Page 2 of 139 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

I am intrigued by the Mystic Point direction..but I agree, HBG, looking at that poster now for the first time, my initial thought was "Why the hell is the monkey from the Pirates movies there?". So hopefully the finished attraction will coalesce the Museum of the Weird/Adventurer's Club type elements with the HM we all know and love successfully...

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    If you haven't seen it, I recommend all thread-heads troop on over to PhotoMatt's Disney World trip report for some awesome WDW Mansion shots, including far and away the creepiest photo of Constance I have seen yet....definitely good stuff.
    Umm, can you post a link please?

• Storyteller

This is my first post in this ongoing series of spectacular Haunted Mansion threads, so I apologize if I'm not as encyclopedic of the Mansion as some of you are. On topic, I think a resurrection of Crump's Museum of the Weird concept would be great to see put together. When planning attractions for WDW, Marc Davis said he wasn't interested in repeating themselves and stressed a slew of new attractions for that park instead of carbon copies from DL's. Obviously, as it turned out, a lot of copies were made and Davis wasn't really satisfied. It would be in his spirit that this new Mansion variates so much from the others and is completely unique. I hope they take it in that direction.

Yeah,I dont like the monkey all over the place concept,is the monkey takeing on the role of the raven.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Supernatural monkeys are man's true ruin"!

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Oh wow, I hadn't realized that Dal Mckennon had passed. I just recently had to correct something about him in a video that online personality the Nostalgia Critic (AKA That Guy With The Glasses, AKA Doug Walker) had posted, his "Top 11 Cereal Mascots." He credited Dal with lead vocals in "Grim Grinning Ghosts" instead of Thurl Ravenscroft in spite of--in the next breath--talking about Thurl's work as Tony the Tiger. He has yet to correct this info on the page for the video, dagnabbit!! (/rant)

And thanks for the positive kicks about the thread title. I know Ash Williams is a little out of place in the Mansion, but so is Luke Skywalker. At least with Ash we'd have a giant chin to protect us should we get scared.
    dreams. come. true.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Ravens are associated with graveyards and death.

Monkeys? Not so much.

• Inhospitable about happy

There's a VERY famous ghost story called "The Monkey's Paw." If you haven't read it, DO. It's one of the best ever.

But this one doesn't look like that sort. Reminds me of Abu in Aladdin or the POTC movie monkey (as darkf mentioned).

This bodes ill.

Maybe they market-tested and found out Hong Kong audiences have got a fevah and the only cure is more monkeys. Can't get enough of them monkeys. Hey, maybe that's why it's Hong Kong? Or not.

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Ravens are associated with graveyards and death.

Monkeys? Not so much.
    Nonsense, I'm likened to monkeys all the time.

BTW, I love long-forgotten HM effects, but my army WILL prevail.

• Mr. Ghost

both monkeys and ravens have been associated to trickster gods or spirits.

• Darkride Devotee

I was wondering if when we might get around to discussing the HK Mystic Manor.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone...
    I like the idea that Disney is trying something different with the new mansion. This gives us a fresh new ride to analyze to the nth degree, and compare/contrast with the classic HM.

The trackless ride system is a great idea, and I think it will enhance the ride in surprising ways.

Yeah that monkey, well, I'm not too excited about that. This seems like more of the dreaded "story" that Disney insists is so important for rides nowadays.
    I wonder how many of the classic HM show scenes with survive the trip to Mystic Manor? Surely the Ballroom (or some variation of it) must be in there. It's a show stopper, and arguably the single most impressive scene in any dark ride. Also I hope they do a Graveyard scene too. I think the lack of the graveyard hurts the Paris mansion.

The above concept art reminds me of a windy version of the Seance Circle the way the cars are rotating around the gold statue. Now could that mean Madame Leota is not in the Manor? They can't leave out a haunted crystal ball from a house that's supposedly full of various exotic and perhaps magical artifacts can they?

This scene sure looks like the new Corridor of Doors to me.

Well it will be fun to watch this project develop, and learn if any of these early thoughts are correct.

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Guy View Post

The above concept art reminds me of a windy version of the Seance Circle the way the cars are rotating around the gold statue.
    Interesting! Also looks like some changing portraits in the background.

This scene sure looks like the new Corridor of Doors to me.
    With the Indiana Jones dart room effect added. A bit redundant in Hong Kong, as the native-attack scene in their Jungle Cruise uses it also.

I wonder how many of the classic HM show scenes with survive the trip to Mystic Manor? Surely the Ballroom (or some variation of it) must be in there. It's a show stopper, and arguably the single most impressive scene in any dark ride. Also I hope they do a Graveyard scene too. I think the lack of the graveyard hurts the Paris mansion.
    From the pictures it looks as if each room ties into a single culture (Asian, African, etc.), so if that carries through the entire ride, it'll be harder to bring over those classic Haunted Mansion scenes...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The more I look at the art, the less it looks like anything recognizable from the stateside Mansions....which could be bad, or good. Even Phantom Manor looks like it shares more common traits, just judging from the art shown so far.

Re: the thread title...I approve. "Dead by dawn! DEAD BY DAWN!"

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

Remember that the Chinese view the supernatural very differently than we do stateside, so it's natural that they should change the mansion to reflect the native beliefs. It's entirely possible that, to them, monkeys are more closely related to supernatural than ravens are.

So yeah, it's definitely going to be more of a departure from the original mansion than anything we've seen so far; possibly comparable to the Tokyo TOT's difference from the other two.

Interesting! Also looks like some changing portraits in the background.
    Looks like it's windy in both scenes. My theory: the pictures are normal when the room is entered, and as the green mist comes in, fans are turned on around the room and the pictures animate to reflect this.

EDIT:
    Someone's probably already pointed this out, but look how big the doombuggies are!
    Last edited by Garfieldo; 07-15-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Its hard for me to believe there would be no bride in this version.

Page 2 of 139 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast