Page 1 of 139 1234112651101 ... LastLast

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

Last I saw, we were talking about the Shamwow! and how Vince and the HBG were separated at birth.
    Linky linky linky, especially for you newcomers:
    Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?
    Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2
    Revenge of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 3
    Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Episode 4 A New Hope

And as an added bonus, The "Long-Forgotten" Index for the original thread.

Serious question: How will you be celebrating the 40th anniversary? Special trip, your own celebration, etc?
    Last edited by CaitlinMcFly; 07-15-2009 at 08:00 PM.
    dreams. come. true.

• is too darn hot.

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

I will be going on the day of the anniversary if possible.

Also, gotta love that new thread smell!
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

New thread!!

As for me, I will be angry at not being at the HM for the fortieth, as school will be just starting up...so private celebration here in the Thread likely, once I get done with cooking and classes for the day...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

At the outset of a new thread, there is one man who cast a long creative shadow, in spirit, if you will, over the Haunted Mansion who has been mentioned scarcely at all.....

Walt Disney may not have been "hands-on" in as many of the Mansion's gags and final appearance as many other classic attractions, but he always dreamed of having a old, dark, haunted house in his park, and without Disneyland and his spurring the Imagineers and creative team forward, there would be no Haunted Mansion to be discussing. He truly brought together the divergent personalities, from Marvin Davis, Claude Coats, Rolly Crump, Marc Davis, Yale Gracey, X. Atencio, and many more, who would bring the attraction to life...er.....death. I propose a toast to Walt, the true father of the Mansion, if not it's eventual overseer or the man who realized what is perhaps the ultimate dark ride. Cheers, Walt, and may you be well in whatever the regions beyond may hold.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Yay! My first new thread!

As for me,I celebrated it by riding the WDW Haunted Mansion 40 times in 5 days. Really, it is harder than it sounds.

• Death Certificate on hand

I'm planning to get there with the family. Any thoughts of having a meet?
    Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

Just a random observation, but that first picture of Walt always made me giggle. It looks like a Wile E. Coyote cartoon where he's about to be crushed by that leaning boudler over top of him, completely oblivious to it.

But I agree with you about giving Walt great credit. Even though he passed away three years before the ride opened, he still saw many of Marc's ideas and gags for the Manison, and the idea of the stretching room, its portraits, and the changing portraits.

And you also brought up a great man who I think hardly gets any recognition - Marvin Davis. Without Marvin, we wouldn't have the beautifully designed mansion at DL with the way it is now and his refining and detailing of Ken's concept. Marvin was also the main master planner for the entire layout of Disneyland and Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, the designs for EPCOT when it was supposed to still be Walt's future city, and an art director for many of the live action films from the 60s.

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5

I posted this earlier, in the "Dead" thread:

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    [I]

I still think the doombuggies are the equivalent of the puppeteers in traditional Japanese puppet theater (Bunraku).

You can see them and they move things around (you, in this case), but you're supposed to pretend they aren't there. Featureless blobs painted flat black. Maybe there's a sense that you're being compelled by unseen forces, but...darkf is right; don't think about them.

Much like the brilliant video director, Nagi Noda, who did (amongst others) the fabulous Scissor Sisters music video for "She's My Man":

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1DpkgrxGc4]YouTube - Scissor Sisters - She's My Man: Video[/ame]

and the fantastic live performance of "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" at the BRITS a few years back:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdpFgmmtZPk]YouTube - [Live] Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancing[/ame]
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• Grim Grinning Ghost

Wow, thread 5!!! I've been following these threads since the very beginning and never thought my unholy obsession for all things Mansion could be so satisfied. Kudos to HBG2, GRD999, Datameister, and the countless others who share this sick fascination and have contributed so many great bits of information and little known facts-

PS - "Groovy" new title!

"I Want That Simple Life"

B.F.F.=Brian Fyfe Forever
    4-8-1983 to 4-28-2010

• Inhospitable about happy

It's a point well taken that Walt is ultimately the Father of the Haunted Mansion. He wanted a haunted house in the park from the earliest conceptions of the park, and worked very closely with Ken Anderson on the earliest concrete plans. There were even plans to have Walt do the narration for one of Ken's concepts, you will recall.

---------------------------

On a sombre note, it is with regret that we announce the passing of voice actor Dallas McKennon, who has died at the age of 89. It's ironic that darkf should post that first photo of Walt above, since Dal is most famous among Disney fans for doing the narration for the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland, and later, the brief introductory narration for the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride that replaced the Mine Train.

Mansion fans remember Dal as the voice of the deaf old man in the graveyard ("Wh-what's that? Eh? Louder!"). Dal also claimed to be the whimpering pooch next to the caretaker and the scream in the stretching room, but there are competing claims for those two (Thurl for the dog; Jimmy Macdonald for the scream), so it's uncertain.

You can read Jeff Baham's article on Dal here: Disney voice actor Dallas McKennon dies at 89

RIP Dal McKennon

(Jeff-SCL photography)

(Jeff-SCL photography)

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I was sad to hear of Dal's passing yesterday, and thank you for the tribute here HBG2. He is one of the Extinct Attractions dvd's and was very high-energy and "wacky", a real character, especially getting worked up talking about the Big Thunder safety spiel and recalling having to say "Stay inside the vehicle or your arms and legs will get ripped off!!!". Very enthusiastic and slightly kooky old man, for sure. I am just glad he gets some small slice of "immortality" in his performances at Big Thunder and HM will be heard every day by hundreds if not thousands of people. Cheers, Dal, and rest in peace.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    At the outset of a new thread, there is one man who cast a long creative shadow, in spirit, if you will, over the Haunted Mansion who has been mentioned scarcely at all.....

Walt Disney may not have been "hands-on" in as many of the Mansion's gags and final appearance as many other classic attractions, but he always dreamed of having a old, dark, haunted house in his park, and without Disneyland and his spurring the Imagineers and creative team forward, there would be no Haunted Mansion to be discussing. He truly brought together the divergent personalities, from Marvin Davis, Claude Coats, Rolly Crump, Marc Davis, Yale Gracey, X. Atencio, and many more, who would bring the attraction to life...er.....death. I propose a toast to Walt, the true father of the Mansion, if not it's eventual overseer or the man who realized what is perhaps the ultimate dark ride. Cheers, Walt, and may you be well in whatever the regions beyond may hold.

I second the motion! In the interests of symbolism, I actually took a drink of chivas and tonic before writing this, in honor of a great dreamer, visionary, and innovator. A toast to greatness, to fearless trailblazing, to the power of bringing together creative minds for a common purpose: creating art and entertainment that would last far beyond their lifetimes. To Walt, the true father of the Mansion...

WE. ARE. NOT. WORTHY.

(but we are grateful!)
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 07-15-2009 at 08:53 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

If you haven't seen it, I recommend all thread-heads troop on over to PhotoMatt's Disney World trip report for some awesome WDW Mansion shots, including far and away the creepiest photo of Constance I have seen yet....definitely good stuff.

• Inhospitable about happy

Those ARE nice. (No surprise, though: PhotoMatt is good).

How about a fat, lazy post on the Hong Kong HM, "Mystic Manor"? The concept art for the exterior that's been floating around is a little small to look at:

But an anonymous source has slipped me a nice, high rez image of the English-language poster:

A little blowing up, a little photoshop, and...that's more like it:

People are already debating the influences on the architecture. Some focus on the onion dome. "Haunted Hearse" at DB.com suggests the Morey Mansion in Redlands, CA:

But to my eye the most obvious influence is the Carson Mansion in Eureka, CA. No onion dome, but it's got a round turret toward the back:

The Carson house just seems to scream "Boo!" to a lot of folks. It serves as the starting point for more than one haunted house photoshop:

As for the ride itself, I am of two minds. The trackless ride system (a la Winnie the Pooh at Tokyo) sounds good. The utilization of a lot of unused concepts from Rolly Crump's "Museum of the Weird" sounds very good. I'm sure the execution will be good.

BUT

"Funny" monkeys I can live without.

Page 1 of 139 1234112651101 ... LastLast