Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• Stop That!

Re: Monorail Safety and WDI

Quote Originally Posted by Code90 View Post
    As bfdf55 stated, the crash at WDW was caused by a series of failures. Some who have been downplaying the role of pilots' side windows here would probably argue that each individual failure at WDW was minor.
    Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the crash. The "series of failures" at WDW were essentially individual human error.

I don't mean to downplay theme park safety issues (Disney's had some major doozies), but using this isolated incident as "evidence" that any and all safety measures that have been or could be conceived MUST be included in the new monorail design displays the kind of knee-jerk reactionism that always occurs after a rare but deadly incident. Or, in this case, it's simply crass ("See? People who aren't window-advocates would have been responsible for a death!").

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    [Re: Suing Disney] True, but you have to be willing to kiss your Mouse goodbye.
    If this were truly a safety concern, I would guess losing their job would be the least of their worries.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Mr. Liver brought up the postulation that the blame may not be the designer's alone, but that others could have missed it as well, or even intentionally made the choice.

My point was more to - 'what are you doing about it?'

If all you ever do is goto your boss and tell him what's wrong with no interest in motivation in looking at how to fix it - what do you think he's going to think about you?

It can all be summed up by a slogan a boss of mine used long ago

'Solutions - Not Problems'

In short, he didn't want to hear what was wrong, he wanted to hear how we were going to fix those things that we've identified as wrong.

You are either part of the solution, or part of the problem is another popular one.

In short.. sitting on your hands and just blaming people solves nothing. If these people internally really see this as such a safety issue - what are they doing about it? That is 10x more interesting then trying to hang the original problem around someone's neck. Yet.. somehow there is a severe lack of information on this front about even discussing a solution. That to me raises questions of the severity of the original concern.

Those who have the ability to realize there is a problem may not have the wherewithal to provide the solution. But if management is NEVER apprized of problems, then definitely nothing will be done. The first, and most important, part of solving a problem is acknowledging there IS a problem.

As for coming up with the solution, some in management aren't that amenable to underlings coming to them with "solutions" to problems they didn't even know existed. And in some cases, management might just look at the purported "problem" as just employee fussiness that doesn't deserve their attention, especially if said management had never actually had any hands-on relationship with the attraction.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Those who have the ability to realize there is a problem may not have the wherewithal to provide the solution. But if management is NEVER apprized of problems, then definitely nothing will be done. The first, and most important, part of solving a problem is acknowledging there IS a problem.

As for coming up with the solution, some in management aren't that amenable to underlings coming to them with "solutions" to problems they didn't even know existed. And in some cases, management might just look at the purported "problem" as just employee fussiness that doesn't deserve their attention, especially if said management had never actually had any hands-on relationship with the attraction.
    I'm not saying Pilots need to come up with the solutions - just that the postulation is that WDI screwed over everyone else. Ok, so what is everyone else doing to resolve the issue? You can't just sit around and blame WDI and do nothing if this problem is as bad as it's being made out to be.

You used the term 'management' as the catch-all... according to the OP, 'management' in the park is included in the group that got screwed by WDI. So are they aware they got screwed? If so, what are they doing about it? If nothing - you can stop blaming WDI and move on and say be part of the solution or you are part of the problem.

My point was simply.. being dealt a bad hand is not an excuse for doing nothing ever. Either pick yourself up and move forward - or be as bad as those you are complaining about.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito View Post
    Originally Posted by Code90
    "As bfdf55 stated, the crash at WDW was caused by a series of failures. Some who have been downplaying the role of pilots' side windows here would probably argue that each individual failure at WDW was minor"

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the crash. The "series of failures" at WDW were essentially individual human error.

I don't mean to downplay theme park safety issues (Disney's had some major doozies), but using this isolated incident as "evidence" that any and all safety measures that have been or could be conceived MUST be included in the new monorail design displays the kind of knee-jerk reactionism that always occurs after a rare but deadly incident. Or, in this case, it's simply crass ("See? People who aren't window-advocates would have been responsible for a death!").
    Those "human errors" have to have some relationship to the equipment they are using, be it windows, software, mirrors, cameras or additional CM's that are actually viewing the proceedings.

The "series of failures" I noted included a combination of everything that had been established as safety procedures. If anything becomes a flaw in the procedure that can result in a catastrophic failure, it needs to be addressed. In the DL monorail case, the elimination of the side window could conceivably be a critical point in a potential failure of the operational procedures.

As to where the fault lies, I can't identify that. If DL operations agreed to the monorail design without the side windows (either by not being interested or negligence), then it's their fault. If WDI proceeded without the windows despite objections by DL Operations, then it's THEIR fault. However, I would hope that WDI's designers would put themselves in the position of the operator and also approach their design with optimal safety in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito View Post
    Just to clarify, my point wasn't to draw an exact parallel, but to illustrate that every existing procedure is important.

When you remove an existing safety procedure, you are one step closer to disaster.

If WDI is going to remove a safety procedure, there should be an equal replacement procedure.

Whether you agree with that or not is fine. It's just a clarification.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567