just upgrade the Peoplemover?The Rocket Rods failed on day on so...

Re: Why was the Rocket Rods instaled in the first place?

What is Rocket Rods? Does it still exist? Or is it out of operation?

• potterday.org

The Rocket Rods were the showpiece of a general re-themeing of Tomorrowland. The color scheme, the remants of which still linger somewhat, was copper and green. The theme was an optimistic "agrofuture" in which all plant life in the land was edible. Aesthetically, it combined steampunk with Da Vinci.

Eisner's quotation on the concept was "the future is Denver. That's what people want, to have technology but also be in nature." Or words to that effect.

Rocket Rods was fun while it lasted, and while it worked, which was sporadically.
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• Banned User

They need a new E-Ticket type of ride. Something fun that people would stand in line for 3 hours to ride. They needed to pad the parks which over the years was seeing closures of shops, restaurants and rides.

You entered where you do at Buzz Lightyear and straight back then right to a holding area then to the theater holding area and there were stairs in a long hallway then finally you got to ride. That made it not very easy on disabled guests. I would have rode it more but the stairs down then up and up and up was too much for me. It was a fun ride but the advertising did not match the ride. Skidding around corners and the freezing wind in your face was fun but long lines and lots of stairs and walking made it something only a few people truly enjoyed.

They should have put a mad mouse in the old theater building or tore out the motor boats, filled it in and put in a mad mouse coaster.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

The rocket rods were put in place because of the overwhelming need to move people at a faster rate than the peoplemover. Unfortunately the project was rushed and the multi-million dollar attraction/experiment was reduced to a $25,000 project. The project, at that point, called: People Mover X, was transformed into an experiment to see how fast guests can be moved without spending copious amounts of money and without actual show elements.

Even before the instalation of the ride, renegade imagineers that felt swindled by the corperate end of Disney sadly sabataged the plans and made it impossible for the, otherwise highly advanced, rocket cars to function properly. Acording to reports, the malfunction was that the vehicles computers were told that they do not belong on the track. Therefore, the vehicles would short out and shut off unexpectedly, thinking that their existance on the track was a miscalculation or error.

The Rocket Rods were deemed a failure due to their inability to move more people than the peoplemover did in less time. This reality overshadowed the vehicles ability to move people at higher speeds.

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

Quote Originally Posted by jlauer95 View Post
    What is Rocket Rods? Does it still exist? Or is it out of operation?
    Look it up on youtube and no it's out of operation.

Yeah something sure it was the biggest failure in Tomorroland.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by aaronpaulcustoms View Post
    Even before the instalation of the ride, renegade imagineers that felt swindled by the corperate end of Disney sadly sabotaged the plans and made it impossible for the, otherwise highly advanced, rocket cars to function properly. Acording to reports, the malfunction was that the vehicles computers were told that they do not belong on the track. Therefore, the vehicles would short out and shut off unexpectedly, thinking that their existence on the track was a miscalculation or error.

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    I really dont get it

• no flash photography...

I only went on it three times, but it was fun.

• Boat shoes all day long

I am trying to ignore the plethora of grammatical mistakes in the title thread...

Tomorrowland: Rocket Rods

Definitely check out the above site, this is a good way to become better acquainted with the Rocket Rods and their glory.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    I really dont get it
    Ya know how they say that "the truth is out there" ? Well, now its in post #5 of this thread!

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Animatronic

I never understood the Rocket Rods. Yeah, I'm enough of a Disney fan to have waited in line for the things dozens of times, but why would you take a scenic track, make it so you can barely see anything, then zip you through it?

I rode it and rode it and never got it. It was just annoying, and I love thrill rides. From the outside, it even looked dorky... The awkward cars doing simulated pop-a-wheelies. From inside Star Tours it looked dorky. They were as graceful as taking your Harley to shop in the Emporium.

I felt the multi-colored People Mover was a tad garish and lacked detail (or stuck in the 1960's), but in general, they won out over the Rocket Rods as an experience because they could draw on all the attractions in Tomorrowland.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aaronpaulcustoms View Post
    The rocket rods were put in place because of the overwhelming need to move people at a faster rate than the peoplemover. Unfortunately the project was rushed and the multi-million dollar attraction/experiment was reduced to a $25,000 project. The project, at that point, called: People Mover X, was transformed into an experiment to see how fast guests can be moved without spending copious amounts of money and without actual show elements.

Even before the instalation of the ride, renegade imagineers that felt swindled by the corperate end of Disney sadly sabataged the plans and made it impossible for the, otherwise highly advanced, rocket cars to function properly. Acording to reports, the malfunction was that the vehicles computers were told that they do not belong on the track. Therefore, the vehicles would short out and shut off unexpectedly, thinking that their existance on the track was a miscalculation or error.

The Rocket Rods were deemed a failure due to their inability to move more people than the peoplemover did in less time. This reality overshadowed the vehicles ability to move people at higher speeds.

You forgot to include

or

Without some clue, some people may tend to actually believe that.

• Nor Cal AP'er

Oh yeah i remember this ride back before the last time I went there, I was wondering what happened to it, I thought it was supposed to be like the 'Test track' in FL?
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast