Page 50 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2540474849505152536075100 ... LastLast

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

I don't buy the Petecleaver thing. The basis for the Constance character has been there since Day 1.
    True, but even if you don't buy the Patecleaver thing, she was still a different character from Connie now for over 37 years. It's like if they were to change the GH narration now to reveal himself as an anarchist just so they can tie it into the dynamite man changing portrait. The portrait's always been the basis for a character. I don't care for the idea of Constance being the Widow myself for own reasons, but if that's the Imagineer's canon then I won't debate it. I'm just stating that she was a completely different character long before the Imagineers now came in and said "Let's make up an original character, only we'll connect it to/ change her into a prexisting one."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    Hmm... Well I guess it's time for another trip back to 2003, when I first started reading up on the history and effects of the mansion. If I remember it right, I believe I read it on "Haunted Mansion FAQ" where the "scream" in the stretch room was credited to a "Billie Burke" who was also credited as the Soprano opera singer in the Graveyard Jamboree. I might have to look it up again.
    I had no idea that Glinda the Good Witch was a voice in the Haunted Mansion.

Actually, the soprano opera singer is voiced by Loulie Jean Norman, a well sought-after soprano studio singer from the 30s to the 90s. I did a whole post on the graveyard singers and their vocal talent in a post a while ago here.

Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope
    Last edited by TightropeGirlLover; 08-15-2009 at 05:11 PM.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

I think of the attic pianist as The Hatbox Ghost, even if only a shadow of his former self.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Another thing is, why would the groom be playing the bridal march? Isn't that someone else's role?

Oh...I didn't think about that one.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    I think of the attic pianist as The Hatbox Ghost, even if only a shadow of his former self.
    Actually, I think there's something to that. At the time (1995), there was no thought of actually bringing back HBG, but as long as they were introducing a new character, why not style him as the long-gone HBG as a sort of inside joke or tribute? It's exactly the sort of thing a lot of Imagineers are prone to do. The hat and collar do match fairly well.

And HMF, I'm having a hard time following the logic of your recent posts. Perhaps I'm just not understanding. Anyway, there's nothing to prevent Reginald being retrofitted to the existing piano player just as Constance was retrofitted to the existing stretchroom widow.

• Mr. Ghost

While searching through my index of AOL favorites I happened upon something interesting. Mariners Page The second painting down looks familiar... It seems that Marc Davis may have used this painting as a base for the "Flying Dutchman" changing portrait.
    And as for the opera singer, On the FAQ site, I think Billie Burke was erroneously credited. I don't think that site has been updated in years. (Update) here's one faq site http://www.faqs.org/faqs/disney-faq/haunted-mansion/
    This guy said the HBG was a pepper's ghost O_O
    My memory seems to fail me at times, It may have been a "Billie Nobel" instead of "Billie Burke"
    Last edited by Mr.Fenwright; 08-15-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: update

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    And HMF, I'm having a hard time following the logic of your recent posts. Perhaps I'm just not understanding. .
    What do you mean?

• Larger Than (After)Life

Here's something else for you to ponder:

How many of you think that this handsome devil...

...bears more than a strong and not so coincidental resemblance to this handsome devil?

I, for one, do.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

I wonder if the copies of the film still existed somewhere when they designed him....

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Another good point, HBG....Mr. Chaney could have been an influence, if much was known of London After Midnight back then....

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    What do you mean?
    I mean that (1) the Patecleaver identity of the widow portrait and (2) the 11 year gap between phantom pianist's debut and Reginald's, two points you raised as if they contradicted Tightrope's observation, don't have any relevance at all to his observation that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Here's something else for you to ponder:

How many of you think that this handsome devil...

...bears more than a strong and not so coincidental resemblance to this handsome devil?

I, for one, do.
    The resemblance is striking, but it's hard to know where to go to find the answer. Marc Davis's HBG sketches bear little resemblance to Chaney, so it isn't Marc, at least at the initial design stage. Blaine Gibson designed the head, but it appears to be a multi-purpose head, used for Ezra as well as HBG, so if he didn't design that head with the HBG costume specifically in mind, it isn't Blaine. If London After Midnight was an influence, it would have to be an influence on whomever decided to use that head with that cloaked figure, a decision that could have occurred fairly early or fairly late and could have been made by quite a few different guys (but probably Marc).

That rabbit is going to be hard to catch.

As for the film being lost, I believe stills have always been around, and that's all you would need, right?

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

I really don't know where to start. First off, i am happy to see that people actually read my blog! The internet continues to amaze me. Secondly, i didn't intend the last sentence of my post to be the main focus of that whole entry, I merely was pointing out that Reginald might have a love for the fine arts or that he is a multi-talented musician. Also, I don't remember who posted it but someone said that the instruments are like a placeholder for what is in the original mansion (the piano). Thats more of what i was hinting towards with the last sentence.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    I don't remember who posted it but someone said that the instruments are like a placeholder for what is in the original mansion (the piano). Thats more of what i was hinting towards with the last sentence.
    That was me. My thinking is maybe the instruments represent hired musicians that played at one of Connies Weddings' similar to the pianist playing the bridal march at Disneyland.

• Yoiks!

Wow! You've all be busy beavers this weekend!

I love reading about all the minute details of the HM, Unfortunately, my mind is a sieve, so I usually forget it a day later or where I read it from. WDW, DL ? What's the difference? So I wish I could tell you or direct you to a rumor I read. One of the daughters (?) if the imagineer that made the ghostly piano player stated that he WAS the HBG. It was a deliberate nod to him (Hat, cloak, wild hair).

I believe there is a framed play/movie poster somewhere in the attic. It's for The Phantom of the Opera, or Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde or something like that. Either characters dress similar to the HBG. That style of dress is quite common in a lot of the classic horror movies. What was once a popular fashion has become the stereotype for "Creepy man". I wore a bowler and a top hat in my university days.
    Darn JFK for killing the fashion of wearing hats!!! (or so the rumor goes).

RE: Reggie = piano player. It would be really eerie if Reggie was playing for the NEXT victim and not for himself.

I enjoy reading your blog MG13.

RE: Attic scream. As a child, it really scarred me. As an adult it didn't really make any sense to me. The scream sound like a living person, the bones sound like a skeleton. Why would a skeleton scream? Also, it sounds like wooden blocks, not bones. And doesn't he get tired climbing back to the top and hanging himself for the next group 100 times a day?

HBG2 I've noticed recently, some of your pictures are impossible to save. Even clicking into Properties doesn't work. I hope you weren't "warned" by lawyers for copyright infringement.

The shroud ghost was one of my favorite ghosts. The fan making it shimmer was really effective. I started my Crypt model mostly because I wanted a picture of him.

The MG correction in Surrell's book is interesting, but I wonder why he didn't come right out and say that the Hatchet man portrait WAS the GH. That woulve cleared up a lot of confusion.

How many versions of the blueprints are circulating around? I know they have different functions.
    That being said, I enjoy the effect, even it is only there for shock value.

Well, Lonesome Ghost has been unusually chatty lately, and what I've got is a totally random collection of unrelated but interesting goodies to hold the hungry dogs at bay for another night. Arf arf. Here ya go, boy. Good boy.

First of all, when schoolpsyk speculated above (post #693) that the Kidney-Daily HBG replica could be used in the actual attic, he struck unusually close to the truth. Since the deal's off, there's no need to keep it a secret. They were indeed going to put the replica in the DL attic for the 9-9-09 extravaganza, but...it ain't gonna happen. It's an auction item, and union rules require that all auction items must be at the convention center by the 7th. (Don't ask me what the rule is about.) So there goes one of the big fun surprises for the event. However, if you think that's all that has ever been in the works, well...hold your opinions lightly, very lightly.

Second, the mini-discussions earlier today about the graveyard crypt shrouded ghoul and the Sťance room shrouded ghoul provide a good excuse to pull up some interesting photos you've probably never seen:

This is an actual photo of the WDW crypt shroud from the time when the HM first opened:

Compare what's there now:

Yeah, they added the hidden Mickey later. Also the eyes.

Here's the photo of the Sťance room purply shroud (my name for him) that I showed before, but with more context:

And here's an actual photo of the figure up close. Again, this is the original figure from 1971 (but probably done in 1969: remember, they built everything in twos because they knew WDW was coming):

The white glows purple under black light, of course. It's obvious that Crypt Shroud Ghoul and Sťance Shroud Ghoul are exactly the same type of figure.

And....finally, with regard to the stretchroom scream, here's a DID YOU KNOW you can use to impress your friends. This comes from someone involved in the design of the overhauled WDW stretchrooms in 2007.

(pic by K447)

They didn't do everything they planned to do. That pinpoint audio system really inspired them to do some creative thinking. They were planning to replace the old scream with a Paul Frees laugh, the most maniacal laugh from the audio outtakes. (If you've got those, you know which one I mean.) They were going to have the hanging corpse actually drop about two feet before the lights went out. They were going to use the sound system to pan that Frees laugh down to the floor level. After the crash, there was going to be the sound of footsteps headed to the door, again, just using that pinpoint sound system. They were going to put some fiber optics in the door, providing a weird bluish glow, suggesting that the GH was passing through the wall. When it opened, the usual "Oh, I didn't mean to frighten you prematurely..." would come from out in the hall, completing the animation sequence (so to speak) that you had just participated in.

One reason (among others) none of this happened? Just too damn scary for kids. Lonesome Ghost regrets very much that they didn't do any of this.

Oh, and Karl. The idea that the piano player is the HBG comes from a report by Michelle Hill, but she never quite says that she was told as much by Bob Baranick (the guy who did the piano addition). It sounds like it's just her opinion, but it could be something she was told. Bottom line: we don't know.

I'm not doing anything new with my pix, so that's a head-scratcher.