Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Flagrant Theme Violation - Halloween Ghost Galaxy at Space Mountain!

except when the person in question plays that very game. He 'refuses' to go because it's done so bad he's written the whole place off - but not enough to not rant about it. He's played his cards long ago, now he just throws jabs in occasionally to keep up the good fight
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    except when the person in question plays that very game. He 'refuses' to go because it's done so bad he's written the whole place off - but not enough to not rant about it. He's played his cards long ago, now he just throws jabs in occasionally to keep up the good fight
    It doesn't matter if he's getting mind-control instructions from Mars, he deserves to be able to post his opinion and to have it argued on its substance, not to have himself attacked with ad-hominem assumptions about his motivation.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Amen. The same bogus "Disneyland, love it or leave it" argument was flung on this thread.

When someone posts how much they love Disneyland, nobody protests, "Oh, yeah? If you love it so much, why aren't you visiting more?" Yet the "if you don't like it, why are you going?" argument is tossed into virtually every thread that criticizes Disney.

It's an ad hominem argument that attempts to squelch only one class of opinions -- those that are negative to Disney.

There's a difference between a general discussion with opossing(sp?) views followed with comments that help progress the discussion in a intelligent manner and blatant, bitter, bickering comments (i.e. "Welcome to The Crappiest Place on Earth"). that do nothing to add anything intelligent into the discussion.

And before any "Your just a Disney fanboy" comments start being thrown around I actually find negative information and comments about the park very interesting. I like having a general discussion when theres something smart to say. I agree that the park isnt what it used to be when I was younger let alone back when it first oppenned and I'm all up for people bringing up cool trivia and info into the peoples attention; but again Mr. Wiggins, there's a difference between someone saying "Well I dont like such and such because yadda, yadda, yadda" and "That place sucks".
    Last edited by Open_at_the_close; 07-19-2009 at 05:55 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Open_at_the_close View Post
    There's a difference between a general discussion with opossing(sp?) views followed with comments that help progress the discussion in a intelligent manner and blatant bitter bickering comments (i.e. "Welcome to The Crappiest Place on Earth"). that do nothing to add anything intelligent into the discussion.
    And who is to decide what is "bitter," "too bitter," or "blatantly bitter?" Who is the arbiter of what is insufficiently "intelligent?" You? Me?

Ad hominem is ad hominem, and in discussion forums it's an unfair tactic regardless of the justification.

Quote Originally Posted by Open_at_the_close View Post
    ...there's a difference between someone saying "Well I dont like such and such because yadda, yadda, yadda" and "That place sucks".
    That's exactly right and I totally agree. My point is that according to the rules of this discussion forum, a poster is free to post either form of expression without having himself or his motivations derided, mocked, labeled, name-called or attacked by other posters.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-19-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• When Will It Return?

You could always just ignore statements that you feel don't add anything intelligent to the discussion...

Just sayin'...

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Knows Where His Towel Is

...Can we get back on topic, please? We were discussing the Space Mountain overlay...

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    ...Can we get back on topic, please? We were discussing the Space Mountain overlay...
    I'm definately excited to try it out!

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    It doesn't matter if he's getting mind-control instructions from Mars, he deserves to be able to post his opinion and to have it argued on its substance, not to have himself attacked with ad-hominem assumptions about his motivation.
    I agree completely. So what would you consider the "substance" of Prag's opinion (I'll quote the entire post here, for context):

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Welcome to The Crappiest Place on Earth.
    To be fair to Open_at_the_close, I think asking why Prag would go to Disneyland at all is a legitimate follow up question to Prag's, um, "argument."

Personally, I don't think the Ghost Galaxy concept prima facie is crappy. I find it to be an interesting twist on a somewhat vaguely-themed ride, based on a holiday that is uniquely suited to cross over into different areas of the park. I mean, it's not Passover Planet or anything, but the concept is intriguing.

(I can't say I'm confident Disney will spend the money to do a first-rate job with the overlay, though...)

