Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do DLR planners care more about APs or travelers?

Do you think that those who do future planning for DLR care more about annual passholders and what they want at DLR, or do they care more about travelers and enticing more travelers to come to DLR?

I ask this because of some of the threads on this board. For instance....Some APs are tired of Honey I Shrunk I Shrunk the Audience because that's not something they enjoy time and time again when they frequently visit DLR. Yet, "first-timers" and those who only occasionally go to DLR, really like that attraction (it is popular at DLR and at WDW). This is true of other attractions as well. They aren't ones that APs like to keep going to, but others enjoy when they are there.

One could argue that having such things (attractions that really only interest casual DLR visitors) helps keep the lines shorter at those attractions that the APs visit all the time.

Also, one could argue that the casual DLR visitors are the ones who stay in the hotels, buy the souvenirs, etc....which helps keep the place running.

Obviously, DLR cares about both to some extent for various reasons....but, who do the planners care more about, the APs or the occasional (or one time) traveler to DLR?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Do DLR planners care more about APs or travelers?

Most of Disneyland's business is based on locals & AP holders.

But... who knows? Maybe? Maybe not?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Hopefully they cater to both. I am sure that it must be quite difficult to keep both distinct groups happy. I personally am lucky if I make it to Disneyland for one week out of each year. Sometimes it's only about a 5 day trip. There are many attractions that have been there from day one that I really enjoy, and then there's always something new that wasn't there the last time.

I guess it's pure speculation, but I hope they cater to both.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Banned User

They've become way too lazily dependent on just selling lots of APs. They even underprice them, and advertise the fact that you're better off getting an AP if you're going to visit more than twice in a year. Then you get insane crowds of locals at DLR, flooding the park for pennies on the dollar, and scaring away tourists.

Speaking of tourists, anyone not on the west coast seems to be an afterthought. I know I've never seen an ad for Disneyland or the DLR in a local paper or local T.V. broadcast. However, I've seen tons of ads for WDW. You would swear that they're only interested in luring us to Orlando, and would rather we stay away from Anaheim. Is it because they don't want too many tourists there, since the park is already full of locals? Again, wouldn't the solution be to jack up the price of APs and encourage more tourism to DLR? Isn't that why they are turning DL into a resort?

Let's not forget that a lot of east coast people visit California, but some of them are barely aware that Disney has a resort in Cali. Advertise over here, and more of them will make DLR a "must see" part of their California vacation. They could also emphasize the rides and attractions that are not available at WDW, so that frequent visitors to Orlando won't think that DLR is just a smaller carbon copy of WDW.

But (sarcasm alert!) don't listen to me, what do I know, I guess you have to have a marketing degree to state the obvious...

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Do DLR planners care more about APs or travelers?

Quote Originally Posted by jlauer95 View Post
    Do you think that those who do future planning for DLR care more about annual passholders or do they care more about travelers and enticing more travelers to come to DLR?

I ask this because of some of the threads on this board. For instance....Some APs are tired of Honey I Shrunk I Shrunk the Audience because that's not something they enjoy time and time again when they frequently visit DLR. One could argue that having such things (attractions that really only interest casual DLR visitors) helps keep the lines shorter at those attractions that the APs visit all the time.

Also, one could argue that the casual DLR visitors are the ones who stay in the hotels, buy the souvenirs, etc....which helps keep the place running
    Yeah, I guess you could say that those "Casual DLR Visitors" are the ones who stay in the hotels, buy the souvenirs, and "keep the place running...", but why state the obvious?

Income from APs is mostly derived from food sales. They will not close "Honey - I Shrunk The Audience" because the APers are bored after their 479th viewing of it; they will re-imagine and re-purpose the space when those pesky Casual Resort Visitors are disinterested in it. Annual Passports are going to be gobbled up by the local locusts whether the Disneyland Resort builds new attractions or not.

So, who do the "Planners" take into consideration? Well, if they are going to get families to load up the station wagon and travel in from out-of-State, they are counting on enticements such as new attractions, or new "Resort experiences" (shows, parades, and promotions - or new offerings at the Resort hotels).

Whenever they roll out more outdoor food carts, they do have the APer in mind...

Care for a turkey leg?

What makes us West Coasters travel to Disney World? Would it be to experience something 'unique' to the Florida Parks such as Expedition Everest? or would it be to sample the new fare at Flame Tree Barbecue?
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

• A Weather Eye Open

i really agree that they cater to both too. i actually think that the AP crowd has a lot more variety in itself than much of the tourist crowd; I think Disneyland's changes and planning actually is doing a great job of staying in the middle, and giving every group something they want.

I think it's also important to remember that "local" and "APer" are NOT synonyms. Many, MANY, locals in the park (as in local enough to get "so cal" deals, or maybe just past that) are not AP holders. True, they visit DL probably more than the average east coast visitor, but they are not the same category as APers. And there are many AP holders that are NOT local, and that travel a great deal to come to the DLR, and that consider it a very rare, special treat even though they have an AP! So it doesn't really boil down to "AP" vs "tourist", because those categories are not the perfect opposites of each other.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

It's a balance, I think.

I am an annual passholder, but I do not live in Southern California (NorCal here). I would also add that a great deal of the people who stay "on property" at Disneyland are non-local (Anaheim) passholders. They give us great discounts that sell out most of the time.

Disneyland is definitely a different animal than WDW and caters more to a local market. Having said that, they are growing and trying to increase their capacity and become a "resort destination."

Once the DCA expansion opens and they announce the third gate...then you'll see adverts in the hinterlands for Disneyland.

My fiance (who will be my wife in 9 days!) just bought Premium APs, and we do not live in California. We are in Gilbert, AZ (far east side of Phoenix), and it's a good 6-hour drive for us to get to DL. However, it is a very special place for us and our getaway, and now that we don't have to pay $70/day just to get in, we are planning on going every 2-3 months. So, we aren't there ALL the time, but definitely enough that new little changes with each visit are welcome.

For instance, I'm not the biggest fan of the holiday overlay for HM, even though I LOVE the NBC movie, but I will enjoy having a change of pace for a few trips. And I prefer the Christmas version of IASW to the original, personally.

As for promoting Disneyland, I agree - I never saw a commercial for the park until I moved to Arizona, but they are fairly prevalent here, even though it's a good drive away.

I am personally thrilled about the changes coming in the next three years. I just rode the Orange Stinger last weekend (first time, and to say goodbye), and I'm super excited for one over the water that has a great view AND is Disney themed. WOC will be fabulous, I'm sure, and I'm sure there will be a few surprise upgrades next year, much like with the great new paint job on Astro Orbitor and the cleaning up of Peter Pan. 2011 brings a new Star Tours and The Little Mermaid, and a whole new land in 2012! I think the frequency of these additions is geared toward drawing back repeat visitors (and getting us to purchase APs), but if the APs are not discounted, why buy them? And yes, they still make a small fortune on us for food. On our 1.5-day trip last weekend (four people), they made nearly $50 on churros alone, and probably another $75 on bottled water.

I am glad that Disneyland Resort has a more intimate feel than WDW, and I'm fine with it being a local hangout until it expands with a third gate.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Every guest is important....each in their own way. Attractions/Food/Stores go by total counts (or dollars), not how the guest gained entrance to the Park. AP holders spend their money in the Parks over the course of time, while Tourists spend in a more concentrated way.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Speaking of tourists, anyone not on the west coast seems to be an afterthought. I know I've never seen an ad for Disneyland or the DLR in a local paper or local T.V. broadcast. However, I've seen tons of ads for WDW. You would swear that they're only interested in luring us to Orlando, and would rather we stay away from Anaheim. Is it because they don't want too many tourists there, since the park is already full of locals? Again, wouldn't the solution be to jack up the price of APs and encourage more tourism to DLR? Isn't that why they are turning DL into a resort?
    You are more likely to spend seven days on Orlando property spending everything on Disney, than you would do the same in Anaheim. More people come to SoCal for everything in SoCal than just for DL. It's a long way for someone like you to go for three days of DL and you've seen it all. And that you'd spend the rest of the time enjoying other places and spending your money at other places. So, look into my eyes....you....want...to...go...to...DisneyWorld.. ...
    Turning it into a resort was Eisner's idea, and no one was alive at the time who would say no to him. That person (Wells) died in 2004.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

There is only one solution to the problem of catering to AP'ers....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post

I think it's also important to remember that "local" and "APer" are NOT synonyms.

Thank you for recognizing that. We're on our second year of APs, and we live in Washington state.

Meanwhile, my brother is in so cal and just buys a one day ticket (so far he hasn't bought a hopper) when we visit. Finally got him to DCA last month...he'd been to DL once in '05 and once in '06 and not in between.

So just b/c you're a local doesn't mean you have an AP, and just b/c you have an AP doesn't mean you're local!

And I think that people who are tired of things should just stop going to them. This whole new Star Tours thing is really bugging me...my son is 5 and he's enjoyed it for 2 years now, even though it's the exact same thing. In fact, sometimes he wont' go on it b/c the thought scares him, even though it's his fave ride in DL. There are always new people coming in, and as long as it's still a GOOD ride, I wish they wouldn't change stuff like that. Oh well, he'll probably like ST2. Unless it's 3D...oh crud, waittaminnit.....

They have to find a balance because each group brings a different dynamic and because some guests do fit both groups. Some AP holders live far enough away that they don't just hop in for a few hours, so it's more like a vacation for them.

If they catered more to APs than they may not run certain entertainment and shows daily because "the APs were here last week and saw it already." If they catered more to the traditional tourists, then they may not change things up (HMH or IASW Holiday for instance) because they're not here frequently.

I'm not saying the balance is perfect, but I think they do a pretty job at maintaining one.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I consider myself BOTH a traveler and a Annual Passholder.

Sometimes they don't cater to me at all!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

( oops, sorry. duplicate post. )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast