given the task to create a new attraction to take
    it's place.

However the Imagineers did not want to relinquish
    the Hillbilly bears so, amoung other concepts produced,
    one of the ideas was to create a small type flume attraction
    along with a comical roadrace that would feature the
    bears.

Photo provided from Insights and Sounds

Unfortunately the rendered idea was not well received.
    And instead, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    was chosen to be the replacement of the Country Bears.

With the mass opposition of closing down the Country
    Bears Jamboree and the negative reception that the
    Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh darkride was given,
    do you believe that the re-imagined attraction of the Country Bears
    would have been the better attraction to have instead?

Thread inspired by the latest article from
    Insights and Sounds: Disneyland's Race to Nowhere

• "I Break Things"

Re: A Re-Conception of the Country Bears.

There were two specific concepts I've thought about for Country Bear. One would have been driving an old model T through the "backstage" areas of the theater trying to deliver instruments to Rufus... Think of it like a CBJ version of Mr Toad as you crash through doors of dressing rooms etc. The climax would be you driving across the stage while the finale of the old show was going. surrounding you with AA's of the show on one side, and AA's of the audience on the other...

The second thought was a reduced cave theater in Redwood Creek. It would be slightly larger then the current footprint of the Brother Bear show. The show would be "downsized", allowing for 1 main stage and 2 side stages. You would also have the classic 3 on the wall of the cave. This would tie into the "mountain music" theme of the area and display our state symbol... the bear! It would also be an air conditioned option on a hot day for those little ones not tall enough for GRR. Lastly it would bring back unique characters.

I've discussed before in great detail why I feel Pooh "failed" on multiple levels. If they made an honest attempt to clean up Pooh it likely would work. My main complaint was the loss of unique characters in favor of "the flavor of the week". This appears to be a recent trend with Disney... stick a character on a weakly conceived attraction in hopes people will simply show up to see the character and not notice the lack of anything else.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Member; Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    There were two specific concepts I've thought about for Country Bear. One would have been driving an old model T through the "backstage" areas of the theater trying to deliver instruments to Rufus... Think of it like a CBJ version of Mr Toad as you crash through doors of dressing rooms etc. The climax would be you driving across the stage while the finale of the old show was going. surrounding you with AA's of the show on one side, and AA's of the audience on the other...
    This would have been an entertaining and
    amusing attraction to experience.
    Bravo, yet again Tech.

The second thought was a reduced cave theater in Redwood Creek. It would be slightly larger then the current footprint of the Brother Bear show. The show would be "downsized", allowing for 1 main stage and 2 side stages. You would also have the classic 3 on the wall of the cave. This would tie into the "mountain music" theme of the area and display our state symbol... the bear! It would also be an air conditioned option on a hot day for those little ones not tall enough for GRR. Lastly it would bring back unique characters.
    I still advocate to this idea.

My main complaint was the loss of unique characters in favor of "the flavor of the week". This appears to be a recent trend with Disney... stick a character on a weakly conceived attraction in hopes people will simply show up to see the character and not notice the lack of anything else.
    Agreed.

• "I Break Things"

In the end Pooh's marketing numbers won out against the uniqueness of CBJ. That is essentially what it boiled down to. They were selling a great deal of Pooh merchandise in the area prior to CBJ's removal. The lack of people attending CBJ is mainly what closed it. Once closed Disney looked at the Pooh sales and said "we want Pooh". It really didn't matter what the story was, they just wanted Pooh.

Disney later came out with a CBJ movie. Personally I hated it, really bad movie. I would be afraid that Disney would try to tie any CBJ show/attraction to that movie... and that in my mind would be a disaster.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Great stuff!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Member; Mousketeer

The movie had nothing to do
    with the attraction's premise.

So it was blessing in disguise that the
    film was deemed as a failure.

And Disney continues to look at Pooh's
    sales and revenue. Which I believe has
    something to do with a new feature film
    being approved.

• Banned User

^^ So far I agree with everything in this thread. I LOVED the CBJ, and was quite irritated to see Whinnie the Pooh take its place. I guess our hope now is to have CBJ arrive in DCA. I really hope they decide to bring back this awesome attraction, either in dark ride form, or sit down show form. Either way, Disney needs more unique characters. They're relying too much on what their characters are now, and not actually creating characters for the park.

• Future Skipper

I really like that poster! But I don't think we need another flume in Critter Country...
    I'd like to see it either as a dark ride, or, even better IMO, half dark ride half roller coaster!

• "I Break Things"

I know there was talk within WDI of putting a Mine Train and a CBJ theater within GRR. The reasons cited for not doing so were structural integrity and cost.

Another thought would be to incorporate CBJ and GRR... making it the "Splash Mountain of DCA" in a sense. The two issues I see with that are a lack of time (GRR moves too fast) and exclusion of a target audience (families with kids too small for GRR).

I feel DCA needs the unique characters, and CBJ would bring a lot to Redwood Creek. At the same time I would hope that the Pooh in Critter gets some attention as well.

• Member; Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Another thought would be to incorporate CBJ and GRR... making it the "Splash Mountain of DCA" in a sense. The two issues I see with that are a lack of time (GRR moves too fast) and exclusion of a target audience (families with kids too small for GRR).

I feel DCA needs the unique characters, and CBJ would bring a lot to Redwood Creek. At the same time I would hope that the Pooh in Critter gets some attention as well.
    The only probable idea is to add a darkride
    where Redwood Creek currently resides.

But, as you mentioned, time could remain
    as an issue.

• "I Break Things"

One of the nicer things about the reduced CBJ show is that it would not be an additional show (argument being an over-saturation of shows). It would be replacing an existing show. I like Redwood Creek to a point... I feel it really doesn't do well with little kids though... and honestly fails to capture the true beauty of Sequoia.

• Member; Mousketeer

I believe that's true.
    And it's a relitively humble
    for what it is.

But so much more can be done
    to this area. Not just to cater to
    small children, but to families overall.

Also I think you and I can agree that this
    area should not be treated how Critter Country was.

• Im a stage Ninja

i really wish that disney would bring back CBJ i think it world go well in or near GRR
    This is my Leko their are many like it but this one is mine. With out my Leko i am job less, with out me my Leko is not working

• Storyteller

That is a really cool poster and a very interesting idea. I can definitely see why it didn't happen though. I agree that DCA needs their own original cast of characters, but I really don't see Disney reviving the Bears and putting them in. Kids these days don't know who they are. I'm happy they're at least still putting on a show at WDW.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by JFSebastian View Post
    That is a really cool poster and a very interesting idea. I can definitely see why it didn't happen though. I agree that DCA needs their own original cast of characters, but I really don't see Disney reviving the Bears and putting them in. Kids these days don't know who they are. I'm happy they're at least still putting on a show at WDW.
    As a counter argument though.... kids didn't know them when they were originally put in either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast