Page 41 of 139 FirstFirst ... 163138394041424344516691 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

The second edition of Jason Surrell's The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies just arrived in the mail. Here's a page-by-page breakdown of the changes. I guess this qualifies as a....

SuperPost

I'm assuming you've got your old copy in your lap. Here we go:

Cover is the same, except for a small Updated 40th Anniversary Edition logo.

p.15 Evergreen House replaced with the Shipley-Lydecker house

p.19 Frankenstein replaced with an Anderson concept sketch of the Headless Horseman.

pp. 25-26 This is major. Included now is a fairly full description of a Marc Davis rough script for the whole HM dated July 27, 1964. Too much to describe here; we'll come back later. Very cool. Pirate pic replaced with concept sketch for the 64 script. Two extra pages appear at this point. Obviously, Surrell felt he had slighted Davis's contributions in the first editon. Part of one page finishes the description of the 64 script, and the rest is concept artwork from Davis and X that we've seen before, EXCEPT...
    THE X ATENCIO CONCEPT SKETCH OF THE 'MAN IN THE WEB' IS INCLUDED. Surrell denies that the corpse part ever was used, which is probably wrong.

p. 33 A different Davis Séance room concept sketch is used (the one it replaces is simply moved back to those two added pages).

p. 38 Adds the old etching that probably served as direct inspiration for the WDW building.

p. 57 Concept sketch of PM hanged man replaced with Neil Engel concept art showing the intended effect of the new stretchroom sound effects at WDW (showing bats coming down, etc.). A description of the new WDW rooms is squeezed onto the page.

pp. 58-60 Text rearranged and updated to reflect changes to portrait hall at DL in 05 and WDW in 07. Most of the art and photos on p. 59 are changed accordingly. Nice concept art for WDW changing portrait addition. You've seen it before but it's nice to have a good copy.

Two pages added for "The Endless Staircase" at WDW. Nice photos and two GREAT pieces of Ken Anderson concept art. It turns out the glowing footsteps are a Ken Anderson idea, and the staircases are partially inspired by the Winchester Mystery House. Of course, if you've been reading these Threads all along, HA, you knew that already! Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

p. 68 Too bad, the pic of the CoD model has been replaced with a pic of the new glowing wallpaper at WDW.

pp. 70-71 Surprisingly, the main text for the Séance circle remains the same. The pictures are changed to reflect floating Mdm L and the spellbook addition, and a sidebar is added. Nothing at all on the glowing Face behind Mdm L, replacing the ectoplasm.

pp. 78-79 Totally redone to reflect the Connie attic, plus two pages added. Thankfully, the attic model shot remains and that excellent shot of the phantom pianist. Some nice concept art, PLUS the full descriptions of each husband that CMs and others have had for awhile, so I guess those bios are official. Surrell seems unhappy with the idea that the widow in the stretchroom is Constance. He feels like arguing, but he bites his tongue.

p 80 The Hatbox Ghost page has a small but important change: Surrell now concedes that maybe the HBG was seen by the general public during a soft opening, but he still claims it was gone by the "official" opening. That's not quite right, but it's a step in the right direction, Jason.

The Movie section is unchanged, except that pp. 110-111, 122-123, and 128-129 have been eliminated.

That's it for the first breeze-thru. No doubt I've missed a few things, but that's most of it. Biggest deals: Nothing on the 40th anniversary; the Man in the Web concept art; the Marc Davis 1964 HM rough script; updated with nice art and photos for the additions of Jan 05, May 06, and Sept 07; and a grudging admission that the HBG may have been seen by the public after all.
    Last edited by HBG2; 08-12-2009 at 01:46 PM.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Sounds great. I better order one for myself.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Bloody H-E-double candlesticks!

This could get interesting — or ugly.

I just tweeted THIS after following JimHillMedia on Twitter. According to the original article's comments, DisMarks is now promoting the story.

If it contains inaccuracies and/or statements that can be disputed and you have the expertise, please, let the truth be known. At the very least, pose some questions and put forth a good argument, before everyone drinks the Kool-Aid.

Thank you,

H. B.

Would someone please be so kind as to send or point me to the HBG schematic image file?

If you require my email address, please request it via PM.

Thank you,

H. B.

P.S. I'd like a larger version than the one posted recently to this thread.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-12-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Would someone please be so kind as to send or point me to the HBG schematic image file?

If you require my email address, please request it via PM.

Thank you,

H. B.

P.S. I'd like a larger version than the one posted recently to this thread.
    That's all I've got, but GRD might have a larger scan.

Even with that, you can see that there's not much to the HBG after you pull off the head, hands, and plastic wrap. While you're tweeting, be sure to call Jim Hill on posting an amateur photoshop creation as a Disney copyrighted image.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

The one that was posted to the thread was from an ebay auction. You'll probably have to settle for the one there.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

There's a comments page for the article, but anyone who wants to post needs to register. Yeah, someone needs to correct him on most of it, especially the photo. I didn't notice the photoshop til I really looked at the photo, and anyone with eyes could tell you that the insert was digital. (That's not a comment on your photoshop abilities, HBG, there are some things you can't avoid when shooping, such as the pixelation on the bottom of the cane. Also, I had my boyfriend--who does digital imaging for a living from time to time--look at it with his expert eyes, and he could tell, too, based mostly on the random brown box under the figure when the rest of the photo is B&W.)
    My problem with the article is mostly that, when it comes down to it, the HBG is not technically an AA. He's a metal base with a head, a head in a box, two lights, and a moving elbow. Even without posting schematics of the figure and just going on hearsay, that's a logical conclusion. So how in the world could he have been taken apart and used as parts of other AAs if he wasn't really one to begin with other than his elbow? And therefore he couldn't have gone into more than maybe one figure--IF he was reused--unless it was as literal nuts and bolts? Perhaps he DID get used in the making of the eagle, but if that was the case, then the article should better articulate what parts would have specifically been used otherwise they're just making things up.

....Now I'm getting angry about it, it's like they just talked to people and didn't bother to look anything up. Someone go tell them how wrong they are, please!! And that they just sorta GUESSED on who owns the HBG photo!!! X(
    dreams. come. true.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The second edition of Jason Surrell's The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies just arrived in the mail. Here's a page-by-page breakdown of the changes. I guess this qualifies as a....
    Alright, I went ahead and ordered a copy on Amazon. It's only $13 afterall...

Thanks for the superpost

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Mr. Ghost

bad joke time: From seeing the flash pic of connie, I can now say the reason why she is crazy; Because Constance isn't all there!! (rimshot)

• We Go On.

^Well neither is the Hat Box Ghost, after all. Ba dum ching...

Speaking of brides, for better or worse, I just went ahead a left a comment about Mr. Hill's article on the DisMarks site.

• Member of Baxter's Army

The Hatbox Ghost as he was originally positioned
    in the Attic sequence of Disneyland’s The Haunted Mansion.

Copyright Disney. All Rights Reserved

I was not aware that HBG2 worked for Disney. LOL!

That image was created by Flickr member Nekeesorf.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Wait a sec' If the HM book still has the movie part how do they reconcile it with the Connie Attic?

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Aka... Hbg2...