Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

official birthday

In your minds, when is disneylands official birthday? For me it's always been July 17th. Mainly because it's the first time Walt opened it's gates and let people in to experience it. Even thought it was only supposed to be press and media. Also another key factor is that he gave all the dedication speeches for the lands, and the Disneyland speech was also given on that day. I labeled this thread "fun" cause I want you guys to have fun with it and throw some ideas/facts around. I know that sometimes the debate about this can get pretty serious, so lets try to keep it as friendly as possible.lol.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Re: official birthday

I'd say July 17th because that's when people were allowed in
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Future Imagineer! =D

Yeah, I would say the 17th because as you stated it was the day of all the dedication speeches, it was the real first look in the park, people came from all around the world, press and others overwhelmed the park, and many people tried getting in somehow! It was a truely amazing day, one that will remain very important in history forever. Disneyland changed the world, Walt Disney changed the world
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Sock Puppet

Yes, despite the feeble attempt of a few folks to indicate otherwise, the 17th is the celebrated Birthday date.

But hey, whatever floats their boat!

We'll be at the Club on the 17th and will toast a cold one to Walt and Disneyland for a wonderful 54 years.

• Mickey's pal

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post

We'll be at the Club on the 17th and will toast a cold one to Walt and Disneyland for a wonderful 54 years.

Awesome!

I also consider it the 17th.
    "It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was kid."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

• Still lost in Neverland

The 17th was a preview or press day or Invited Guests only day. Regular folks were not in the Park that day and the only way to see it if you were not invited was on TV. Yes the company considers it the "Official" Birthday of the Park because Walt read the dedication and everything was introduced for the first time, but only on TV. The next day, Monday July 18th was the first time the gates were open to the common people. So the 18th is the day for us commoners. The Invited Elite got to see it one day earlier. I was there on the 18th and it was hot, and crowded but it sure was fun. I will remember that day for the rest of my life.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Embrace the kitsch!

I used to subscribe to the 17th until I found out the company itself used the 18th for several years. A while back, there was a thread like this where someone posted a scan of an old company document mentioning the 18th as the anniversary. Later, I think at the Tencennial, it was apparently changed to the 17th. Can't remember why.

Anyway, as a history lover, I can't argue w/ documentation from a primary source. Call me a convert to the 18th!
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Well, I'll choose to go with the traditional July 17th... so Happy 54th Birthday Disneyland! You have brought and continue to bring much joy to the child in all of us!
    Always remember the Disney Magic!

•   
    • Shenanigans.

I'd like Darkbeers take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• Zephyr Pilot

Costumed Cast Members will be wearing the 54th button on the 17th... so... yeah. 17th.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    The 17th was a preview or press day or Invited Guests only day. Regular folks were not in the Park that day and the only way to see it if you were not invited was on TV. Yes the company considers it the "Official" Birthday of the Park because Walt read the dedication and everything was introduced for the first time, but only on TV. The next day, Monday July 18th was the first time the gates were open to the common people. So the 18th is the day for us commoners. The Invited Elite got to see it one day earlier. I was there on the 18th and it was hot, and crowded but it sure was fun. I will remember that day for the rest of my life.
    What my big brother says. For us it will be the 18th and yes even Disney Press referred to the 17th as Dedication day and the 18th as Opening Day. See scan of document in Darkbeers column today. And hey, that means we can celebrate for two days, not just one - that works for me

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I take the standard that Walt Disney had while he was alive. Opening Day was the day that the ticket booths were open and selling tickets to the public that day. This is also the standard that EVERY other Disney park uses, even though many of them had special Media events prior to opening the gates to the public.

All the official documents from Disneyland called July 18th Opening Day in 1955, and that latest document I could find, still called it Opening Day in 1967.

It wasn't until 1970 that somehow the company decided to "switch" the date to the 17th.

But heck, as part of the 50th anniversary events, Disney sold this pin

So celebrate the 17th and it's specialness, but don't forget that "Opening Day" was July 18th, and at least to me, will always be "Opening Day", no matter what Disney Marketing wants to do....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

It isn't really for us to decide. The company celebrates it as the 17th, so the 17th IS the "Official" date.

It is nice that for historical purposes we know that the 18th was the first day that regular guests could buy tickets, but for many Americans who watched the events live on TV on the 17th, that will always be the Opening Day and is also the day that Disney celebrates.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    Yes, despite the [pitifully] feeble attempt of a few [sadly misinformed and tragically misguided] folks to indicate otherwise, the 17th [that's the 17th -- read my lips, the 17th, NOT the 18th!] is the celebrated Birthday date.

But hey, whatever floats their [rusty, leaky, desperately-in-need of maintenance] boat!
    Fixed.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    I
    So celebrate the 17th and it's specialness, but don't forget that "Opening Day" was July 18th, and at least to me, will always be "Opening Day", no matter what Disney Marketing wants to do....

I can put this behind me now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast