Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Cool Nothing beats Disneyland

Ok after reading many posts i have become quite depressed since some are pondering why some rides exist and if disney is getting worse (no offense to any OP).

So here is my question why is Disneyland the best and why will you return over and over again and always keep a fond memory and countdown the days to make new ones. Pretty much why are you a MCer!
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Re: Nothing beats Disneyland

1. I grew up with Disneyland.

2. VMK showed me the beauty of Disney parks and lead me on my way to my true interests

3. Disneyland is a second home to "millions the world over." It's the only place in the world where I can just let go of my fears and just take in a world of love.

4. Wandering through the park, alone, on a cold and quiet night is just the biggest gift anyone can ever ask for. (at least it is for me)

5. It will always be a hot topic (hence the existence of MiceChat)

• A Weather Eye Open

i think a lot of us just care about the park a LOT and just want to see it stay the best it can be. disney isn't always a company that makes the best choices, and not just in terms of rides at theme parks but it terms of its animation, its employees, and its reputation and history. if we, as consumers of the awesomeness that is disneyland, set our standards high and expect the most from the parks that we can, it helps keeps disney in line. it's same for any company, its how consumers keep quality high. and its not just the power of the wallet, and not purchasing things that don't fully meet your expectations. it's also fostering discussion about the product (in this cases the parks) and communicating with each other, the company, and the public what we hope to see from it and what we think would make it even better.

that's the reason i'm an MCer: the park means a lot to me and I want to do it right by A) knowing all that I can about it and B) setting my standards high and understanding what would make the parks better for me and others like me.

why does the park mean so much to me? i really don't know how to explain it. i wasn't what you'd call a "disney fan" before i loved the park. i was raised on a few great disney movies, but there were many i didn't know well and didn't care about. i knew hardly anything about walt or the company.
    i got to come to disneyland for 2 days when i was 6, and 1 day when i was 7. i remember very little about those trips; i was scared and thrilled and fascinated by POTC, i loved the submarines and was very disappointed when i returned for my 2nd trip and they were closed. i vaguely remember the festival of fools and the lion king parade; i screamed and cried and was downright traumatized by big thunder. i went in goofy's bounce house, and also it's a small world. i saw the pocahontas show (and apparently insisted on seeing it a 2nd and 3rd time!).
    when i was going into 10th grade (summer of 2003), my family took a 5 day trip to the DLR and stayed in the Disneyland Hotel. This was a major treat for me and our family. We had a ball! We did everything we wanted (didn't ride any coasters or thrill rides though- still traumatized!). I saw the EP for the first time, rode the teacups over and over, and as my parents and little brother napped, was allowed to roam the resort with just my sister or by myself. We did all of DCA, spent time in DTD, and of course at the end of the trip I could've walked Disneyland Proper with my eyes closed.

Suddenly I was addicted! I had always adored POTC, and I rode it as many times as I could. The movie came out the next week (I missed the premiere by hours and was tortured: had to watch them set up that glorious screen on TSI but couldn't reap the rewards). When I got home, I went straight to the computer and downloaded soundtracks, images, everything I could find on the ride. From there, I found amazing HM sites, and whole-DLR sites. I listened to the Carousel of Progress soundtrack on the Disneyland Source / Visions Fantastic radio!

As I've grown in my education, I become more and more fascinated with certain periods or events in history. I already loved the 50s particularly. One day I found Werner's site Yesterland, and that was the end of it for me! I was addicted to Disneyland history! I would read its pages over and over, alternating with the Snopes site. I don't remember how I found MiceAge, but it was probably through Yesterland at some point. When MiceChat appeared, I became a lurker.

I didn't set foot in Disneyland again until my freshman year of college, when I became an AP. I had spent the last 3 years dreaming of it; of living near it, living IN it, taking a 2 week trip by myself, of setting my career aspirations to someday running it. I had missed it terribly! Around the time I became an AP, I became more active on Mice Chat, and have been off and on here ever since.

I can say with certainty that MiceChat and MiceAge have taught me more about Disneyland than ANY other source. I know the internet has such an awful reputation for rumors and lies, but there are MANY people here who are incredibly knowledgeable, and even specialized in a certain area, and I feel thankful that they share that info with all of us! I am hungry for information in all aspects of my life, and here is one place where I can be NEARLY sated (just nearly, I will always want more). I really do feel like I have learned more about Disneyland on this board than I could've ever dreamed, and there's still so much to learn!

Thanks MCers, I love you guys!
    Last edited by StrikeYerColors; 07-20-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typos
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Well I'm a WDW BOY at heart but I understand and am well aware Disneyland is one of a kind. My WDW would not exist if not for Disneyland. I appericate its importance in our Walt Disney history.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Well I'm a WDW BOY at heart but I understand and am well aware Disneyland is one of a kind. My WDW would not exist if not for Disneyland. I appericate its importance in our Walt Disney history.
    And I appreciate you saying this, sir! Too many people don't even know which came first... all that matters to them is that WDW is "bigger". They are totally unique resorts, each with their own merits and a difference experience! Both worthy of praise and critique! And there is something good to be said for respect to the original, especially when it's not your home park.

• hi!

twobluestripes, that was a great read up there. thanks for that!

i have been to WDWorld twice in my life. and i DO love it there (except for the weather). Epcot's "Around the World" and their abundance of alcohol in each region is definitely going to be something i'll remember (or not remember, HAHA) for the rest of my life.

animal kingdom is also something i will take with me forever. taking snapshots of the meerkats is one of my favorite accomplishments (see sig).

but like you said, each one has its own merits and one shall never be satisfied with his/her "disney fix" with just their homeland park.
    -plagued

• Cars Land Rocks!

I became a fan of Disneyland long before I set foot in the park. As I child I watched the Wonderful World of Disney, and the Mickey Mouse Club and almost anything Disney related. We had many story book records ... 101 Dalamations, Mickey & The Beanstock, that we listened to over and over again. The first time my family came over to Disneyland from Arizona, my bother and I could not believe we were actually here. All the expectations we had before we came were not disappointed. Our family made many trips to Disneyland, though the best was when my brother and I were old enough to drive over ourselves. Even though I was older when I went to WDW with my family I had the same feeling as I did as the first time at Disneyland.

Disney wanted a family park, and the Disney parks are just that. Going back brings found memories of spending time with family, it becomes a tradition, and it is a way to forget the outside world in a way that most other theme parks don't really seem to do. My wife and I had a son 1 month ago and were given a cute Mickey Mouse stuffed character from the city of Orange hospital where he was born. I thought how appropriate ... before we even leave the hospital he gets his first introduction to Mickey and soon the Disney magic that I enjoyed as child and continue to enjoy today.

• Disneyland Connoisseur

As a young boy, I went to a childsitter during the day because my parents both worked full time. My childsitter owned all of the old Disney classics on VHS (back when VHS was still the main video viewing medium). Disney movies were basically the only movies that I watched, and I loved them. Sure, I owned a few of them myself at home, but no where near as many as my childsitter. I went to her house form the age of 2 months, to the age of 7 years. However, I didn't fully appreciate the Disney movies because, at the time, I was obsessed with dinosaurs and that was basically all that I had on the brain. I guess you don't know the best times of your life while they are happening, and I guess that was the case. I never fully appreciated those classic movies. Eventually she couldn't watch my sister and I anymore because of a recent job she was offered. We went through a few more childsitters before I was finally allowed to stay home. My first trip to Disneyland didn't happen until I was in 7th grade. I was 13, and I guess I didn't fully appreciate the park. Sure, I had a great time, but I just looked at it as another theme park. A few years went by, and I became interested in Disneyland one day when I was sick at home. I discovered Yesterland and spent the entire day reading on the site. I now had a sudden interest for Disneyland. I went to Disneyland that summer (last year) and enjoyed it a lot more. When I got home, I guess I became obsessed. I read about Disneyland, ordered Disneyland books, listened to music that was Disney, or at least music that reminded me of the park, and watched Disney movies. I now knew a lot about the park, but I didn't really know why I loved it so much. Well, one day I figured it out... I remembered watching all of the old movies at my childsitter's house. I guess the park brings back some old memories, and reminds me of my childhood. I now realize that I fully appreciate the old films for they are the reason that I love the park. I just got back from the park about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and had a great time. I spent 3 days there this time, and I really want to go back. I have only been 3 times so far, but it is my favorite place in the world. When I walk through the main gates, the world just disappears and I forget about reality. There are no more troubles or worries. The park is like something out of a dream. The park feels magical, and it's a feeling that I only feel at Disneyland.
    4th Trip To Disneyland: June 28th-June 30th!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter45 View Post
    As a young boy, I went to a childsitter during the day because my parents both worked full time. My childsitter owned all of the old Disney classics on VHS (back when VHS was still the main video viewing medium). Disney movies were basically the only movies that I watched, and I loved them. Sure, I owned a few of them myself at home, but no where near as many as my childsitter. I went to her house form the age of 2 months, to the age of 7 years. However, I didn't fully appreciate the Disney movies because, at the time, I was obsessed with dinosaurs and that was basically all that I had on the brain. I guess you don't know the best times of your life while they are happening, and I guess that was the case. I never fully appreciated those classic movies. Eventually she couldn't watch my sister and I anymore because of a recent job she was offered. We went through a few more childsitters before I was finally allowed to stay home. My first trip to Disneyland didn't happen until I was in 7th grade. I was 13, and I guess I didn't fully appreciate the park. Sure, I had a great time, but I just looked at it as another theme park. A few years went by, and I became interested in Disneyland one day when I was sick at home. I discovered Yesterland and spent the entire day reading on the site. I now had a sudden interest for Disneyland. I went to Disneyland that summer (last year) and enjoyed it a lot more. When I got home, I guess I became obsessed. I read about Disneyland, ordered Disneyland books, listened to music that was Disney, or at least music that reminded me of the park, and watched Disney movies. I now knew a lot about the park, but I didn't really know why I loved it so much. Well, one day I figured it out... I remembered watching all of the old movies at my childsitter's house. I guess the park brings back some old memories, and reminds me of my childhood. I now realize that I fully appreciate the old films for they are the reason that I love the park. I just got back from the park about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and had a great time. I spent 3 days there this time, and I really want to go back. I have only been 3 times so far, but it is my favorite place in the world. When I walk through the main gates, the world just disappears and I forget about reality. There are no more troubles or worries. The park is like something out of a dream. The park feels magical, and it's a feeling that I only feel at Disneyland.
    Very Nice post!

As for me i agree with youthat the park is a dream and nothing beats walking through the turnstile gates. And I also grew up loving the movies, now the kids are spoiled with Pixar and 3d movies, but nothing beats the handdrawn movies of Snow White, Cinderella and my favorite Fun and Fancy Free.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    And I also grew up loving the movies, now the kids are spoiled with Pixar and 3d movies, but nothing beats the handdrawn movies of Snow White, Cinderella and my favorite Fun and Fancy Free.
    Super Disney cred for you right there! I've never seen many of those old ones.

I need to get working on my Disney animated canon collection if I'm going to complete it by the time I'm married with kids.

• soul reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    i think a lot of us just care about the park a LOT and just want to see it stay the best it can be. disney isn't always a company that makes the best choices, and not just in terms of rides at theme parks but it terms of its animation, its employees, and its reputation and history. if we, as consumers of the awesomeness that is disneyland, set our standards high and expect the most from the parks that we can, it helps keeps disney in line. it's same for any company, its how consumers keep quality high. and its not just the power of the wallet, and not purchasing things that don't fully meet your expectations. it's also fostering discussion about the product (in this cases the parks) and communicating with each other, the company, and the public what we hope to see from it and what we think would make it even better.

that's the reason i'm an MCer: the park means a lot to me and I want to do it right by A) knowing all that I can about it and B) setting my standards high and understanding what would make the parks better for me and others like me.

why does the park mean so much to me? i really don't know how to explain it. i wasn't what you'd call a "disney fan" before i loved the park. i was raised on a few great disney movies, but there were many i didn't know well and didn't care about. i knew hardly anything about walt or the company.
    i got to come to disneyland for 2 days when i was 6, and 1 day when i was 7. i remember very little about those trips; i was scared and thrilled and fascinated by POTC, i loved the submarines and was very disappointed when i returned for my 2nd trip and they were closed. i vaguely remember the festival of fools and the lion king parade; i screamed and cried and was downright traumatized by big thunder. i went in goofy's bounce house, and also it's a small world. i saw the pocahontas show (and apparently insisted on seeing it a 2nd and 3rd time!).
    when i was going into 10th grade (summer of 2003), my family took a 5 day trip to the DLR and stayed in the Disneyland Hotel. This was a major treat for me and our family. We had a ball! We did everything we wanted (didn't ride any coasters or thrill rides though- still traumatized!). I saw the EP for the first time, rode the teacups over and over, and as my parents and little brother napped, was allowed to roam the resort with just my sister or by myself. We did all of DCA, spent time in DTD, and of course at the end of the trip I could've walked Disneyland Proper with my eyes closed.

Suddenly I was addicted! I had always adored POTC, and I rode it as many times as I could. The movie came out the next week (I missed the premiere by hours and was tortured: had to watch them set up that glorious screen on TSI but couldn't reap the rewards). When I got home, I went straight to the computer and downloaded soundtracks, images, everything I could find on the ride. From there, I found amazing HM sites, and whole-DLR sites. I listened to the Carousel of Progress soundtrack on the Disneyland Source / Visions Fantastic radio!

As I've grown in my education, I become more and more fascinated with certain periods or events in history. I already loved the 50s particularly. One day I found Werner's site Yesterland, and that was the end of it for me! I was addicted to Disneyland history! I would read its pages over and over, alternating with the Snopes site. I don't remember how I found MiceAge, but it was probably through Yesterland at some point. When MiceChat appeared, I became a lurker.

I didn't set foot in Disneyland again until my freshman year of college, when I became an AP. I had spent the last 3 years dreaming of it; of living near it, living IN it, taking a 2 week trip by myself, of setting my career aspirations to someday running it. I had missed it terribly! Around the time I became an AP, I became more active on Mice Chat, and have been off and on here ever since.

I can say with certainty that MiceChat and MiceAge have taught me more about Disneyland than ANY other source. I know the internet has such an awful reputation for rumors and lies, but there are MANY people here who are incredibly knowledgeable, and even specialized in a certain area, and I feel thankful that they share that info with all of us! I am hungry for information in all aspects of my life, and here is one place where I can be NEARLY sated (just nearly, I will always want more). I really do feel like I have learned more about Disneyland on this board than I could've ever dreamed, and there's still so much to learn!

Thanks MCers, I love you guys!

super cool post! i was going to reply in this thread.. but now i don't know what else i could add?

very cool.

• soul reflector.

Actually I'd also like to add that there is really something about Walt's vision that went into Disneyland that sets it apart from other theme parks. I have only been to WDW once when I was very young, but to me the feeling you get walking into Disneyland is much different than any other theme park I have been to. Other parks seem more about the thrills of rides and really that's it.. the story, emotion, visualization, everything Walt and Co. poured into the design of the park still intrigues me even after all the changes the park has seen since Walt's passing.

Thank you, Walt!

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    And I also grew up loving the movies, now the kids are spoiled with Pixar and 3d movies, but nothing beats the handdrawn movies of Snow White, Cinderella and my favorite Fun and Fancy Free.
    I agree. I've always loved the animation from when I was a kid and and adult. I bought all the old Disney films on VHS when I was young, then started buying them again on DVD. A lot of my friends were always surprised I had all the classic Disney films and no kids .... Well now I have a kid, and my Disney collection is ready for him.

• DL Obsessed

For me, it started at an older age than an younger age if you could beleive that. When i was a child i of course loved all the disney movies, but i cant say i had or have seen every Disney movie. When i was younger i got to visit Disneyland 3 times by the age of 12, so i didnt exactly grow up with it, but i got to enjoy it, and i loved it. It was an amazing place. But it wasnt until i went when i was 18 and went that i really fell in love with the place.

Then the more i read about it, the more i learned about it, and the more i learned about Walt Disney, the more the park just plain inspires it. So much stuff was so far beyond the times from 1955-1966 that its unbeleivable. The first EVER steel roller coaster. I mean that right there is just downright incredible. Walt was the kind of guy that looked at something impossible, and said "we're going to do it, and we're going to do it right". He was the kind of person that would risk everything to open a place like Disneyland. A kind of person that would tear down a transportation system 1 year after it was built to build the Monorail. Who does that nowadays?

No one at Disneyland, thats who. .

But that place for me just puts me at peace. Its the one place in the world that i can go and let everything else in the world disappear. It's my laughin' place. Its my happy place.

I know this probably sounds dumb but my dream is to get a job for Disneyland being a "suit". But what i want to do is to work my way up far enough to actually have a say in what is done in Disneyland, and flip it upside down. I mean, i can walk around Disneyland and count things that Walt would disapprove of. Lets see, for starters, the entire tomorrowland. Also, i know this is nit picky but i during the firework show, Disneyland brought cast members from rides, in ride attire outside of the lands and into other lands. Its kind of something minor but i think thats unacceptable. When entering the lands, you are supposed to have absolute illusion that you are in that time, or in that atmosphere. But when you see someone in Main Street wearing tomorrowland attire directing traffic, it totally ruins it.

I've got a bit off topic, but thats why i love Disneyland, and also, thats what i dream. I think that Disneyland is a dream for Walt, and encourages me to continue to dream regardless of how many times i fail, and how many people doubt me.

I love Disneyland...

ok sorry that seems like spam but in Disneyland every single problem is gone and fantasy become reality. There is a magic feeling wherever you go! It is such a wonderful place to be with friends and family!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast