Page 51 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2641484950515253546176101 ... LastLast

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post
    I believe there is a framed play/movie poster somewhere in the attic. It's for The Phantom of the Opera, or Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde or something like that..
    Indeed' there was a movie poster in the WDW Attic of Lon Chaney in Phantom of the Opera. whether it is still there after the Re-Haunting' I don't know. Does anyone else?

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

I haven't seen it in there anytime lately. So, unless its laying down flat on the floor, I say no.

I found out though that it was a hand painted flat for a Midnight Movie showing of Phantom of the Opera in about the 60's or so. And the word at the bottom that Haunted Mansion Interior Photos ever figured out... was EXCITEMENT!

• Banned User

Hello, ALL! I am new here, as of today, at the personal invite of HBG2, which I take to mean "Hatbox Ghost"! My name is Greg Stone, and as you can see, I was the "First Resident" of the Haunted Mansion. As to that, on August 9, 1969, when Disneyland opened, my girlfriend and I ran like crazy to be the first people to walk into the Haunted Mansion. Little did we know that there had been many VIPS and employees on the day before, and the day before that! However, I now maintain that her and I were the first normal paying visitors to the park to walk over the threshold on that faithfull day! I have gotten into huge debates with other HM fans over this, and have even gotten kicked off of that "other" forum, by a person who claimed that there was no way that I could PROVE this claim. But since I was there at 8:00AM on that day, and since nobody else has stepped forward with any evidence that they were even THERE on that day (I have many photos that I took on THAT day!) so I want to take this stand, and make that claim.
    I realise that it's very much like the kid in New York who was the FIRST person to walk into the moviehouse in 1977 to see "Star Wars", just lucky to be in the right place at the right time, but since this is my only small claim to fame, I might as well go for it!
    I also hope to be, upon my death, the first REAL Ghost in the Disneyland Haunted Mansion. I plan to lipsync the ghosthost narration, and walk thru walls, and lead people down the hallway to the doombuggies, and scare the hell out of all the CMs that work there! hehehehehe (seriously) That has been my fondest wish for about 40 years now!
    I wonder, is there anyone else who would like to be a real resident of the mansion?
    Anyway, I am the first resident, and I am now here, and I hope to be a long time visitor to this forum!
    Thanks, Firstresident

• Inhospitable about happy

Welcome Greg! We'll be looking forward to seeing some of those pictures.

Just to be clear, Thread-heads, my invitation does not imply that I'm in a position to confirm or deny Greg's claim. I am not. I can well understand how Greg's claim could lead into an argument about what is provable and what is not. The general rule, as a historian, is that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Someone had to be the first person from the general public to ride the HM, and there is no reason a priori why that person could not be Greg, but it would be extremely difficult for that lucky first person to prove it beyond all doubt, and the difficulty would only increase as time goes on. Alas, that's the nature of the beast.

• sleepy lagoon

Bring on the pictures, firstresident Greg!! I LOVE perusing old photos, especially ones of Disneyland!! Looking forward to seeing the pics you took back in the day... & welcome to MiceChat!!

• Death Certificate on hand

Quote Originally Posted by my7dwarves View Post
    Bring on the pictures, firstresident Greg!! I LOVE perusing old photos, especially ones of Disneyland!! Looking forward to seeing the pics you took back in the day... & welcome to MiceChat!!
    Ditto!!!! And welcome again. I hope we don't drive you away from us.
    Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

Welcome to MiceChat, Greg! I can't wait to see your pictures!
    You are going to post them, right?

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    What's weird is that there are practically no photographs of it around, at least not that I've found. The WDW counterpart, on the other hand, is photographed all the time, thanks to the stupid hidden Mickey:

What?! How could they change him to something like that? That
    poser's got nothin' on the guy at DL! Normally I love hidden Mickeys, but
    this one I could live without (and it encourages flash pictures, too). Sigh.
    Well, since there aren't any known pics of Ol' Crypty, I went and made
    one myself!

I tried to get it as close as possible to how I remember it, but keep in
    mind that my memory isn't always reliable.
    Last edited by Garfieldo; 08-15-2009 at 10:17 PM.

• Banned User

RE: Attic scream. As a child, it really scarred me. As an adult it didn't really make any sense to me. The scream sound like a living person, the bones sound like a skeleton. Why would a skeleton scream?
    Karl, the Ghost Host is reliving the moment of his death. There is a great deal of precedence for this in horror literature; many ghosts are portrayed as being fixated on the moment of their death, coming back to it and reliving it in the presense of mortals. The scream is either his scream before he death, or the scream of someone who witnessed it.

And doesn't he get tired climbing back to the top and hanging himself for the next group 100 times a day?
    I don't know if this statement is meant as a joke. Just in case it isn't: the idea of any ride is that the guests in the ride are living through a one-time experience. Obviously, that's not the reality of a ride, but it is the idea. Is the boulder in Indy supposed to be moving itself back into position for the next jeep? No, the guests are experiencing a one-time adventure along with Indy.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    First of all, when schoolpsyk speculated above (post #693) that the Kidney-Daily HBG replica could be used in the actual attic, he struck unusually close to the truth. Since the deal's off, there's no need to keep it a secret. They were indeed going to put the replica in the DL attic for the 9-9-09 extravaganza, but...it ain't gonna happen. It's an auction item, and union rules require that all auction items must be at the convention center by the 7th. (Don't ask me what the rule is about.) So there goes one of the big fun surprises for the event. However, if you think that's all that has ever been in the works, well...hold your opinions lightly, very lightly.
    HUH!? Am I reading this right???? They were going to put Hattie back and then decided to SELL him??????? Or, was the K&D replica made specifically to be an auction item only?????

In either case, with so many people clamoring for Hatbox's return, WHY would Disney dangle a life-size figure (the K&D replica) in the faces of fans for them to drool over BEFORE installing a permanent figure back in the mansion??? WHO is their PR person??? If what I'm concluding is correct, they're not geeks, they're IDIOTS!!!

You put the permanent figure back, create a bunch of hoopla and THEN sell the replica, not the other way around. Instead, with no HBG figure in the mansion, they're auctioning The Holy Grail and looking like bigger money grubbers than they already are!

DUMB!

Was that light enough for you?

Trust me, I'm holding back.

• Yoiks!

Welcome Greg! We're really looking forward to seeing your photos and hearing your stories!
    (And if you really want back into the other forum, you can always use a different name.) I'd also ask again if you can come back if you haven't done so recently.

Dan, I can save the images, but they show up as a tiny black dot (like the hated "spaceball gif"). It doesn't happen to all your photos, just, it seems, the really cool ones (Blaine's frog on head and Man in Web).
    I'll see if I have the same problem on a different computer.
    Can any of you computer Wizzes help me? And is there a spellcheck key in micechat? I can't find it anywhere?

Edit: DF121, That's a really long scream for a short fall, and wouldn't it be cut short when the rope went taunt? And yes, my second comment was a joke.

HGB: I think the intention was to showcase him (you) in the mansion first and then auction him off later. And yeah, that was a really mild response. I can imagine what you were really thinking.
    Last edited by Kreepy Karl; 08-15-2009 at 10:26 PM.

The auction is scheduled for September 12. If Disney sells the replica on that day and doesn't have a permanent HBG figure back in the mansion before then, The Mouse is going to look like a colossal louse.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    The auction is scheduled for September 12. If Disney sells the replica on that day and doesn't have a permanent HBG figure back in the mansion before then, The Mouse is going to look like a colossal louse.
    I don't agree with this. They are selling a load of collectibles for the 40th anniversary, many of them exclusive or limited edition items, so why not a HBG replica, too? If we NEVER get the HBG back in the Mansion, I would agree they let us down. But as HBG2 points out, better that they take the time to do it right, rather than rushing Hattie's return to coincide with the anniversary. If they rush it, we might get a sub-standard Ghost.

Edit: DF121, That's a really long scream for a short fall, and wouldn't it be cut short when the rope went taunt?
    I think the imagineers took a little bit of artistic license here. The long scream is for effect. As has been argued before on these boards, ride experience trumps ride logic every time.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    If they rush it, we might get a sub-standard Ghost.
    You mean like the out-of-sync and grounded Leota? And the pop-up ghoul that would stick all the time?

• Dapper Dan-nabe

I have nothing to base this on, but it sounds to me like they planned to put the replica in for the special event as a one-time bit and then auction it off. Hints started to leak out and excitement started to build, and the folks in Glendale realized that people were going to expect more. As a result, the "one night only" concept was scrapped (just as well, as it probably would have just angered people, anyway), and the Imagineers decided to investigate the possibility of putting something more permanent in place. Again, this is pure speculation on my part, it just seems to make sense to me.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com