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

It's interesting how so many users hates Ghost Galaxy already, even though the name and the fact it's an overlay is the only thing they seem to know about it.

Theres nothing wrong with going on SP in its regular form but I do like the idea of the Halloween overlay for a change because I get to see something different for a change. Plus this overlay will be for a little bit.
    I WANT DL 2 BE MY PERMANENT HOME!
    1 DAY...EVEN IF I BECOME A TEACHER...I WOULD LIKE TO WORK AT DL & HOPEFULLY BE ONE OF THE CHARACTERS TO PERFORM DURING FANTASMIC!

• I read the news today...

Quote Originally Posted by Garfieldo View Post
    It's interesting how so many users hates Ghost Galaxy already, even though the name and the fact it's an overlay is the only thing they seem to know about it.
    A lot of people love Space Mountain and just don't want to see it changed whatsoever. Some people are also lucky to get to Disneyland even once every year, myself included. When I go, I want to ride Space Mountain, not some seasonal overlay version of the ride. Now, you're probably saying "but it's only for one month!" This may be true, but when trying to avoid heavy crowds that could potentially ruin my short stay at Disneyland, September and October seem to be the only good times for visiting for the rest of the year. So, the options are no Space at all or some overlay or massive crowds. When I visit, I want to ride Space Mountain, not some overlay. I'm not opposed to the Ghost Galaxy theme, I'm opposed to any overlay at all.

On the other hand, I know Disney must cater to the locals, and that's fine. I just feel there are so many other attractions that spooky and scary themes work much more appropriately with. For example, put a Halloween overlay on Tower Of Terror, or Big Thunder, or even the Matterhorn. A scary theme works better on the Matterhorn than Space Mountain.
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

There are multiple threads about this latest piece of crap from the brain trust at Disney. But, let me be clear. Unless you're a Scientologist, ghosts in space is a contrivance of the first order of magnitude.

Someone mentioned Passover Planet. But, I can tell you that, if Disney thought Passover was a money-making holiday, I have no doubt we would see something similarly ill-conceived at Disneyland.

Disney doesn't even try anymore. It's clear they think their guests are stupid and that they'll eat whatever slop is put before them.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, one of the main criticisms I've lodged against Disneyland is the fact that the place rarely adds anything and almost never expands with offerings that are decent and worthwhile. So, with Ghost Galaxy, we have reinvestment, but is it something that would persuade me to make a visit to The Happiest Place on Earth?

No, in fact, Ghost Galaxy makes me want to stay away from what is fast becoming The Crappiest Place on Earth. So, the fact that I've found MiceChat increasingly irrelevant is mostly a function of my having lost interest in Disney, itself, because it never improves. The company just finds new ways to suck.

• Dream in wonderful color!

Thumbs down Re: Flagrant Theme Violation - Halloween Ghost Galaxy at Space Mountain!

In case you haven't noticed, one of the main criticisms I've lodged against Disneyland is the fact that the place rarely adds anything and almost never expands with offerings that are decent and worthwhile. So, with Ghost Galaxy, we have reinvestment, but is it something that would persuade me to make a visit to The Happiest Place on Earth?

No, in fact, Ghost Galaxy makes me want to stay away from what is fast becoming The Crappiest Place on Earth. So, the fact that I've found MiceChat increasingly irrelevant is mostly a function of my having lost interest in Disney, itself, because it never improves. The company just finds new ways to suck.
    It's clear they think their guests are stupid and that they'll eat whatever slop is put before them.
    If you don't care about MiceChat or anything Disney then why are you here? You're telling us we're stupid because we're excited for a Space Mountain seasonal overlay.. if you were trying to be rude then guess what... you succeeded.

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

But, let me be clear. Unless you're a Scientologist, ghosts in space is a contrivance of the first order of magnitude.
    Like I said before, it isn't like there are ghosts flying all over the place (assuming it's the same as HKDL's). Ghost Galaxy is just a catchy name. The only thing you see in there is an evil fire creature...which still isn't realistic, but at least it could still fall under science fiction.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast