Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Flagrant Theme Violation - Halloween Ghost Galaxy at Space Mountain!

Flagrant Theme Violation - Halloween Ghost Galaxy at Space Mountain!

Comments? Opinions?

I personally oppose a fantasy, holiday theme being portrayed in Tomorrowland, I dont care how cool or fun it might ! lol ;-)

But since I cant ride it anyways I guess it doesn't really matter to me personally it just 'feels' very wrong knowing they are doing it, I mean cartoon Buzz and Nemo is bad enough in Tomorrowland .........do an alien theme update or something "futuristic"..... not halloween ghosts

I recently was watching a video of Walt stating how Tomorrowland was NOT going to be a view of the future as seen thru eyes of the past (buck rodgers, etc etc,) but that is Exactly what they made it in the 90's due a lack of their own imaginations...

In the 60's and 70's when you went into Tomorrowland you felt like you WERE in the future, but not now...

If they want to do a Halloween Ghost ride why don't they use the Steam locomotives as they pass thru NOS and FL areas?
    Last edited by GothicManor; 07-18-2009 at 07:45 PM.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Flagrant Theme Violation - Halloween Ghost Galaxy at Space Mountain!

I agree with you on this, Gothic..there are many other places in the park more suited to a proper Halloween overlay, Haunted Mansion, even, for one, as Nightmare doesn't count. The ghost galaxy concept doesn't make much sense to me either.

Why is Halloween a fantasy holiday? Many see ghosts and spirits as real, not fantasy. Also, if a Mansion in New Orleans can have ghosts and ghoulies, why can't a space station?

If the theme is as I understand, it's just ghosts which can work. If they have floating Jack'o'lanterns and candy, then it is a violation of theme. Any setting can be themed to a haunted version of that place, but not every place can be celebrating Halloween and still be believable.

I like the idea of aliens, but I think for some odd reason that aliens seem more terrifying than ghosts. They are more akin to monsters, scary looking physical beings who can cause harm whereas ghosts seem more spooky and non-threatening.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• Banned User

I'm just interested in seeing what the Halloween overlay is going to be like for SM. I think it will be fun! I also agree that it may not really fit TL.

My suggestion would be to do a Halloween overlay for Thunder Mountian. Add some projected peppers ghost effects through out the ride (mostly in the lifts) and some in the old town. Change up the sound effects to be scarry ghost sounds. Heck, it already looks like a ghost town, why not step it up a notch for Halloween? They could even add a few pop-up AA goulish miners here and there, like the ones in the attic of HM. Those would be easy to place around, and wouldn't need much work to install them (they could be in barrels, behind a bush (the ghost, mechanism, and bush would be one whole unit), or pop out from a crate of dynamite). Easy to do. Along with some added pumpkins, strategically placed skeletons, etc. It would really be a lot of fun!

• Collision speed....FULL!

The beloved America Sings in TL didn't make sense thematically either. So what if it doesn't exactly make sense, it's a different temporary experience. There are a ton of things that I can list off that don't make sense thematically, even in Walt's day, but I'm not gonna waste my time.

Several attractions work with the right kind of Halloween overlay. They could do Jungle Cruise with the idea of a cursed expedition with skeletons, some effects, and fog machines. Thunder Mountain obviously works well as well being as it is supposed to be a cursed mine train. Matterhorn can be dressed up more dreadful, and I do think Space works as well.

However, I think the strongest choice would be using the weakness of DCA to their advantage. Sure, it wouldn't work well now due to construction, but in previous years I have wondered why they didn't put more into Halloween overlays at DCA. Many of their rides lack the Disney detail and theme which makes overlays trickier than they are for Knotts. Soarin' can easily have a Halloween Time film, GRR can be dressed up for whatever they decide, spooky mazes and walk through areas can be set up in Redwood Challenge/Hollywood Studios/Bountiful Farm/Burger Invasion areas. Screamin can have a new soundtrack and lighting effects, and they can use the open showbuildings for Millionare and Hollywood and Dine.

If Disney wanted to do Halloween Time right, they could dress DCA up to the nines and pull out the stops for the after hours event. Embrace the spooky. It doesn't need to be horrific and scary, but make Mickey's Halloween Treat actually fun for all ages, not just fun for people with small children.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    I personally oppose a fantasy holiday theme being portrayed in Tomorrowland, I dont care how cool or fun it might ! lol ;-)
    There isn't going to be any fantasy in the future? That sucks.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Banned User

First, I say give this a shot, at the very least. Is there ghosts in space? I don't know. Heck, is there even ghosts on earth? Are they even ghosts, or spirits? what's the difference....ok, I'm getting off my topic.
    Second, a more realistic overlay would be on either Big Thunder, or Matterhorn. There has to be great western ghost stories they could add to BTMRR, or Swiss Halloween fables they could add to the Matterhorn. There was a thread awhile back on the Matterhorn getting a halloween overlay.
    Armchair Imagineering: Sleepy Hollow show and Matterhorn Halloween overlay
    If they really add some great props, and some creepy swiss music, the overlay could be done really well. Let's just wait and see how Ghost Galaxies is before we judge it.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post
    My suggestion would be to do a Halloween overlay for Thunder Mountian. Add some projected peppers ghost effects through out the ride (mostly in the lifts) and some in the old town. Change up the sound effects to be scarry ghost sounds. Heck, it already looks like a ghost town, why not step it up a notch for Halloween? They could even add a few pop-up AA goulish miners here and there, like the ones in the attic of HM. Those would be easy to place around, and wouldn't need much work to install them (they could be in barrels, behind a bush (the ghost, mechanism, and bush would be one whole unit), or pop out from a crate of dynamite). Easy to do. Along with some added pumpkins, strategically placed skeletons, etc. It would really be a lot of fun!
    Big Thunder would be a natural, aye...

Big Thunder: Halloween edition

• Future Indy Castmember

Well you know what they say: In space, no one will hear you scream!

In Disneyland theres a similar saying: In Disneyland, no one will hear your complaints! LOL J/K

We never know what could be in space. And remember, were getting this halloween layover from Hong Kong, so if it was popular there then it should be popular here too. Ghosts in space could be an alien lifeform.

Knotts Scary Farm had a space themed maze last year. If a space halloween can work with Knotts, then Disney can make it better in form of a ride.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    The beloved America Sings in TL didn't make sense thematically either. So what if it doesn't exactly make sense, it's a different temporary experience. There are a ton of things that I can list off that don't make sense thematically, even in Walt's day, but I'm not gonna waste my time.
    I agree America Sings did not belong in TL either, it was a post Disney attraction of course, but at least it did have ton's of AA figures something the new Disney people seem to avoid......

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

I dont think it is. I watched videos of it on youtube it looks fine. besides part of Disneyland is supppsending reality, why does no one have a problem with pirates in New orleans when the village is clearly a spanish village or even a haunted manison. It should be lots of fun if you go in with an open mind and a positive attitude!!

• 1 man can make a difernce

Im all for this holiday overlay.

well the history of it is it was an Disney Hong Kong attraction where it didnt matter it didnt make any sense to anyone, and in typical Disney fashion its cheaper to just make a copy of something and put it somewhere else, like taking Soarin over CALIFORNIA and putting in in FL omitting California from the name didnt fool anyone riding it of course, I assume since FL is flat and not too terribly interesting to shoot a film of i doubt watching this for locals makes them feel any better!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboii View Post
    I dont think it is. I watched videos of it on youtube it looks fine. besides part of Disneyland is supppsending reality, why does no one have a problem with pirates in New orleans when the village is clearly a spanish village or even a haunted manison. It should be lots of fun if you go in with an open mind and a positive attitude!!
    Those attractions are not in Tomorrowland which was supposed to be a based on science and technology to give guests a glimpse of the future.....

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast