Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Future Skipper

Re: What California Themes are Missing from DCA?

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Hollywoodland (please, why not just call it Hollywood?) seems to be headed in the right direction. Let's just hope they fix some of those facades on Sunset Blvd.
    I like the name Hollywoodland. It reminds me of Hollywood in the good old days

• Future Imagineer! =D

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    California themes missing at DCA:

The truth is, these themes are missing only in their lack of presence in being accurate to themes around the state. Not missing in the sense that we would want them to be part of the park…

- Bums (not the funny kind, the kind that steel your stuff)

- Clip-board clad individuals petitioning to legalize marijuana

- Graffiti (non artistic, no “pieces”, just tags)

- High car registration rates

- Food service sector employees with horrible attitudes

- Non-English speaking custodial staff

- Traffic

- Prius’s with Gore, Kerry, or Obama campaign stickers

- Bubble Tea

- Severely overpriced public transportation

- Budget cuts

- Poorly funded parks

Yeesh, I didn’t intend for them all to be bad, but…

it's true!!
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Future Imagineer! =D

Hmm...California has lots of oil fields...and agriculture, but agriculture is already there. Wait, do they have oil stuff in DCA? Idk, I never pay attention. California is famous for Disneyland...There's also a lot of old mines in California. California also has a lot of missions that were built long ago. I googled what California is famous for and here is some stuff I found- they are one of te highest cheese producing states, they have developed moving forward politics and social policies, Hollywood, desert areas, the fact that a large area of California has to pump water in from other states, and earthquakes. Interesting.....
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Senior Minion

^ Perfect! Cheese, oil and borax. Now, if that ain't enough for WDI to make a swell Disney theme park, they're slackin'.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Not to prove any points of anything, but WHAT THE HECK is borax?
    Borax

Not to be confused with Borat.

Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Tucson, Arizona, but I wish I was in Philly, PA

Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    Not to be prejudiced or anything, but I think they should expand San Francisco
    Also, I'd like to see a Lake Tahoe themed area, like a mountain ski resort.
    There's a San Francisco Area.

I will be at DisneyWorld on April 29, 2011-May 4, 2011. If You Are Going The Same Time Message Me

• Future Skipper

The key word was expand... at this point it's barely even an "area"... it's basically just a building.

• Banned User

BAsque should get their own street or area as they did a lot for california sheep ranching. I hear they have great food.

How about an area dedicated to the Azorean, Portuguese and Duitch dairymen who settled in Dairy Valley (Cerritos) and Norwalk.

Japanese truck farmers should be included and they could do a little tribute to the camps during WW II.

I do not see anything related to the missions or the Native Americans of California.

• Minion

- Something based on the myths and legends that surround California. The state was named after a Spanish novel that involved "amazon" women and their man-eating gryphons living in cities of gold. I once suggested an attraction that started off with a play on that, and went into the gold rush (with tons of gold coming out of the land everywhere) and then the dream of Hollywood, where anyone could go there and become a glamorous moviestar overnight.

- Like the last sentence of the above, but more specifically focused on the experience of being a Hollywood moviestar. What Superstar Limo should have been. And/or something to do with production at a movie studio, like the once-rumored ride about the Muppets making movies.

- A stand-up coaster themed to surfing and 1960's surf culture.

- As someone else mentioned, a ride with skiing in the mountains.

- a mention of Lompoc somewhere around the Bug's Life florals (Lompoc was once the flower seed capitol of the world, or so we were told in school).

- a jump over the border into Baja California (which is still named "California" after all ) for some sort of attraction with Mexican culture and folklore.

