Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    87

    Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    Is there some technical or legal reason why there hasn't been a new stop added to the DL monorail since 1961?

    It seems like a no-brainer that Disney would have added a stop at either the GCH or DCA when they were built, since the monorail passes right through them?

    I know things are located pretty close and it wasn't technically needed, but it sure would be a nice touch if they had. And it seems like something Disney would have done if there wasn't some overriding reason that prevented it.

    Edit: If the orange grove is ever turned into a 3rd gate, I wonder if the monorail will extend there?

  2. #2

    • I'm not really here
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Too Far From Disneyland
    Posts
    11,243

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    Well, for 1, the GCH is already incredibly close to the DTD station. Having two stations so close together would be really annoying to people on the monorail as well as involving some safety issues as far as zones go I'm sure.

    Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

  3. #3

    • MC, this is LD
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    3348'35.38"N, 11755'8.28"W
    Posts
    1,200

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    I'm pretty sure the answer lies in three characters:






    $$$






    --KAN


  4. #4

    • A Weather Eye Open
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,547

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    heck, i'd be down for the monorail extending way outside the disney property, maybe to certain hotels, to Gardenwalk, to somewhere INSIDE DCA... Weren't there ever plans or even just chat with the city of Anaheim about it going to MORE places in the resort area... having more lines, more trains, etc? It's clearly not going to happen in the even remotely-near future, but it's a fun dream.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)



  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    87

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    Quote Originally Posted by kan View Post
    $$$
    lol!

  6. #6

    • ...my first visit to DL
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Posts
    388

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    Quote Originally Posted by KAN View Post
    $$$
    Probably more true than not...DCA was built on the cheap - hence the need to rebuild it now - another whole monorail station and/or addtional beam would have added to the bottom line...

  7. #7

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    15,153

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    Remember who was in charge back then?

    They were closing peoplemovers, skyways, submarines, etc.......I bet many believed that there wasn't even going to be a Monorail after a few years and building another station for one would have been a complete waste of $$$.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

  8. #8

    • Future Imagineer! =D
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,817

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    I remember when it use to stop at the hotel! I think I was 4 when it stopped going to the hotel! But everytime I ride the monorail my parents always mention how we use to ride it to the hotel and I was little. Haha
    The monorail probably only has two stops because of money or they don't think a third one is necassary, idk. I really wish they would make one in DCA. That would be pretty cool. I suppose it could be possible if nothing like laws and stuff got in the way. You know where the golden gate bridge is? Well, they could make that a stop with a little bit of work I think...
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!


  9. #9

    • Disneymom
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    870

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    i think a stop would great in DCA but would it cause ticket problem for the people who may only hold a one park ticket,not a hopper or ap. There would have to be a turnstile like in DTD stop.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    103

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    IMHO I believe that the Monorail doesn't have several stops because it's not like the three ring circus system at WDW (Thank God).

    As MyCroft noted- there is a stop right by the GCH, and the Monorail never stopped AT the DLH only on DLH property and it was still a short walk to get to the station.

    Too many people would try to park hop when they don't have the appropriate ticket. DLR being the tourist attraction that it is this may be confusing to some international guests. Not to mention punks and degenerates who just try to scam their way through loopholes and get something for nothing.

    The thought of the Monorail reaching the outskirts of the property to service the good neighbor hotels- frankly makes me laugh. If you're not going to stay on Disney property then you don't get the conveniences, it's an incentive and it makes sense.

    The value of the Monorail transportation system is the conveniece of it, now if we had 3 (or more) stops it would take half an hour just to get your destination! Also with a heavier flow of passengers servicing three stations, lines will be longer and the cars will be more croweded causing further delays.

  11. #11

    • Haunted Mansion Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stockton, CA; AKA too far from Disneyland (5 hrs, 48 mins/375.1 mi)
    Posts
    162

    Smile Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    Quote Originally Posted by WendyBird View Post
    IMHO I believe that the Monorail doesn't have several stops because it's not like the three ring circus system at WDW (Thank God).

    As MyCroft noted- there is a stop right by the GCH, and the Monorail never stopped AT the DLH only on DLH property and it was still a short walk to get to the station.

    Too many people would try to park hop when they don't have the appropriate ticket. DLR being the tourist attraction that it is this may be confusing to some international guests. Not to mention punks and degenerates who just try to scam their way through loopholes and get something for nothing.

    The thought of the Monorail reaching the outskirts of the property to service the good neighbor hotels- frankly makes me laugh. If you're not going to stay on Disney property then you don't get the conveniences, it's an incentive and it makes sense.

    The value of the Monorail transportation system is the conveniece of it, now if we had 3 (or more) stops it would take half an hour just to get your destination! Also with a heavier flow of passengers servicing three stations, lines will be longer and the cars will be more croweded causing further delays.
    Well said.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    247

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    I remember when it use to stop at the hotel! I think I was 4 when it stopped going to the hotel! But everytime I ride the monorail my parents always mention how we use to ride it to the hotel and I was little. Haha
    The Downtown Disney stop is in the same location as the old Disneyland Hotel stop.

  13. #13

    • Haunted Mansion Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stockton, CA; AKA too far from Disneyland (5 hrs, 48 mins/375.1 mi)
    Posts
    162

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    The Downtown Disney stop is in the same location as the old Disneyland Hotel stop.
    The only thing that's really different is that they re-did the station to match the area.

  14. #14

    • A Weather Eye Open
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,547

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    Quote Originally Posted by WendyBird View Post
    The thought of the Monorail reaching the outskirts of the property to service the good neighbor hotels- frankly makes me laugh. If you're not going to stay on Disney property then you don't get the conveniences, it's an incentive and it makes sense.

    The value of the Monorail transportation system is the conveniece of it, now if we had 3 (or more) stops it would take half an hour just to get your destination! Also with a heavier flow of passengers servicing three stations, lines will be longer and the cars will be more croweded causing further delays.
    Well, I wasn't meaning Disney just building it's own monorail outside the park for the convenience of everyone else. I had read a few years back rumors that the city once had plans to build their own monorail, and to collaborate with the DLR to link the systems. This would clearly involve multiple lines and more trains, and charging for train use for non-Disneyland guests. It wouldn't take away from the convenience afforded DLR hotel guests. It's clearly not even going to be mentioned again because of the recession, but it was a cool idea.

    If just a 3rd resort stop was added, more track would have to be added and possibly another train, because the amount of people riding would go up. The track heading around the back of DCA would be cool, with a stop by PP or Carsland; I'm sure they could figure out a solution to the Park Hopping issue it would present.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)



  15. #15

    • soul reflector.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    94

    Re: Why does the monorail only have the two stops?

    Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Well, I wasn't meaning Disney just building it's own monorail outside the park for the convenience of everyone else. I had read a few years back rumors that the city once had plans to build their own monorail, and to collaborate with the DLR to link the systems.
    One possible explanation is that when the monorail was first established in the early 60's, the automobile industry was really exploding, and I don't think the city or state really wanted to circumvent or hurt the expanding auto industry by providing alternate means of transporation.

    My grandfather actually assisted in the design of many of the southern California freeways.. and he used to tell me stories of collaborations between the state and car companies to make sure that roads and freeways were the main method of transporation to protect that industry.

    Walt's dream of better transportation was a good one, but unfortunately I think money and politics spoiled that dream. (As with many other dreams...)

    As for the city expanding it today, outside of Disneyland? I was kinda asking the same thing in the DCA thread.. but it's probably got a lot to do with the same reasons.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pluto stops for no one...
    By monotonehell in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 06:24 PM
  2. Favorite Roadside Stops?
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-30-2007, 01:42 AM
  3. Monorail Stops at DLH and GCH?????
    By VeganPrincess in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 08:11 PM
  4. Block Party Bash goes to only 2 stops, instead of three
    By Darkbeer in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 04:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •