Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Matterhorn & Big Thunder track replacement?

Since Space Mtn had to have its whole track replaced, I'm wondering if Matterhorn and Big Thunder won't need to be re-done as well? Or have the Matterhorn's tracks been replaced before?

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: Matterhorn & Big Thunder track replacement?

don't think matterhorn's has been before, but it could be in the future for it. it is the oldest steel coaster, after all. i think thunder feels fine, and it's had a lot of maintenance since the accident to ensure that everything is smooth.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Matterhorn has already gotten full track replacement over multiple refurbishments and Big Thunder doesn't need it. The only reason the previous space mountain needed track replacement was due to fatigue on the track supports caused by increased weight from the cars new sound system.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-14-2009 at 01:05 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Thunder has gone down at about 9:30 every night for the last few days because "Its Going Too Fast". I wonder what the cause of that is, and if it is track related.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Thunder has gone down at about 9:30 every night for the last few days because "Its Going Too Fast". I wonder what the cause of that is, and if it is track related.
    Why would it need to close for going faster than usual? The cars are designed for variation in speed conditions. If anything a worn out track would cause the cars to move slower, not faster.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Thats just what the CM told us each night. As for speed as a problem, if it goes over the crests of hills or around corners too fast, the whiplash could be to strong, or you could be pulled from the seat. After the crashes, they cant be to careful.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Thats just what the CM told us each night. As for speed as a problem, if it goes over the crests of hills or around corners too fast, the whiplash could be to strong, or you could be pulled from the seat. After the crashes, they cant be to careful.
    I sincerely doubt 5 mph faster on an already slow ride would give someone whiplash or throw them from their seat. I don't think that's a valid reason for closing the attraction at 9:30, it has to be for other reasons that aren't being revealed to us. It should be perfectly normal for a roller coaster to have variations in speed throughout the day.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-14-2009 at 01:21 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Haha hold your fire captain, I'm just the messanger, armed with facts I did not create. If you care to speculate on the actual cause of nightly BTMRR closures, go for it!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Haha hold your fire captain, I'm just the messanger, armed with facts I did not create. If you care to speculate on the actual cause of nightly BTMRR closures, go for it!
    Perhaps filming, they have done this many times recently.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Naa, no carts were running through and maintanance personel were grouped at the station and walking the track which had its worklights on.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Naa, no carts were running through and maintanance personel were grouped at the station and walking the track which had its worklights on.
    The idea that mechanics were walking the track tells me its something other than speed. The wheel system on the cars running hot or cold are what cause a roller coaster to go faster or slower, not the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Matterhorn has already gotten full track replacement over multiple refurbishments and Big Thunder doesn't need it. The only reason the previous space mountain needed track replacement was due to fatigue on the track supports caused by increased weight from the cars new sound system.
    Thanks Seawolf. I suspected Matterhorn wouldn't still have its entire original track after fifty years! But with Space Mountain, I'm really surprised that the extra weight from the sound system would push that envelope so much.

• "I Break Things"

Thunder is actually faster in the day then at night. This is due to a hot track and hot train... the wheels are grease packed so it likes to be warm. A "cold" train on a cold night can actually bring the attraction down due to timing...

If a train is really "hot" it can take the attraction down when it hits BZ4. I've only seen it done once and it was a pretty heavy train.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

as always, we end up with more questions then answers.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Thunder is actually faster in the day then at night. This is due to a hot track and hot train... the wheels are grease packed so it likes to be warm. A "cold" train on a cold night can actually bring the attraction down due to timing...

If a train is really "hot" it can take the attraction down when it hits BZ4. I've only seen it done once and it was a pretty heavy train.
    Precisely, the temperature of the wheels and weight play a factor into the speed. If it were going too fast the simple solution is to load less people, not close entirely. This is the procedure for Space Mountain when they see the cars running abnormally fast. It leads me to believe something else broke down on the attraction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast