Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Boat shoes all day long

Remember “A Day at Disneyland?”

You live far enough away from the park where regular visits are difficult and you need something to hold you over until the next excursion. There has never been, or possibly ever will be again, a better souvenir than the “A Day at Disneyland” VHS. It is said that there were three versions of this production feat, one released in 1982-1983, another in the early 1990’s, and the third installment to feature the newly added Fantasmic and Mickey’s Toontown.

There were other videos like “Relive the Memories” released in 1991, featuring mainly stills with audio commentary and background music. Very little video footage was involved, but it did include the Main Street Electrical Parade and Fantasy in the Sky.

The audio (voice over) was laid over a series of video shoots taken at Disneyland Park throughout the year. This project may have actually been a larger undertaking that many people think. I say this because although to our modern eyes it appears to be the camera work of a child, that was pretty good for those days, and it is clear that temperatures vary as much as seasons in the course of the video. Kids go from wearing Gecko (remember these?) t-shirts and neon hammer pants, to stone washed denim and magenta and turquoise sweaters, fully-equipped with turtle necks underneath.

The opening scene begins as the sun comes up, bringing the screen to life with a perfectly sunny day at the Magic Kingdom. Mickey and Minnie are cruising around Main Street making sure everything looks neat and pretty as they only have five minutes ‘till the park opens. The MS big band fires up their brass and ushers in another days worth of guests as we watch them scatter to their favorite attractions. One part that does confuse me a little here, and probably just because it isn’t my standard plan, is that it shows people rush to the food vendors when they should be jumping in line for Space Mountain. There is even an older gentleman, distinguished, strolling down the sidewalk near the magic shop with his hands behind his back, tied at the index finger, head high and to the sky, probably whistling “right down the middle of main street USA…”

One of the best sequences would probably be the interactions with Mr. Smee and Captain James Hook (voiced by Corey Burton, uncredited). “Another time Smee, another time.” A great part about this video is how it shows both guests and characters enjoying the park in the same manner. However, to the characters, everything is very real, it’s the world they live in, which makes watching this video so BELIEVABLE! I remember sitting in my living room many years ago, inches from the screen, thinking “I feel like I am actually on Star Tours!” It was fantastic. No plush Mickey Mouse, Squeeze Breeze water bottle/fan, Splash Mountain glass, or Monorail board game ever matched the ability this video had to take us back to the park between visits.

We were so lucky to have been lads in a time when Disney was letting their Imagineers roam free without the mega-marketing whiz’s jumping in to secure a movie tie-in prior to green lighting projects. Not that I am rejecting great new ideas like Cars Land, and putting Jack in POTC. I am just saying things are different, that’s all.

I have added an image of the cover from the VHS if you ever happen to find yourself on Amazon or perusing through a garage sale bin. Pick this VHS up. The attractions may not be up to date, but the feel of the production will bring you right where you want to be

[IMG][/IMG]
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Re: Remember “A Day at Disneyland?”

Wow.

Sounds like something I should be watching to tie me in till August.
    Last edited by Goover; 07-13-2009 at 10:08 AM.
    Ohhai!

• We Go On.

Aw, I love this! I have it on VHS, but I downloaded it from Mousebits and created a DVD of it. The only downside to my DVD is it doesn't include the Toontown segment. But I love seeing the old Tomorrowland.

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Oh, I loved the video as well!!

One of the best videos showcasing the Disneyland Resort (circa 1980s to mid-1990s) out there.

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

My brother and I used to watch that video all the time. The filming was great it really made you feel like you where there. Ahhhhhh good times. I wish you could get this on DVD. I would watch it every day.

• MadHatter Reincarnation

I still have it! Wow.... haven't thought about it in a while.... I use to watch it all the time because of the Fantasmic segment at the end.....

• DanTheMan

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Aw, I love this! I have it on VHS, but I downloaded it from Mousebits and created a DVD of it. The only downside to my DVD is it doesn't include the Toontown segment. But I love seeing the old Tomorrowland.

Do you have a link to it?
    Keep To The Code

• Sock Puppet

We're proud owners of the video. One which we have played numerous times and one still wrapped up in its original packaging.

Too much fun!

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Monkey View Post
    Do you have a link to it?
    (Hesitates to promote other site, hoping this isn't against the rules ) It's in the torrents section of Mousebits. Searching for it is always helpful. I don't really want to link to it, I'm not sure what the guidelines for that are on MiceChat.

• Banned User

I swear, not kidding, I was literally just watching this about 30 seconds ago.

I am literally about to watch this tape!!

I have the early 90s version, and I was wondering, does anyone know what song they are playing at Tomorrowland Terrace when the characters are dancing with the kids? It's just an instrumental, but really catchy and nice.

• The one and only

I'm not gonna lie, from the moment I got it ('96, the version with Fantasmic and Toontown), I watched it EVERY day until about 2004. I still watch it every now and then whenever I get second-homesick.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I have the early 90's version and it's actually in my VCR right now. My brother used to watch it all the time.

I liked Goofy on BTMRR:

"Garsh, that was great. Hey I made it back, safe and sound!"
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• (Not a) New User

I love this video! It's great! The worst part, I thought, was the Electrical Parade without Baroque Hoedown. I remember watching this, eager to hear it and see it on Main Street, then comes a random song. I guess it's about royalties, although maybe not since they have performed it thousands of times.

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• Boat shoes all day long

Another fine thing about the film is that it wasn't stagged with models and phony families. You know the scenes in the vacation planner DVD: Cast Member or face character walks through the castle into the hub area, bowing with hands outstretched, while a family of 5-6 circles around in slow motion with ear to ear smiles. A group "jump" into the air at the same time might follow.

A Day at Disneyland didn't play those games. I mean, take a look at the woman that casts off Captain Hook and Mr. Smee on the POTC scene. She is a hard working CM resembling a fair maiden of pirate times, not a 1-800-Dentist poster girl.

I know that recreation of things like this is illegal, but if anyone knows how to digitally re-master 8mm films like this, please get on it! I would buy a bootleg for sure!
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast