Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Question About Disney’s New Ariel AA

Like every other Disney geek out there, I have many questions about the upcoming little mermaid ride. But the one question that’s seldom asked concerns Ariel herself. We’ve all heard that the all the audio animatronics are supposed to be ground breaking. In fact Al Lutz mentioned that among some of the breath taking special effects will be Ariel’s hair, it’s apparently going to mechanically sway and move as to create the illusion of floating in water! But what about the rest of her? Most of the AA figures have motors in their abdomen, powering their upper half while the legs are still. But Ariel has a fin, a vary fluid constantly moving fin. How are the folks going to find the space to power her upper half including her hair, while animating her tail in a realistic manner?

I think this is the perfect time for Disney to build this ride, the technology is there and the fact that it’s going in DCA is a huge plus. It’s a challenge but if it’s done the effect should be magical.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Re: Question About Disney’s New Ariel AA

It's a difficult build for the mechanical folks, especially Ariel's wrists. But they are trying to stay very true to the movie in the overall look and movement of Ariel. Very fluid and natural.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    It's a difficult build for the mechanical folks, especially Ariel's wrists. But they are trying to stay very true to the movie in the overall look and movement of Ariel. Very fluid and natural.
    that's interesting I never thought of a thing like that. I assume she's going to have vary expressive hand movements? I saw a HD video of the new Hall Of presidents show in the WDW forum and what was impressive about the Obama AA was his hands. His fingers moved individually and were vary fluid.

• I'm not really here

Depending on WHERE this AA will be there are lots of ways they can do this.

If they sit her on a rock, like she does in many scenes in the movie, then they can shift a lot of the mechanical componentry into the rock beneath her.

I have no idea how the hair will function, but I get the impression that it will be totally separate from her body, except where the hair itself physically attaches to her head. So none of the hair control systems, etc will actually be in her body. This also frees up room for the parts that will control her body movements.

Ariel, as Nautilus said, has got to be an incredibly difficult build. She is very expressive in her body language. She moves very fluidly and in very complex ways. Worst of all, the way she moves is very well known and if they don't get it right, it will look really wrong. So I'm sure they are putting a lot of very hard work and long nights into making her perfect. There are quite a number of tricks they can use to pull as much of the physical control systems out of her actual body while still connecting them to the AA itself. It will be cool to see if they leak pics of her being built like they did with Potato Head

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I really can't wait to see what she looks like! I'm not a princess fan, but I have a special "bond" with Ariel (I sang "Part of Your World" in my high school musical 17 years ago).

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

i cant wait to see it all done

and they lived happily ever after

• "I Break Things"

Given the recent track record with AA's... hopefully her hair doesn't fall off!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Here Comes Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

• Collision speed....FULL!

^Well, it is the same builder, so we'll see!

• Californian Fox-Wolf

LOL, I was just going to say that.

Although, it could be worse. Like her hair freezing up in mid-animation...Actually, that doesn't sound worse at all. It's still bad, but not as bad as Ariel's hair falling off the second before opening.
    Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
    I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    ^Well, it is the same builder, so we'll see!
    Geeze, doesn't Disney build ANYTHING in house anymore? In the heydey of AAs in the 60s, they were actually built by Imagineers and artists under Disney supervision.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

When the Blue Celler opens up this week again it will be more focused on the Little Mermaid ride, the wonderful world of color and the silly swings. So I cant wait to see what they show use.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    When the Blue Celler opens up this week again it will be more focused on the Little Mermaid ride, the wonderful world of color and the silly swings. So I cant wait to see what they show use.
    If this is true... then it is truly amazing how badly they are trying to sweep GSS under the rug!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Californian Fox-Wolf

If this is true... then it is truly amazing how badly they are trying to sweep GSS under the rug!
    GSS? Never heard of it. Please explain.
    Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
    I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by simmer View Post
    GSS? Never heard of it. Please explain.
    Goofy's Sky School

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast