Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• sleepy lagoon

Re: Indiana Jones closed Wed July 15th

We were there on the 15th, and there was a huge line with a stand by wait time of 75 min... this was sometime after 6pm. Needless to say, we didn't wait for Indy but got ourselves some bacon wrapped asparagus at the Bengal BBQ. Yum!!

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by my7dwarves View Post
    We were there on the 15th, and there was a huge line with a stand by wait time of 75 min... this was sometime after 6pm. Needless to say, we didn't wait for Indy but got ourselves some bacon wrapped asparagus at the Bengal BBQ. Yum!!
    Bengal BBQ: Where the line is only 60 minutes, haha!

Just kidding. I love Bengal, but everytime I decide to go there, it's moving so slow that what appears to be a short (say, 8 person) line takes at LEAST 25 minutes. AAAAGH!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Not my brothers keeper...

I was there on the 15th with a friend and we were able to ride several time during the day

bacon wrapped asparagus from Bengal is second only to Dole Whips. Ahhh, soo good.

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    I swear this ride needs to get a complete overhaul. It seems to break down more and more. (Although, I really wish I could be on the ride during an evac. Especially near the snake or the rolling boulder!)

<Joe>
    It has broken down consistently since it first opened! Its madness! But you really dont want to be on it when it breaks down, TRUST ME. It takes FOREVER to get out of there. They go row by row in the cars starting with the people closest to the exits. When we were on it when it broke down, it took a good hour and a half to just get everyone out. A long time when you're just sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe Lounge View Post
    Along with Pirates and Space Mountain? I think there'd be massive capacity problems.
    Whats wrong with Pirates? It has a little backup at the very end, but I dont see anything else.
    I have spent 80 days of my life at Disneyland.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Poor thing's been clearly overdue for a full refurb for years. They don't need to even change a thing, just take it all apart, give it a good scrubbing, replace lots of parts, and get all that's broken fixed again. And replace those dang lights that are always burning out with some new LED bulbs. I'd be happy to see it down even for a month, if not several. It's been operating nearly non-stop since it opened, yes?

We've been told on this board by several CMs, etc, that it's quite usual for it to break down shortly 3 or even 4 times a day. It's possible that it was operating throughout the day, but every time you checked, it had broken down again! That's happened to me a few times.

Poor Indy just needs a little love, and it seems like TDA just doesn't want to give it to him! I know it's one of the most popular rides in the whole resort, and loads of people will get boiling mad if it goes down for so long during their vacation, but they really will get over it! There's no time like the present, and the ride probably can probably afford only so much more wear and tear on it before things get more serious.
    Actually there was a refurb that occured back in 2004 to install the gates in the loading area. And also to put in the new snake. I'm sure some touch-ups also happens. And a brief one happened 2 years ago, I think to replace the audio system.

Major E-ticket rides have a certain period in which they can operate until a another refurb is needed. Indy was designed so it doesn't need periodic refurbs and the show scenes can be fixed overnight after the park closes each night.

What really needs a refurb are the jeeps themselves. There are 17 jeeps in total with 15 that can be used in the ride. Two are in backstage. One is usually getting a refurb while the other one is usually a spare in the event a jeep in the ride breaks down. With the summer and weekend hours it's basically a short timeframe until the next day. They would have more time to work on fixing the effects during the off season weekdays as the park closes early. On days when the park closes at 12 midnight, they only got until 7:30 AM to do what they need to do and they start around 1:00 AM. If the park opens later (10AM for example) and closes early (8PM) then obviously they have more time.

Disneylands usual busy months are the summer months (June-Aug), September (mostly weekends), Holiday months (Late Nov- Early Jan) and the spring break months (March and April). Anywhere from mid Jan to late Febuary is the best time to do a long refurb. A 3+ month long refurb isn't required as long as 95% of the ride is working and that any issues that happen each day is addressed in the after-hours.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by HeyThere View Post
    It has broken down consistently since it first opened! Its madness! But you really dont want to be on it when it breaks down, TRUST ME. It takes FOREVER to get out of there. They go row by row in the cars starting with the people closest to the exits. When we were on it when it broke down, it took a good hour and a half to just get everyone out. A long time when you're just sitting there.
    I actually quite enjoyed my evac on Indy... very cool to see it with the lights on! I took tons of pictures. Lots of people hope to be stopped and evac'd especially on Indy. Sure, the ride is ruined just then, but it's a mini behind-the-scenes type treat for those of us that have never been on teh tours or been attractions CMs.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyThere View Post
    Whats wrong with Pirates? It has a little backup at the very end, but I dont see anything else.
    That poster was referring to the idea of refurbishing Indy this September, when both Pirates and Space Mountain (and don't forget HM) will also be down for refurbs and Halloweentime. This would take a big bite out of the amount of people on rides for the month.

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    Actually there was a refurb that occured back in 2004 to install the gates in the loading area. And also to put in the new snake. I'm sure some touch-ups also happens. And a brief one happened 2 years ago, I think to replace the audio system.

Major E-ticket rides have a certain period in which they can operate until a another refurb is needed. Indy was designed so it doesn't need periodic refurbs and the show scenes can be fixed overnight after the park closes each night.

What really needs a refurb are the jeeps themselves. There are 17 jeeps in total with 15 that can be used in the ride. Two are in backstage. One is usually getting a refurb while the other one is usually a spare in the event a jeep in the ride breaks down. With the summer and weekend hours it's basically a short timeframe until the next day. They would have more time to work on fixing the effects during the off season weekdays as the park closes early. On days when the park closes at 12 midnight, they only got until 7:30 AM to do what they need to do and they start around 1:00 AM. If the park opens later (10AM for example) and closes early (8PM) then obviously they have more time.

Disneylands usual busy months are the summer months (June-Aug), September (mostly weekends), Holiday months (Late Nov- Early Jan) and the spring break months (March and April). Anywhere from mid Jan to late Febuary is the best time to do a long refurb. A 3+ month long refurb isn't required as long as 95% of the ride is working and that any issues that happen each day is addressed in the after-hours.
    Yes, I can imagine that the ride system itself (track plus vehicles) is what needs the most work, as that's what causes it to go down so much, not the show, right?

Only thing in the show that I don't think they could do a little bit at a time in overnight shifts are the AAs. The 3rd Indy AA is extremely poor, he's always got weird problems and jitters. I would think he needs quite a bit of time (judging by how long they kept POTC AAs out this past year), if not a whole new AA.

I also wonder about the sound sometimes. Usually I have music and it sounds good on all the jeeps I've been in, but I wonder about the programming. I know Sala (sp?) is supposed to say something different at the end of the ride according to which door you went through, but he always says the Fountain of Youth one. It's just little things like that that make the whole ride seem so "buggy" in terms of show.

• soul reflector.

Well I'm gonna go back next week and hopefully things will be in better working order!

Thanks for all the info everyone.

• Nill

It's summer. It's going to break down more.

In the off season more EMVs can be worked on, and they are usually the source of 101s. Weekdays in the offseason will usually run North side only, which means a max of 9 EMVs on the track, so others could be worked on at that time.

However, there have already been many "fixes" in the past several weeks. The smoke/explosion effects have been fixed (two of them). One at the bottom of the Overlook, and one on the right side of the bridge. So things are getting fixed.

The only semi-major overhaul I could see for Indy is the animatronics, particularly Indy at the Gates.

TDS also has some extra effects in the rolling ball chamber that would be nice to see in Dlands version. Sounds of a booby trap triggering (snapping of a vine/rope), followed by a much more realistic sound of the boulder rolling at you, with much more fog and vines. I saw it somewhere on a youtube video, and it looked amazing.

In the end, Indy will always break down more than other rides. It is still the most complex ride in Disneyland (and DCA imo, ToT doesn't cut it). Think about it this way. Do you ever have problems with your computer? Does it freeze, lockup, act slowly at times, programs crash, and more? So do the 17 ride control computers on Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    I actually quite enjoyed my evac on Indy... very cool to see it with the lights on! I took tons of pictures. Lots of people hope to be stopped and evac'd especially on Indy. Sure, the ride is ruined just then, but it's a mini behind-the-scenes type treat for those of us that have never been on teh tours or been attractions CMs.
    Thats true.

That poster was referring to the idea of refurbishing Indy this September, when both Pirates and Space Mountain (and don't forget HM) will also be down for refurbs and Halloweentime. This would take a big bite out of the amount of people on rides for the month.
    Oh, got it. I was lost about that.
    I have spent 80 days of my life at Disneyland.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12