- Making the San Francisco section more like the NOS of DCA, with some sort of PotC level attraction to anchor it. Maybe something Discovery Bay-style. I like the oft-suggested idea of a trolley coaster, but I can never think of what the story should be - like, besides that you're on a trolley in San Francisco.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 07-18-2009 at 02:15 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• "I Break Things"

Honestly I think it is missing the details... I'll start with Paradise Pier

Paradise Pier was meant to celebrate the heyday of Beach Boardwalks. About the only "nod" to them is on King Triton's Carousel... where the various heralds display the names and dates of boardwalks past and present. Sadly Paradise Pier isn't a romanticized version of the classic Victorian Boardwalk. It was supposed to be, WDI is now saying it will be, but I honestly have my doubts after seeing Fun Wheel's lack of Victorian details. The key to Victorian is a combination of contrasting colors, and details... lots of details. It's what makes TSMM's building "shine" and everything around it look "cheap". Proper buildings and queues would go a long way towards turning this land into the "crown jewel" of DCA. There are concepts on here that go into more detail about Paradise Pier and it's respective attractions.

Someone mentioned San Francisco... there is a "street" that mimics that feel as you head to GRR. It's one of the few things WDI got right... sort of. I see it as a "pre-show" to a proper Paradise Pier. Because of it's unique position, it can also be a "pre-show" to the forrests of Grizzly Peak. I always imagined a "boom town" on GRR's side that became progressivly more "civilized" as you headed towards Paradise Pier.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Grizzly River Run really needs a rework into a Mining Theme. That is another part of our history that is barely touched upon in DCA. Imagine the excitement of the Gold Rush, brought to life on GRR. Ditching the modern references would be a start. Animal AA's and Miner AA's would complete the effect.

I also think there should be a mineral shop on San Francisco St... my immediate thought is a geode cutter similar to Knott's... allowing Guests to pick out their own geode and then have it cut open. There are newer machines that can supress the noise level, so as to minimize the impact on hotel guests. Likely the shop would also have reduced hours out of respect for those trying to sleep. Another addition to this shop would be "pan for gold"... allowing kids to be miners themselves.

Redwood Creek is a challenge. I feel it tried to demonstrate the beauty of the redwoods, but failed to capture the sheer size of them. Someone once made a home out of a fallen sequoia. I also have vivid memories of driving through one, the park made a tunnel through it because the fallen tree was too expensive to move! With a few changes and embelishments Redwood Creek would be an amazing place for young and old alike. There is a thread on here that goes into more detail.

CBJ... I've talked about it before. Honestly I think a small "cave theater" should be built where the current Brother Bear show is, along with some of the surrounding area. This would not be the full show from memory, only a large stage and two side stages. Allow for 3 characters each per side stage, obvious cast on the main stage. It would be a smaller version that is cheaper to operate so Disney would be more willing to keep it. It would also bring back unique characters and allow people to once again enjoy a beloved favorite.

Soarin should be torn out and Condor Flats moved to where Carsland will reside. In it's place I would recommend a downgraded version of Mine Train, complete with tunnels and as many natural animal AA's as possible. Allow trestles, so people can walk through the area enjoying the natural beauty... likewise Guests of the Grand Californian can look down and enjoy the aminals.

• "I Break Things"

A major part of California's history is it's love affair with flying, and it's passion for driving. Those two meet at a place called Condor Flats. This would be where Carsland is supposed to go. It would be the same desert environment but a more open theme allowing multiple attractions. Soarin would be moved here. "test track" would be renamed "Flat Springs Racers" in honor of the old Flat Lakes racers... Little kids and adults alike would also be able to enjoy a biplane attraction, similar to Knott's but more advanced. Adults be a kit again and pilot their own biplane. When they move the stick out, they roll out... move it in and they roll in... move up and it climbs, down and it dives. The arms would also move you out and in based on joystick movements... If ever there was a "sky skool" this would be it. The junkyard would also fit this theme. I've talked about it before.

It's surprising how easy it would be to fit elements of "Cars" into a desert themed land. From a creative standpoint there is lliterally no excuse for theming the entire land around the movie.

A lot of Hollywood Westerns were filmed in the desert. As you move closer to Hollywood Pictures Backlot you see less of avation and racing... and more of movie sets.

• Faerie Godmother

I think it's not so much that more themes are needed but that the ones they currently have need to be tied into their respective periods better. You mention that Paradise Pier is supposed to look Victorian and doesn't. Likewise, HPB would be 100% more effective if the whole area held to the Hollywood heyday, Art Deco style that the entry gate promises and that only the ToT really fulfills. Condor Flats should scream "post-war" at us. Redwood Creek and GRR should look more like a Gold Rush boomtown and less like a contemporary State Park (and for heaven's sake, where are the AA animals?). All this could be done with architectural details, Cast Member costumes, and area music in the respective locations.

The problem is that DCA was planned backwards. During the initial planning of Disneyland, Walt thought about a few specific attractions that he wanted, but mostly he thought in terms of whole-area theming--he wanted a Wild West area and a jungle and a fairytale kingdom and a world of the future--and he and his team then devised attractions to fit. DCA has too many areas that were planned around a single ride or attraction (or shop or restaurant) that Management assumed would be a draw, and then the rest of the area was designed almost as an afterthought. So instead of a Condor Flats that really celebrates the science and spectacle and fun of airplanes, we have "Soaring' Over California-land." Instead of a genuine wilderness that makes your jaw drop with the beauty of it all, we have "Grizzly River Rapids-land." Instead of the glamor and mystique of Hollywood, we have "SuperStar Limousine-land," and the SSL isn't even there anymore!

• "I Break Things"

Hollywood need help. It's a current mismatch of old and new. I realize they are bringing in the trolley and "Buena Vista Street" so hopefully this will firmly place it in the 20's. The problem is that things like Monsters and Muppets will be out of sync with this... This would be a chance at a "Steam Boat Willie" or other "rubber animation" attraction... possibly even a coaster (theme the track to movie reel etc)!

As to unique experiences, I think they should have a replica of the H from Hollywood. It is illegal to get that close to the real sign, but a 40ft H, would be quite a picture... they could have it near a store advertising the real estate of Hollywoodland. There is an old thread on here somewhere with more details about it.

• HauntedOne999

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Honestly I think it is missing the details... I'll start with Paradise Pier

Paradise Pier was meant to celebrate the heyday of Beach Boardwalks. About the only "nod" to them is on King Triton's Carousel... where the various heralds display the names and dates of boardwalks past and present. Sadly Paradise Pier isn't a romanticized version of the classic Victorian Boardwalk. It was supposed to be, WDI is now saying it will be, but I honestly have my doubts after seeing Fun Wheel's lack of Victorian details. The key to Victorian is a combination of contrasting colors, and details... lots of details. It's what makes TSMM's building "shine" and everything around it look "cheap". Proper buildings and queues would go a long way towards turning this land into the "crown jewel" of DCA. There are concepts on here that go into more detail about Paradise Pier and it's respective attractions.
    It is very true... PP is missing alot of Victorian woodcut decor details. But it would be sad if they took they put a roof structure on the Carousel - the details not only pay homage to all the pier parks but the details on the covering are very Pacific Ocean Park. Also the queue to Screamin' is way tooo modern and desperatly needs help.

Someone mentioned San Francisco... there is a "street" that mimics that feel as you head to GRR. It's one of the few things WDI got right... sort of. I see it as a "pre-show" to a proper Paradise Pier. Because of it's unique position, it can also be a "pre-show" to the forrests of Grizzly Peak. I always imagined a "boom town" on GRR's side that became progressivly more "civilized" as you headed towards Paradise Pier.
    I really would like to see the unused Wine tasting counters on the right side of Wine Country Trattoria turned into an extension of the San Fran Theme... this would blend in more with Pacific wharf and depending on the choice of architecture and colors would blend in well with the Napa theme of Wine Country - This extension would creat a good transition and open up space for specialty shops.

Grizzly River Run really needs a rework into a Mining Theme. That is another part of our history that is barely touched upon in DCA. Imagine the excitement of the Gold Rush, brought to life on GRR. Ditching the modern references would be a start. Animal AA's and Miner AA's would complete the effect.
    GRR very much needs to have AA animals in it. The extreme sports theme isnt that extreme.

I also think there should be a mineral shop on San Francisco St... my immediate thought is a geode cutter similar to Knott's... allowing Guests to pick out their own geode and then have it cut open. There are newer machines that can supress the noise level, so as to minimize the impact on hotel guests. Likely the shop would also have reduced hours out of respect for those trying to sleep. Another addition to this shop would be "pan for gold"... allowing kids to be miners themselves.
    interesting idea... but im "if"y on it - being Disney it would be expensive

Redwood Creek is a challenge. I feel it tried to demonstrate the beauty of the redwoods, but failed to capture the sheer size of them. Someone once made a home out of a fallen sequoia. I also have vivid memories of driving through one, the park made a tunnel through it because the fallen tree was too expensive to move! With a few changes and embelishments Redwood Creek would be an amazing place for young and old alike. There is a thread on here that goes into more detail.
    since TLM will be backed up to this area I think they need to redo the trees, make them bigger to block the TLM showbuilding.

CBJ... I've talked about it before. Honestly I think a small "cave theater" should be built where the current Brother Bear show is, along with some of the surrounding area. This would not be the full show from memory, only a large stage and two side stages. Allow for 3 characters each per side stage, obvious cast on the main stage. It would be a smaller version that is cheaper to operate so Disney would be more willing to keep it. It would also bring back unique characters and allow people to once again enjoy a beloved favorite.
    I agree! the figures are just sitting in storage(and a few at the archives), and a small show wouldnt be that expensive.

Soarin should be torn out and Condor Flats moved to where Carsland will reside. In it's place I would recommend a downgraded version of Mine Train, complete with tunnels and as many natural animal AA's as possible. Allow trestles, so people can walk through the area enjoying the natural beauty... likewise Guests of the Grand Californian can look down and enjoy the aminals.
    its very doubtful that Disney would ever do that unless there was no line at all...but it will come to a point when they wont need 2 theaters(there are 2 theaters right?!?!) But definatly think that some kind of Mine train should make its way into the park... unless Disney thinks that the Red cars are close enough?

A major part of California's history is it's love affair with flying, and it's passion for driving. Those two meet at a place called Condor Flats. This would be where Carsland is supposed to go. It would be the same desert environment but a more open theme allowing multiple attractions. Soarin would be moved here. "test track" would be renamed "Flat Springs Racers" in honor of the old Flat Lakes racers... Little kids and adults alike would also be able to enjoy a biplane attraction, similar to Knott's but more advanced. Adults be a kit again and pilot their own biplane. When they move the stick out, they roll out... move it in and they roll in... move up and it climbs, down and it dives. The arms would also move you out and in based on joystick movements... If ever there was a "sky skool" this would be it. The junkyard would also fit this theme. I've talked about it before.

It's surprising how easy it would be to fit elements of "Cars" into a desert themed land. From a creative standpoint there is lliterally no excuse for theming the entire land around the movie.

A lot of Hollywood Westerns were filmed in the desert. As you move closer to Hollywood Pictures Backlot you see less of avation and racing... and more of movie sets.
    Hollywood need help. It's a current mismatch of old and new. I realize they are bringing in the trolley and "Buena Vista Street" so hopefully this will firmly place it in the 20's. The problem is that things like Monsters and Muppets will be out of sync with this... This would be a chance at a "Steam Boat Willie" or other "rubber animation" attraction... possibly even a coaster (theme the track to movie reel etc)!
    Monsters is too new of an attraction to remover, but the facade definatly needs to be changed... since its a transportation center (for monstropolis) they should model the building to look like Union Station. As for Muppets it a fun show to see once in awhile, but the theater is never packed, also with them brining in the Whatnot Workshop it may get the needed boost...but once again the whole facade would need to be redone - even if it gets made into Philharmagic.

As for Millionaire and Hollywood & Dine... both are prime locations for new attractions. I personally would like to see a smaller version of the Great Movie Ride put in - maybe more of a dark ride omnimover type. But even a Darkride version of "Steamboat Willy" would be cute.

As to unique experiences, I think they should have a replica of the H from Hollywood. It is illegal to get that close to the real sign, but a 40ft H, would be quite a picture... they could have it near a store advertising the real estate of Hollywoodland. There is an old thread on here somewhere with more details about it.
    I like the idea and it would would really pay homage to the "C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A" letters.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast