Page 14 of 139 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617243964114 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    One of those things that's so obvious that you don't see it. It's been pointed out by MasterGracey on another thread that the computer wallpaper of Leota's Spellbook has been altered from the original. Once it's point out, it's a "D'oh" moment for those of us who hadn't noticed it earlier.

Seems a little strange that they would be so squeamish about the word "Death." But there's an additional alteration that MG didn't catch. See it? The scythe has been turned into a walking stick.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/f...eance_1024.jpg
    PhotoMatt pics - 7.21.09
    When you say it was altered from the original...you mean thats' what it looked like when the Mansion first opened? When was it changed? And by the way, I'm real disappointed that they would water down the Grim Reaper like that.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    When you say it was altered from the original...you mean thats' what it looked like when the Mansion first opened? When was it changed? And by the way, I'm real disappointed that they would water down the Grim Reaper like that.
    The spellbook has not been around long. It was installed in 2005. It's got the Reaper in it, always has. When they made a computer wallpaper out of it last month, they photoshopped "Death" and the scythe out of it, for some reason. [see next post]
    Last edited by HBG2; 07-24-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Hold the phone. Looks like the photoshopping of the original artwork is something they did for the pin.

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

Can nothing ever be left alone?
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinker Bell View Post
    Can nothing ever be left alone?
    Huh?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Huh?

In reference to the images being changed from Madame Leota's Spell Book for adaptation for the new HM pins. Why not use the same designs?
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• Go DCA, Go! :D

^Beacuse it would look occulty.
    "Miley Cyrus is an abomination to the Walt Disney Company and a talentless little brat."
    -jfsebastian

• Yoiks!

Food, glorious food!

Here's some more food ideas I've culled from the net.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

My personal favorite one is cooking a nice pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, so the outside is all crispy and has a kind of rough texture. Cut a slit for a mouth and add little broken pieces of raw spaghetti, and it looks rather like some nasty mutant worm while being delicious pork stuff and bacon!

I can't figure out their squeamishness over the Grim Reaper and the word "Death" on the pin version of the spellbook. It's a spellbook, with mock Tarot cards, and they're worried that it's too "occulty" with GR in there?

It's bizarre what they think someone might object to and what they think will be accepted. Who buys these overpriced trinkets prized collector's items anyway? Hardcore HM fans and Disneyheads. Disney makes this merch so hard to get that only the fans know about them, can find them, will camp out overnight and fight like cats for the opportunity to pay big bucks for them. Did they really think that someone in that demographic would say, "Hey, WHOA! This thing's got the Grim Reaper on it, PLUS the word 'Death,' just like the original! Sorry, but that crosses the line."

How do you plead? Occulty or not occulty?

Speaking of offensive, let's get back to that party food. Where are the octopi hors d'oeuvres? I tell ya, I was so ahead of my time. Actually, no. I remember a segment on a local TV show from about 1978 or 79, about a guy who made a tidy sum catering to punk parties in the San Francisco area. One item was a rope hanging from the ceiling with knots every six inches or so, and he inserted buffalo-wing style chicken drummettes in each knot. You just yank 'em out and enjoy. Another item was a real bathroom sink fixture that was used to hold the dip. (Just like it says on the Adams rubber vomit: "Looks real.") The big favorite, however, was the baby doll submerged in a small aquarium full of red jello.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The spellbook has not been around long. It was installed in 2005. It's got the Reaper in it, always has. When they made a computer wallpaper out of it last month, they photoshopped "Death" and the scythe out of it, for some reason. [see next post]
    Oh, ok. As long as they don't change it in the ride itself. I did download it to my computer, and it looks very cool as a background, even without the scythe

I went ahead and fixed it, nerd that I am. Color is slightly off, but otherwise it turned out okay.

For other nerds, this is going to scream, "gif me! gif me!"

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey1969 View Post
    ^Beacuse it would look occulty.
    I can totally understand how Disney would see that as a big enough issue to want to change it on its merch. They'd get complaints from parents of pin-collecting kids saying that Disney is trying to teach their kids something occultist, or trying to scare them too much by the fact that it says DEATH in big caps across the image. Granted, if a parent complains about the occult aspect, it could be asked as to why they allowed their children to have something that resembles a spellbook. Either way, I can understand it.

....And relate to it. So this past year I had a blast doing themed Halloween music, doing a tiki/zombie themed sort of deal while playing music by The Ghastly Ones (who have done a cover of "Grim Grinning Ghosts" in surf style). This year I wanted to change it up and do a different theme--either pirate, Alice in Wonderland, or gypsy. My friends and I have settled on gypsy if we don't have a party, and a variation on our Alice idea should we have the party. For gypsy, we would set up a gypsy tent/encampment in my front yard and modify a few storebought decorations to go with the theme better. We would all dress the part and do totally fake palm and "tarot" readings (I'd make my own silly deck) just for fun for the kids.

We were originally going to have actual readings and stuff, but I thought about the neighborhood in which I live. I know the majority of my neighbors are a bit, er, conservative, considering the "Vote Yes on Prop --" and "----- for President" signs scattered across lawns and houses up and down my streets. I volunteer at my siblings' school, which is attatched to the neighborhood, and many of the parents who might get upset about the minor occultist things we were going to do are the same parents who know me as a PTA officer's daughter who does facepainting and runs the PTA website. I don't want these people to think that I want to lead their children down the devil's path just because I'm dressed like a gypsy and holding a pack of tarot cards on Halloween.
    Thus, I can understand completely why Disney would change something that minor...they don't want a bad rep with the same people who rely on them for a certain thing.
    dreams. come. true.

• is too darn hot.

Quick DL HM update that I've been meaning to do. Leota hasn't been floating for about a month and the spiel is out of sync with the sound effects. The sound effects play before the the line of the spiel calling on them.

Also interesting is that the floating crystal ball can be seen in the back of the room covered in a black cloth about ten feet above the carpet.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Quick DL HM update that I've been meaning to do. Leota hasn't been floating for about a month and the spiel is out of sync with the sound effects. The sound effects play before the the line of the spiel calling on them.

Also interesting is that the floating crystal ball can be seen in the back of the room covered in a black cloth about ten feet above the carpet.
    Pure speculation, but I wonder if it's possible that they are planning on giving DL Floating Leota.2 for the 40th? That would be a nice surprise.

For those who don't know, the floating Leota at DL and the one at WDW may look superficially similar, but they are radically different. The DL version is still a front-projection on a white face, while the WDW version uses an internal projection system, similar in concept to the version they tried at DL in the 1990's, but VASTLY improved. The current DL version is a head-ache, since you're shooting her face at a moving target and the alignment frequently gets off. It wouldn't surprise me if the sorry state of Mdm L over the last month or more (on the table, and out of synch) is not being fixed because they're about to replace the whole shooting match soon anyway.

That's speculation. I have heard no hints or rumors.