Page 4 of 139 FirstFirst 1234567142954104 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    To be filed under "random tomfoolery".....

Just came across this on deviantart, a photo of the set for the Haunted Mansion film. Nothing earth shaking, and far too many mortal children involved, but the set design even without digital extensions is rather nice...

Submitted here: Haunted Mansion by ~ZeroKuran on deviantART
    Here's a another photo set chronicling a visit to the movie sets in 2004: 2004-01-25 The Haunted Mansion Movie - a set on Flickr

The one thing everyone agrees was good about the movie is the set design (or that, and maybe the musical score too).

• Big Al fan

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Based on the photos of the veichles themselves, I must say they look a lot like the veichles in Journey Into Imagination originally. Based on that fact, the trains might have an omnimover loading style loading, but would break off into small trains or individual cars on the ride.
    "There was.....blood on the saddle, and.....blood all around, and a great big, puddle of .....blood on the ground."

-Big Al-

Come visit my blog Disney in Review over at
    http://disneyfanreviews.blogspot.com/

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

A meet would be fun. Someone start a thread in the Meets forum so we can discuss it there and not have it interfere with general HM discussions.

I really truly hope they do something special the day of, even if it's just buttons. There IS the question of what day celebrations will happen, depending on what day Disney will recognize as the actual 40th. They could go with popular belief, and not with what has been established in the course of these threads.
    On that note, I think we've made a bit of history. We have done a heckuva lot of interesting things, even if it's just simple establishment of things no one else has noticed. Good job, folks, good job
    dreams. come. true.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Ok I am going to go a little off topic here. When "The Magical Express" was taking us to the airport, it passed an antique shop that was having a sale outside. Doing my best to see what they were selling, I noticed a chair. But not any ordinary chair, a familiar one.. Regnald's chair! i tried to take a picture of it, but the bus was moving, so it came out blurry.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

More fresh meat for the new thread. A lovely photo of one of the gristlier residents of Phantom Manor, who gets used a fair amount in video ads for the stateside HM's...one of those clips Disney uses over and over in promotional materials.

from skeleton by ~TatAnMusEtte on deviantART
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Oooh, creepy. I like it
    dreams. come. true.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    Ok I am going to go a little off topic here. When "The Magical Express" was taking us to the airport, it passed an antique shop that was having a sale outside. Doing my best to see what they were selling, I noticed a chair. But not any ordinary chair, a familiar one.. Regnald's chair! i tried to take a picture of it, but the bus was moving, so it came out blurry.
    Do you mean the chair that J. Thaddeus Toad Esq. photographed and posted, about 3/4 of the way through the last Thread? And some guy named MasterGracey13 was the very next post, commenting on it?

Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

• Banned User

Yes, that chair, but it wasnt being sold at the same place (J. Thaddeus Toad Esq saw his in Fountain Valley CA, I saw mine just outside of Orlando FL.) So, lets please refrain from the Sarcasm.

So they are two different chairs. Okay. Your description fit the other one to a tee, which didn't make a lot of sense since it was posted relatively recently and you had even commented about it at the time, so I asked.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    So they are two different chairs.
    The chair I saw was also relatively darker than the one that he spotted.

• Banned User

A lovely photo of one of the gristlier residents of Phantom Manor, who gets used a fair amount in video ads for the stateside HM's
    The WDC has been roasted on MiceChat before for using images from one park to promote another. Using an image from Europe to promote stateside resorts is pushing it, though. I guess they don't think casual visitors will ever spot it.

By the way, who picked the title of this thread? I like it, but it's not one of the many that were suggested at the end of The Thread 3.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    The chair I saw was also relatively darker than the one that he spotted.
    Probably mahogany. I did a little googling, and it's looking more and more like this was a commercially available chair style, often in mahogany.

Hidden World Treasures

Speaking of styles, thanks to organist over at DB.com we may have a winner for the ballroom glassware. You will recall that we identified the dinnerware. The DL HM uses Spode Blue Italian and WDW uses J & G Meakin Romantic England Red.

Well, we can now add the glassware style, so you can complete your set (except for the silver). It's "King's Crown" by Tiffin/Franciscan (1950-1965). Since they stopped manufacture in 1965 but it's a popular style, there are a lot of knock-offs out there.

It's difficult to narrow down the King's Crown items that are in the HMs for two reasons. First, the water goblets and the wine glasses are very similar, except that the wine glasses have a slightly bigger flare at the top. Second, the flashing (colored top) comes in cranberry and ruby, and it's not easy to tell which one the HM has (probably cranberry, IMO). So the correct title for the glassware is either King's Crown Ruby-Flashed or King's Crown Cranberry-Flashed, by Tiffin/Franciscan (originally), and the items are either water goblets or wine glasses (or maybe both?).

The knock-offs have small but noticeable variations, so it's hard to tell from close-up photos of them if you've got exactly what the HM has.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    The WDC has been roasted on MiceChat before for using images from one park to promote another. Using an image from Europe to promote stateside resorts is pushing it, though. I guess they don't think casual visitors will ever spot it.

By the way, who picked the title of this thread? I like it, but it's not one of the many that were suggested at the end of The Thread 3.
    The casual visitor doesn't spot it. It's just the regulars and the fans, and we make up a relatively small percentage of total people who see the commercials or prints, so no one has a reason to complain really. On that note, I WILL say that the recent ads for Nighttastic that show the Electrical Parade right on the water in Paradise Pier really bother me just because it looks very obviously like a composite of other ads, but that's more of a quality issue I have with them from a technical standpoint.

I picked the title. I felt like we needed some one-handed Bruce Campbell up in this joint, and as for the name choice itself, I wanted to be original.
    dreams. come. true.

• Banned User

Ok, I am again going to go off topic.

I finally unpacked my suitcase and have typed up all my HM notes! So here is a full report of my trip to the WDW HM:

July 7th 2009:

My plane arrived around 10:00 Am so I didn’t make it to the park until about 11:30 or 1:00. At that time the park was extremely busy. The Haunted Mansion’s line was about 1 hour long. The Castmembers catering to the line were wildly out of character, some even rude. But I do understand, for it was the peak (and heat) of the day. When I finally reached the mansion’s front door my experience changed. If you waited to be the first one in (I did) you were able to see the full transformation of the Master Gracey portrait, otherwise you would see it at either the 3rd or last stage. The Stretching room spiel was still shortened, but no one can do anything about that. The loading area through the ballroom scene were absolutely perfect. Once the doombuggies arrived in the attic I quickly noticed that the portraits were out of sync with Constance’s vows, something the average guest wouldn’t notice. Later in the afternoon (about 6) I noticed that Constance’s voice and face were out of sync with each other! Somehow (and thankfully) it was fine the next time I went through that night. In the graveyard the only problem was that the Caretaker was lit so badly that you could barely see him. And finally, as you exited, the iron chandeliers were covered extremely unrealistically with cobwebs. But, Overall a great show.

July 8th 2009:

I was only able to make it to the Mansion at night this day, so my report is solely based on 5:00 PM- 11:00 PM. There were very few problems at this time. The first one I noticed was that after the stretch room finished stretching, it shook as if a small earthquake hit. In the ballroom there was a slight reflection from the attic scene showing, ruining the Peppers Ghost effect. Other than those there were some repeat issues such as the Caretaker’s lighting and the exit chandeliers.

July 9th 2009:

Today the mansion was at its best. One of my biggest let downs was that there was stroller parking right in front of the gates, totally ruining the effect of a haunted house. When I stepped into my doombuggy I realized that the “Ghost lowering the bar” mechanism was not working, and the CM had to do it for him. Some repeat problems were the caretaker and the exit cobwebs. Overall this was an excellent day.

July 10th:

Again, there was stroller parking in front of the gates. Inside the Mansion the changing portraits were just slightly out of sync, and the last window’s curtain was open about 5 or 6 inches, revealing the cleverly painted backdrop. The footsteps on the Grand Staircase were unfortunately not working and there was a reflection in the Grand Ballroom’s glass, but not from the attic. The caretakers lighting was still horrible. And finally, the cobwebs at the exit were still wildly unrealistic.

You can find 2 reference pictures regarding the Strollers and Exit Cobwebs on my blog (link below).

• We Go On.

HBG2, I looked at those goblets, looked in my cupboards, compared it to the picture of the HM goblet, and it is the same down to every squiggly detail and the shape of the "crown". However, it may be a knock-off. It is entirely green. Darn... oh well. Maybe I can trade them sets. Mine will match the ghosts very nicely.

And MasterGracey13, when I visited the WDW Mansion, the lap bar mechanism didn't work for me either, but a cast member didn't even close it himself. I was all the way through the music room when I decided to close it myself. Well, one thing good came out of that- I got to do the Ghost Host's job. Muahahahahahahahaha!

EDIT: I actually have that real set, the same one they use in the HM, but the goblets are missing. And the glasses may or may not be knock-offs.
    Last edited by WDITrent; 07-17-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Reflect actual username of post quoted. AND LATER... to add that I do indeed have the set, but not the goblets