• DLR Cast Member

Are the DL Monorails running on hot days?

There hasn't been much discussion about the Mark VII monorails lately. Seeing as how SoCal is in the midst of its normal 85+ degree days of summer, can anyone tell me if the monorails are running? The last mention of them was that they have now been fitted with permanent slide-down windows.

Re: Are the DL Monorails running on hot days?

My info may be dated, but I've never seen the monorails not run due to temp. However, the nose cone may be unavailable to guests. No AC there if they lose power. Fry the CM no problem.

• Disney is home

It looks like they have been running regularly this week, even with the temps we have been getting.

Quote Originally Posted by llump41 View Post
    My info may be dated, but I've never seen the monorails not run due to temp. However, the nose cone may be unavailable to guests. No AC there if they lose power. Fry the CM no problem.
    One thing to consider is that, at WDW, the entire train has AC with no open windows (except for the tiny window vents at the end of each car)... and the weather is hotter in Florida. With that in mind, I don't understand why DL has to close off the front cab when the AC effectively cools the entire cab.

The ironic thing is they're not allowed to load the front and rear cabs on hot days, but they will load it at night with the AC still going full blast. On an 80 degree night, it gets so cold in there that you need a jacket... All while AC frost on the windshield gives the pilot zero visibility. If safety and comfort are an issue, it seems like both are still compromised at night.

The current procedures don't make sense. Either allow guests to ride in the front all the time or close it off completely. Of course, I'd prefer they would just keep it open to guests all the time.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Code90 View Post
    One thing to consider is that, at WDW, the entire train has AC with no open windows (except for the tiny window vents at the end of each car)... and the weather is hotter in Florida. With that in mind, I don't understand why DL has to close off the front cab when the AC effectively cools the entire cab.

The ironic thing is they're not allowed to load the front and rear cabs on hot days, but they will load it at night with the AC still going full blast. On an 80 degree night, it gets so cold in there that you need a jacket... All while AC frost on the windshield gives the pilot zero visibility. If safety and comfort are an issue, it seems like both are still compromised at night.

The current procedures don't make sense. Either allow guests to ride in the front all the time or close it off completely. Of course, I'd prefer they would just keep it open to guests all the time.
    Yeah. I rode the front cone of RED last summer and we got into the front cone and me and my party's first reaction was "wow, it's cold in here."

The CM that came in to pilot the thing also said "wow, it's cold in here."

Makes me wonder, do the pilots have control of the AC system or is automated or even set up prior to leaving the station...

Right now, I think the fact that they are not putting people in the nose has more to do with the accident at WDW, not AC issues.
    "Once upon a time there was a Magic Kingdom
    made of hopes and childhood fantasies
    A timeless place where every land was filled with wonder
    A place where everyone who enters its gates will be given the gift of the
    Young at Heart"

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I have mentioned the NEW windows twice, once here at MiceChat....

Mark VII Monorail Blue's new windows, now the CM's can close them if it rains

And then in last Friday's In the Parks article.

(Both have photos)

Both Trains can run on most days, but there are some worries about this weekend, as they are not sure about 100+ temperatures (which it might get too). I would expect to see some Senior Staff out with temperature gauges if they do get the very hot temperature predicted, to see how the new design is working out.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Young at Heart View Post
    Right now, I think the fact that they are not putting people in the nose has more to do with the accident at WDW, not AC issues.
    While WDW is temporarily not loading their monorail front cabs due to the incident, DL's front cab loading procedures remain the same, which is AC related.

• Queen Elsa

I know Darkbeer just said they are running in hot temp. but I was there last Sunday and it was about 93* there and I did see Blue out most of the time I was there and Organe ones that was around 4pm when I saw Organe. So yeah they have been running at less blue in the very hot temp.

• Yo!

I was there on Monday and it was 92ish (and really humid as well) and they were still running both Blue and Orange.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    I have mentioned the NEW windows twice, once here at MiceChat....

Mark VII Monorail Blue's new windows, now the CM's can close them if it rains

And then in last Friday's In the Parks article.

(Both have photos)

Both Trains can run on most days, but there are some worries about this weekend, as they are not sure about 100+ temperatures (which it might get too). I would expect to see some Senior Staff out with temperature gauges if they do get the very hot temperature predicted, to see how the new design is working out.
    I heope this means they have found the window solution they were looking for, and will retrofit the monorails soon!