Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok something I have always wanted to know...

How do they fit the giant Jack Head in the haunted mansion stretching room when preparing for the holidays?

• Mickey's pal

Re: Ok something I have always wanted to know...

It's magic.
    "It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was kid."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

They probably remove the Ceiling scrim temporarily, put up the head, then replace the scrim. The scrim has got to be mounted on a stretcher, like a window screen is on a frame...

But hey, Magic could explain it too.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

my question is how do they fit the head in the room the doors dont look big enough...

• Mortals pay a token fee.

Screwdrivers, nut and bolts

Probably made at Ikea.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
    Screwdrivers, nut and bolts

Probably made at Ikea.
    And the instructions are in Swedish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfito View Post
    my question is how do they fit the head in the room the doors dont look big enough...
    The doors from the Foyer might not be large enough (unless they bring the head and hat in at an angle), but if they come in from the Portrait Gallery end they have 10' ceilings and 8' plus doorways to work with. When those doors are open the walls are fully stretched and the doorway is a lot taller. Then you run the Stretching Room back to the top so you don't need as much scaffolding to get to the ceiling.

Yes, I realize that there's a black painted doorway header at the Gallery door that is lower than the full height of the SR exit doors. But the ceiling in the Portrait Gallery is still higher than that of the Foyer. (I'll have to take a flashlight and see where they hid the door interlock.)

And Jack's Santa Hat probably comes apart separately from the head, if for no other reason than it's made of differently colored pieces of vacuformed plastic like an electric sign... (It is back-lit, so they can't just paint it.)

--<< Bruce >>--

• Ambassador of good will

it's inflatable

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    The doors from the Foyer might not be large enough (unless they bring the head and hat in at an angle), but if they come in from the Portrait Gallery end they have 10' ceilings and 8' plus doorways to work with. When those doors are open the walls are fully stretched and the doorway is a lot taller. Then you run the Stretching Room back to the top so you don't need as much scaffolding to get to the ceiling.

Yes, I realize that there's a black painted doorway header at the Gallery door that is lower than the full height of the SR exit doors. But the ceiling in the Portrait Gallery is still higher than that of the Foyer. (I'll have to take a flashlight and see where they hid the door interlock.)

And Jack's Santa Hat probably comes apart separately from the head, if for no other reason than it's made of differently colored pieces of vacuformed plastic like an electric sign... (It is back-lit, so they can't just paint it.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    Hmm... true but how would it get into the gallery in the first place wouldn't it have to cross several obstacles to get in there...

• Addicted to MC since '08

This has suddenly sparked my interest.

Remind me about this in November or December - I can do a little discreet measuring and estimating, and see if it will go through the front doors or not. That would be the simple way to do it...

And I'm sure that Datameister's blueprints of the building will tell you how they could bring it in a back door to the Portrait Gallery hallway in one piece - they have big roll-up doors in the back (right between the Ballroom and the Attic) to get it onto the Omnimover track, then they would have to walk it all the way around to Load and into the Gallery.

--<< Bruce >>--

Remind me about this in November or December - I can do a little discreet measuring and estimating, and see if it will go through the front doors or not. That would be the simple way to do it...

And I'm sure that Datameister's blueprints of the building will tell you how they could bring it in a back door to the Portrait Gallery hallway in one piece - they have big roll-up doors in the back (right between the Ballroom and the Attic) to get it onto the Omnimover track, then they would have to walk it all the way around to Load and into the Gallery.

--<< Bruce >>--
    I will be sure to remind you but I really don't understand how they do this... the idea that it's inflatable doesn't sound right (it is to glass/ceramic material looking) The doors are pretty big once you arrive down the elevator.. but I don't see an object as big as the roof of the elevator fitting through there... maybe there is another entrance that doesn't pass the omnimover?

I will be sure to remind you but I really don't understand how they do this... the idea that it's inflatable doesn't sound right (it is to glass/ceramic material looking) The doors are pretty big once you arrive down the elevator.. but I don't see an object as big as the roof of the elevator fitting through there... maybe there is another entrance that doesn't pass the omnimover?
    Not inflatable - vacuformed. It's an old industrial process (thought up not long after the invention of thermosetting plastics) that is so handy Mattel even made a toy version of that would do 4" x 4" items.

You start by making a positive form mold - in this case, a big mockup of Jack Skellington's head, and another of his Santa Cap.

Take a big sheet of colored or translucent plastic and clamp it in a frame of a vacuform machine. There is a radiant heating element that heats the plastic sheet till it is soft and flexible. Then you slide the frame and plastic sheet over the positive mold form and seal the edges down, and turn on a vacuum pump under the table. The vacuum pulls the plastic sheet tight down over the positive form and holds it to the exact shape, and then you wait for the plastic to cool and stiffen back up.

Peel it all apart, cut off the excess plastic flash around the edges, and finish to taste.

And I know there are big doors into the Show Buiding, just not how you would get things through them to the Portrait Gallery.

--<< Bruce >>--

Not inflatable - vacuformed. It's an old industrial process (thought up not long after the invention of thermosetting plastics) that is so handy Mattel even made a toy version of that would do 4" x 4" items.
    LOL -- really? That deserves some researching: "My First Vacuform Machine" (I'd imagine a resourceful person could mcgyver-rig a "home" vacuformer out of the insides of a space heater and a big-enough modified air pump for the suction, assuming you could decompress it quickly enough. Personally I would get more mileage from a "home RF sealer" as opposed to a vacuformer, but we're getting off topic...)

Anyways...

Take a look. It's entirely conceivable it's in at least two pieces. Further, the space above the scrim doesn't take up the entire ceiling. As two pieces, it should fit through any of the doors easily enough.

A vacuform machine isn't that hard to do - Jamie built his own. (M5 Engineering AKA "Mythbusters") A carbon-vane vacuum pump or even a good two-stage vacuum cleaner blower would be enough for molding things without fine detail, but for high vacuum you really need a piston pump.

And you'll note in this picture it's front-lit from the edges - see the bright spots around the borders at 2, 8 and 10? But at the end it switches to back-lit, which is why I started thinking 'molded plastic'.

--<< Bruce >>--

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast