Page 48 of 139 FirstFirst ... 233845464748495051587398 ... LastLast

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Better late than less than great.
    Yeah, but if you're hinting at what we're all hoping for, it's 40 years late already — and both lesser and greater things have already come and gone.

I just hope that, when they finally do restore the HBG, Disney's resident "eeeeevil genius" doesn't devise a way to charge an additonal fee to see it.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Yeah, but if you're hinting at what we're all hoping for, it's 40 years late already — and both lesser and greater things have already come and gone.

I just hope that, when they finally do restore the HBG, Disney's resident "eeeeevil genius" doesn't devise a way to charge an additonal fee to see it.
    Never forget that until the Internet came along, there was no such thing as a Haunted Mansion fanbase. There were only individuals who really liked the Haunted Mansion. There was no club, no networking, no awareness of each other. And if some of them knew about the Hatbox Ghost, they did not know that there were others who did. And if they thought it would be way cool if he were brought back, they did not if there was another soul in the entire universe who thought the same thing.

I know this. I've had a tiny, unlit corner of my brain quietly hoping he might show up again someday for 40 years, people, and I didn't know there was anyone else afflicted with the same irrational quirk until about 2002.

Public pressure on Disney from loyal fans to bring 'im back is only about a decade old, and even among Imagineers (who are, I keep tellin' ya, geeks), it takes awhile for a crazy idea to percolate to the surface and become a serious proposition, go through channels, get approved, get funded, get built, get tested, get delayed, get canceled, get resurrected, get rescheduled, etc. It's amazing anything ever happens, really. But...they're geeks, and good things come to those who wait.

I should be in bed — or writing. But I'm wide awake, easily distracted and found these shirts that are really cool:

They're available at The Ghastly Ones.

Forgive me for being off-topic and non-Disney. There's a definite HBG vibe in the design and I think that some of you may like these also.

Wink Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Never forget that until the Internet came along, there was no such thing as a Haunted Mansion fanbase. There were only individuals who really liked the Haunted Mansion. There was no club, no networking, no awareness of each other. And if some of them knew about the Hatbox Ghost, they did not know that there were others who did. And if they thought it would be way cool if he were brought back, they did not if there was another soul in the entire universe who thought the same thing.

I know this. I've had a tiny, unlit corner of my brain quietly hoping he might show up again someday for 40 years, people, and I didn't know there was anyone else afflicted with the same irrational quirk until about 2002.

Public pressure on Disney from loyal fans to bring 'im back is only about a decade old, and even among Imagineers (who are, I keep tellin' ya, geeks), it takes awhile for a crazy idea to percolate to the surface and become a serious proposition, go through channels, get approved, get funded, get built, get tested, get delayed, get canceled, get resurrected, get rescheduled, etc. It's amazing anything ever happens, really. But...they're geeks, and good things come to those who wait.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah....

Are we there yet?

Oops! I just read the last entry in the thread above and realized that I posted prematurely. Still, it's nice to know that others elsewhere are searching as well.

I wish they'd sign my petition.

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

That got me thinking, isn't it interesting how Hatters has risen in popularity so
    quickly? It's like one moment he's a legend of Yesterland, and the next he's a
    total celeb! Zero to hero, and all of that. But with Hatters getting all the spotlight
    nowadays, I'd like to derail for just a moment to talk about one of my favorite
    Mansion haunts.

In my opinion, it's the single most frightening entity in the entire
    ride, and yet there seem to be very few people who even know it's there. I've only
    been reading since Thread 4, so it's possible you all have already discussed this
    guy at length. But he just seems so darn under appreciated, I think he deserves
    to be mentioned again.

Have you guessed who it is? Yup, it's the spook in the crypt. During the graveyard
    scene, if you look to your right after the singing busts (I think?), you'll see a dark
    crypt with a lone figure staring back at you. It's not out and about like all the other
    ghosts. It isn't celebrating or having a good time. It just looks at you from the
    darkness as you go on your way. If I could describe one ghost in the entire Haunted
    Mansion using the word "evil," it'd be this guy.

I started thinking about Ol' Crypty tonight when I saw this:

No, it's not concept art for the Mansion. It's two stills from the Night on Bald Mountain scene from Fantasia.

So, maybe I just sensed an aura of evil from the guy since I had seen him in this terrifying scene
    when I was a kid. Still though, doesn't he give you creeps? I mean, he's just a close relative of those
    B-movie bed sheet ghosts, but there's something distinctly powerful in that gaze of his.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Garfieldo; 08-15-2009 at 08:06 AM.

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Oops! I just read the last entry in the thread above and realized that I posted prematurely. Still, it's nice to know that others elsewhere are searching as well.

I wish they'd sign my petition.
    Hmm... this looks like the person may have actually seen something. I'm deeply hoping this isn't another one of those "Visions Fantastic" threads... need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Hmm... this looks like the person may have actually seen something. I'm deeply hoping this isn't another one of those "Visions Fantastic" threads... need I say more?
    Although I wasnt paying attention to the immediate right as soon as you go into the attic scene. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the area to the right just before you exit the attic scene looked rather the same to me as it has since July 4th when I took my first pic.

