Question Disneyland September - Halloween or not?

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about visiting Disneyland this September. The question is to Halloween or not?

First off some background. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids ages 7 (DS) and 5 (DD). We live in Australia but our trip to Disneyland is not "once in a lifetime" as we did go 5 years ago (DD was a baby) and myself and hubby have been a few times before that. (we love it!)

I have booked flights already (the prices are too hard to resist) and the dates correspond to our school holidays.

Option 1: Disneyland from Sept 17th to 21st - 5 day park hoppers, 5 nights at the Grand Californian (with the 3 for 5 deals). We fly in on the 17th, early morning and hope to do a short day in the sunshine and then early bed to cope with jet-lag. We then have a week in San Francisco to catch up with friends and come back on the last day to do Legoland before we fly out that night.

Option 2: San Francisco first then Disneyland from Sept 24th - 1st Oct with 5 park days (Fri, Sat, Sun, Tue, Thu), Monday at Legoland (not open Tue or Wed) and a day where we don't go into the parks. We fly out on Thursday the 1st, at night.

Option 1 we had planned and booked the Grand Californian but then when we saw that Halloween at the park started on 25th September then we thought Option 2 might be better way to go.

So do you think it would be better to see Disneyland plain (with a few rides closed) or all decked out for Halloween?

Any comments / ideas appreciated!

aegpeg

PS: Halloween is not big in Australia and our kids have never done "trick or treat" but they have seen A Nightmare before Christmas...

• Go DCA, Go! :D

Re: Disneyland September - Halloween or not?

If it were me, I would go to DL second so I can see: HMH, the new Ghost Galaxy, and the new Halloween fireworks. Most likely, HM and SM will be closed before Halloweentime starts, soooooo I pick Option 2.
    "Miley Cyrus is an abomination to the Walt Disney Company and a talentless little brat."
    -jfsebastian

• I read the news today...

Yeah, I'd go with option 2 because all the rides will be open, especially Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain. Plus you'll be over the jet lag before you get to Disneyland. Also, I don't think they put the Halloween decorations up overnight, so it's likely you'll see them no matter which days you visit.
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by aegpeg View Post

Option 1: Disneyland from Sept 17th to 21st - 5 day park hoppers, 5 nights at the Grand Californian (with the 3 for 5 deals). We fly in on the 17th, early morning and hope to do a short day in the sunshine and then early bed to cope with jet-lag. We then have a week in San Francisco to catch up with friends and come back on the last day to do Legoland before we fly out that night.

PS: Halloween is not big in Australia and our kids have never done "trick or treat" but they have seen A Nightmare before Christmas...
    I love the park dressed up during the holiday. Christmas is my favorite time.
    The Haunted Mansion will be closed for the overlay (Nightmare before Christmas) when you go*. I think it opens back up on the 25th (party is on the 9th, so guessing it goes down on the 10th since it's already a short schedule to transform it).

I think you'll enjoy the park during Halloween. Don't forget.
    This is the first year there will be a Halloween Firework show.

*if you pick option 1
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Thanks guys - looks like all votes are for option 2!

Does the park look different all decorated for Halloween? Is everyone decked out or will Toontown for example still be normal?