Page 13 of 139 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516233863113 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    The one thing that bothers me is, why are the spooky trees painted in dark colors, why could'nt they be highlighted with spooky directional lighting, or accented with paint so you could make them out in the darkness? There are ways you could paint them and no make them too cartoony.
    Not everyone agrees that the highlighting is too subtle: Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3
    And, I just realised that the Haunted Castle cars have hearse decorations, so maybe the Doombuggies are a type of hearse, and a hearse was a type of carriage. "And now a carriage approaches, to take you into the boundless realm of the supernatural". But the debate as to what the Doombuggies actually are in the realm of the HM will be a point of debate on message boards for years to come.
    Yes, well, one way to guarantee that the debate will never be resolved is to not bother actually reading other peoples' arguments. I brought up the Haunted Castle cars precisely because they prove that the doombuggies are not hearses, or anything else. And we've established that the "carriage" announcement has no weight in this debate, because it would have to be there no matter what the doombuggy is or is not supposed to be, and the GH has to call the vehicle something.
    Last edited by HBG2; 07-23-2009 at 07:53 PM.

• It's all about Theme!

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Ghost Host (crypt) - Aaahh, there you are! And just in time, there's a little matter I forgot to mention, beware of hitchhiking ghosts! They have selected you to fill our quota, and they'll haunt you until you return.
    Let's look at this line a little more closely.

What exactly is the quota of the mansion? The amount of people being haunted or the amount of people becoming ghosts?

Personally the statement from the GH stating that they will haunt you until you return obviously gives you the message that you are indeed living. I have never heard of a ghost haunting another ghost. Is this at all possible?

Then there is a question to wether the Hitchhiking ghosts are trying to haunt you until you return as a way to get you to become a permanent member of this retirement club.

This is like reading a novel, you have to analyze the author's intention. In this case X, who wrote the script I believe.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• is too darn hot.

The quota is 1000 ghosts? As the ghost host says, "There are nine hundred and ninety-nine happy haunts here. But there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers? If you insist on lagging behind, you may not need to volunteer...[evil laughter]"

By the way, is it just me or does Paul Frees have one of the best evil laughs of all time?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Let's look at this line a little more closely.

What exactly is the quota of the mansion? The amount of people being haunted or the amount of people becoming ghosts?

Personally the statement from the GH stating that they will haunt you until you return obviously gives you the message that you are indeed living. I have never heard of a ghost haunting another ghost. Is this at all possible?

Then there is a question to wether the Hitchhiking ghosts are trying to haunt you until you return as a way to get you to become a permanent member of this retirement club.

This is like reading a novel, you have to analyze the author's intention. In this case X, who wrote the script I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    The quota is 1000 ghosts? As the ghost host says, "There are nine hundred and ninety-nine happy haunts here. But there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers? If you insist on lagging behind, you may not need to volunteer...[evil laughter]"

By the way, is it just me or does Paul Frees have one of the best evil laughs of all time?
    This is all pretty sound, IMO. There's the singers in the crypt: "If you would like to join our jamboree, there's a simple rule that's compulsory: Mortals pay a token fee. Rest in peace; the haunting's free. So hurry back, we would like your company." There's also the Little Leota spiel: "Hurry back. Be sure to bring your death certificate if you decide to join us. Make final arrangements now."

One way to look at it is that you don't know for sure if you survived the fall. There are a few anxious moments there, but it looks more and more like you did survive. So you re-enter the world of the living, but with a little sigh of relief. They've made it abundantly clear that they're looking for one more resident, but you've narrowly escaped that fate. This time. (They're not giving up on you, so watch your back.)

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    One way to look at it is that you don't know for sure if you survived the fall. There are a few anxious moments there, but it looks more and more like you did survive. So you re-enter the world of the living, but with a little sigh of relief. They've made it abundantly clear that they're looking for one more resident, but you've narrowly escaped that fate. This time. (They're not giving up on you, so watch your back.)
    ...And that's why they give out awesome little certificates to kids that say "I escaped becoming the 1000th ghost!"
    My sister has one. I would steal it if it didn't have her name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    BellhopPrincess, thanks very much! Some great ideas!
    You're welcome! Take and post pictures if you use any of 'em, I wanna see what you do!
    Last edited by CaitlinMcFly; 07-23-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: i hate back to back posts from one person, so i didn't want to subject all of you to that ;)
    dreams. come. true.

• Banned User

This is all pretty sound, IMO. There's the singers in the crypt: "If you would like to join our jamboree, there's a simple rule that's compulsory: Mortals pay a token fee. Rest in peace; the haunting's free. So hurry back, we would like your company." There's also the Little Leota spiel: "Hurry back. Be sure to bring your death certificate if you decide to join us. Make final arrangements now."

Yeah, a lot of theme park and thrill rides have the suggestion of danger, and narrowly escaping at the end. They give the illusion of danger, and that is a large part of their appeal. But aside from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (a rare exception to the rule) you always come out of it unscathed, with maybe just a reminder that if you're foolish enough to come back, you're risking your neck again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    HBG2, have you ever considered writing a book?

I think you should.
    I'm flattered, but it'll never happen. How could you do it without pictures? But most of the relevant pictures are Disney's property and you'd have to have a license, which they wouldn't grant because Surrell is already out there and they would not expect any sales.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Yeah, a lot of theme park and thrill rides have the suggestion of danger, and narrowly escaping at the end. They give the illusion of danger, and that is a large part of their appeal. But aside from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (a rare exception to the rule) you always come out of it unscathed, with maybe just a reminder that if you're foolish enough to come back, you're risking your neck again.
    Again, good points. You've had some spooks banging doors and jumping around in a vaguely threatening manner, but nothing you'd call danger, no brush with death. POTC has you sailing through a cannon battle and a burning powder magazine. The fall off the roof might be intended to supply that.

• Banned User

Double post. See below.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 07-23-2009 at 10:17 PM.

• Banned User

I'm flattered, but it'll never happen. How could you do it without pictures? But most of the relevant pictures are Disney's property and you'd have to have a license, which they wouldn't grant because Surrell is already out there and they would not expect any sales.

Again, good points. You've had some spooks banging doors and jumping around in a vaguely threatening manner, but nothing you'd call danger, no brush with death. POTC has you sailing through a cannon battle and a burning powder magazine. The fall off the roof might be intended to supply that.
    A little clarification. When I refer to danger, I'm not talking necessarily about physical peril, i.e. if you fall out of an attic, you could break your neck. It's more of a supernatural danger: if you go into a haunted mansion, some of its denizens might be out to get you, and who knows what they might want!

There are a lot of hints and suggestions of danger throughout the ride, particularly in the Ghost Host's spiel: "Welcome, foolish mortals...there's no turning back now...which presents this interesting challenge: finding a way out!...any volunteers?...of course, there's always my way (followed by a hanging man)."

Of course, as you point out, you fall out of a window into a graveyard, and the COD looks dangerous; who knows what unspeakable, ghastly creatures are trying to get out, with only a thin door between you and them? When you pass by the clock, a ghostly shadow of a hand seems to reach for you. In the graveyard, ghouls pop out of graves at you, etc. They could've made the ride much scarier, of course, and made a conscious decision not to do so. But the ride wouldn't be complete without hints that you were lucky to make it out alive from your trip through a haunted mansion.

• Yoiks!

It's not cannon, but in the LP the GH says "You will not be harmed, but you will not be allowed to leave..."
    This argues that we don't die. I never considered that we did. The music, exit sign, HHG and LL all suggest we are alive.

If we are not supposed to acknowledge the doombuggies, it is safe to assume we can also ignore the temporary flight we achieve. I believe Ken Anderson had an idea for a "Haunted scaffolding" that carried us around. So perhaps we are being propelled/carried by ghosts.

I guess we CAN add the Doombuggies to the list of ghosts.

As for a great dinner menu, I've always wanted to serve breaded rat. When you slice it open, it bleeds.

Unfortunately, I don't have the recipe. Basically, you take a chicken breast and stuff it with cranberry sauce (the blood). The breast is wedge shaped. The point makes the rats nose. Slice the meat twice and fold up to give the shape of ears.
    I don't know how it was cooked, but I'm guessing it was fried. Add a stringy bread stick to make the tail. I wish I had pictures of this. It's really cool. (You might want to make a few extra servings that don't look like rats. I'm sure some people won't want to eat them.

One of those things that's so obvious that you don't see it. It's been pointed out by MasterGracey on another thread that the computer wallpaper of Leota's Spellbook has been altered from the original. Once it's point out, it's a "D'oh" moment for those of us who hadn't noticed it earlier.

Seems a little strange that they would be so squeamish about the word "Death." But there's an additional alteration that MG didn't catch. See it? The scythe has been turned into a walking stick.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/f...eance_1024.jpg
    PhotoMatt pics - 7.21.09

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Image searching on photobucket yielded some very minor treasures, which may as well find a home here in The Thread..

Old Disneyworld attic bride
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...g?t=1248456095

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1248456138

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1248456312

And a very lovely nighttime shot of the DL HM
    Haunted mansion image by Espresso8110 on Photobucket
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• TTA Traveler

I love those snake door handles. That's probably the best picture I've ever seen of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Ray View Post
    I love those snake door handles. That's probably the best picture I've ever seen of one.
    That's my favorite of this lot too. Notice how the handle seems reversed, with the head over the through-piece and the tail ball hanging out in space? This is the door in the changing portrait hall, to the right of tiger gal. It's the only one (at DL anyway) with the doorknob on the right.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Ohhh, that nighttime shot is soooooo pretty.

Kreepy, I realllly like the recipe for dead rat chicken. Instead of being fried, it could probably be done with Shake'n Bake (go ahead, you mature Threadheads, say the line from the commercial) and then baked with toothpicks holding it together. In my opinion, I don't think you'd NEED to make it look like a rat necissarily. The fact that a thick blood-like substance comes out when you cut into it is probably a gross and delicious sign as it is.
    I'm keeping all of the party-planning things in mind. I'm trying to arrange a Halloween party at my house this year (Bassy, you and SingerSoul are invited because you're my brother and I lurve you and your beautiful girl!) and all of these things are really cool ideas for food.

EDIT: I'll share my brilliant idea for invites for you...Little Ouija boards! Print the image out (try and find a clean image of a vintage spirit board) and paste it to little pieces of plywood or to index cards. Tape a little scrap of paper to the back, like after using the board you took notes on the letters and their possible meaning, which spell out the date, time, and location of your party. ...And possibly add a disclaimer that you don't condone the usage of those babies for contacting the spirit world. I'm not really against it from a religious standpoint or anything, but I've had some freaky experiences and heard some stories. *shudder*
    Last edited by CaitlinMcFly; 07-24-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: more ideas!!
    dreams. come. true.