The image below was taken on Sunday Aug. 9th (HM's 40th), This was around the time right after the second (last) Fantasmic showing. The line was small for HM and oddly enough we waited in the foyer just before the elevators for what seemed like ten minutes until finally the elevator on the left finally openned. I didnt realize it until the next day that appaerently that was the night that the family was having the sleep over so thats my guess as to why the right elevator wasnt being used. But I was under the assumption that they were going to spend the night from the 8-9th; but oh well minor details.

The image was taken after asking a CM to have a buffer of Omni's. Again I dont see any difference or really any clearance of room if WDI was actually tinkering with the HBG after park hours. I'm heading back on the 19th and 27th. Maybe I'll see something different; but I'll still keep an eye on that corner to see if anything is moved.

Here's somthing interesting to ponder, at Master Gracey's Haunted Mansion blog he suggests that the Phantom Pianist may in fact be Reginald himself! It makes sense because Reginald is wearing a short top hat (hmm, there must be a name for it) and so is the shadow. And as Master Gracey so cleverly points out, there are musical instruments at Reginalds tableau in both Mansions . Mabey the ghosts of her husbands are still in the Mansion mabey even her "long-lost" Hattie is hiding....

• Inhospitable about happy

Thanks for the update, Open, and I'm not surprised. Hint:

Spoiler
    ...descent to graveyard...right side at raven...worth keeping eye out for signs of activity...very small chance...no promises...but...

Garfieldo, that crypt ghost is indeed an underappreciated treasure. An island of Claude Coats dread in a sea of Marc Davis knee-slappers.

What's weird is that there are practically no photographs of it around, at least not that I've found. The WDW counterpart, on the other hand, is photographed all the time, thanks to the stupid hidden Mickey:

(pic by ExpressMonorail)

Ol' crypty is very similar to another personal favorite, Ol' purply shroud, denizen of the Séance circle from 1969 until Jack Skellington and crew ousted him (he never came back from the first HMH in 2001).

At least Tokyo still has their purply shroud, although he has a face, which is just wrong:

The shrouded wraith ghost type never gets old.

• =)

Yeah, the shrouded ghost in the crypt is one of the most genuinely eerie sights in the attraction. I really didn't notice him until pretty recently. I'd seen the concept art, but my eyes always tended to drift past that particular crypt.

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

Interesting post, HBG. I vaguely remember the shrouded ghost but I miss seeing him in the seance. It sort of connected with the idea that the spirits are now materializing.

Anyway, I was flipping through one of my volumes of Walt's People today and came across an interesting nugget. Somebody recently a while back asked about the idea of the Haunted Mansion being flooded and having boats sail through and any concepts or mention of it. After reading an interview with Fred Joerger today in the book, we can now pinpoint that the idea was entirely his. For those not familiar, Fred was a concept model maker for the Haunted Mansion with Harriet, Wathel Rogers, and Jack Ferges, along with working on conceptual models and ideas for Pirates Of The Caribbean, Small World, and Sleeping Beauty Castle and its walk-thru. He's also famous for his faux rockwork designs around the park, including Jungle Cruise and Big Thunder, and as a set designer on other attractions.

Anyway, here's the excerpt about the boats in his interview about the Haunted Mansion.

"And then there was another long period. We were over at the old building on Sonora. They decided they were going to try to walk people through in groups of seven. So they did some mock-ups of rooms. The rooms were about 50 x 80 feet each to get a mob in the middle and then if you were short and in the center of the group you wouldn't see anything anyway. So that was out. Then nothing happened for a while but then the Omnimover was perfected.

It was funny; before we built it, Claude Coats and I were working on some kind of model, I don't know what it was, but anyway we got the model all done and I came in one morning and I said to Claude, "Claude, I've got a good idea for the Haunted Mansion." He said "What's that?" I said, "Why don't we just put in an old Bayou in about three feet of water and we could take them through in boats." We would have complete crowd control. We'd have keen illusions; we could have stuff coming out of the water and reflecting. We'd have the wallpaper peeling off the wall. He said, "Yes, that sounds keen. Why don't you suggest that to Walt?" Just a little later Walt came in. Claude says, "Hey Walt, Fred has a keen idea for the Haunted House." Claude tells him and he says, "We've got too many boat rides already." After that we built the Pirates ride and Small World. [Laughs] So that idea went down the tube."

So apparently it was just a very brief idea by Fred that Walt shot down before even any conception of it was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Open_at_the_close View Post
    The image was taken after asking a CM to have a buffer of Omni's.
    If you don't mind my asking, what does this mean?

Thank you.

Thank you for posting this. Believe it or not, when I ride The Haunted Mansion, I am so busy looking at the obvious figures that I never noticed this character before — not in all of my years of attending the attraction. And though WDW's version, this is a very eerie specter indeed! I wish the designers had left out the hidden Mickey which is rather apparent, as it seems to detract from the effect — unless it was their intention to soften its impact.

BTW, the figure's posture is one that's often repeated in archetypal symbolism, religion and mythology. It's the "on Earth as it is in Heaven" pose and can best be seen in the Rider-Waite Tarot version of The Magician card:

Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-15-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo