Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

BLAB Improvements

With all the talk of attractions fitting their respective lands I keep thinking about BLAB. There have been a few concepts off and on, each discussing how to make BLAB in some way "fit in" with the perceived futuristic ideal of Tomorrowland. Some believe in making it a walk in toy. Others have commented that it should be "Space Ranger Training".

There's concepts where targets are harder to hit, concepts where targets are easier, concepts where targets shoot at you and some concepts where you can be hit by the lasers of others. The problem is that if Disney made anything "more serious" where things shot back then they are stepping into the "war/anti-war" debate. They would become another example of "acceptable violence in the media"... which is sad but honestly true.

So in that light I thought it would be fun to improve BLAB from a physical standpoint. How can it be made more challenging for Adults, and easier for Kids? Here are my thoughts...

• Fog- The blasters are basically modified laser pointers, with the proper amount of fog you could see the beams and accurately hit the target. Also "rolling fog" would create the creepy sense of being on an alien planet.

• Glasses- To take a simple trick from TSMM... glasses... the difference is that they are specially designed spectrum glasses which would enhance the light of the beam thereby needing less fog. If Disney was really slick they would make the beams and the targets the same color (red). Bottom line improved accuracy

• Multiphase Targets- Imagine if you need to hit multiple targets (talking 7 or 8) in a specific order to gain the highest score.

• Level Adjustments- Allow the individual to select their respective skill level prior to playing. The higher the skill level the less the targets are worth (except multiphase targets which would be worth more). Think of this as the "curve"... Also a modification would be made to show skill level and score on your picture. Displayed would be the top score, along with the top 3 scores in each skill level.

I realize theme can be improved. I am more curious about improving the actual ride experience for both little kids and adults. I am wondering if others have thought about similar things.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Re: BLAB Improvements

I am not a fan of ideas 2 or 4. Idea 2 would just make it too similar to Toy Story Mania. Idea 4 sounds a bit unfeasible with the omnimover system.

BLAB is a cardboard cutout fest that is totally outclassed by TSMM. In 5 years replace it with something that feels more permanent and relevant to Tomorrowland (Keeping the ride system). Maybe it could be a revolutionary new interactive ride that doesn't involve shooting for once.

Of course, in the meantime, fog would be excellent.

• Disneyland History Lover

I like Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters for what it is. That and both myself and my boyfriend always enjoy trash talking each other before boarding the ride. (With a high of over 600,000 points, he usually wins.) Thematically, it is space-themed but not Tomorrowland-themed. It fits into Tomorrowland because of that but I honestly don't like that it's right there when you walk into Tomorrowland. I don't quite like the idea of two movie-based attractions being on either side of the entrance... Star Tours being the other. If Asto Blasters were further into the area that would be a different story and I probably wouldn't mind it as much. That being said, I think in a few years the ride will need an overhaul to at least keep it interesting. But as it stands, it's decently popular and with the new Toy Story movie coming out it should do fine for the next few years.

You don't need fog to see the laser. There are laser guns out there that show the actual laser beam in bursts (like in Star Wars). I don't know if you've been to Laser Quest, but they are a perfect example of laser tag in this fashion.

Here's a YouTube video as an example.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EjmdRjicmY"]YouTube - Laser Quest[/ame]
    Last edited by Princess Victoria; 07-20-2009 at 09:55 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

• Still wants to be a cat!

Geez....it's a fun ride for all ages now, maybe just leave it alone.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

It's tacky and thematically inappropriate. Ditch it! Bring in something that is amazingly fun and possibly educational that also fits the theme of the land, please.

• Yeti Enthusiast

Keep the track and ride system and make a new Adventure Through Inner Space.

• Minion

- Completely remove all scenery and figures but the Buzz and Zurg AAs.

- Have Pixar design atmospheric sets and bad guys that are consistent with the Pixar visual style, and that would be appealing to see on a ride even if there wasn't a shooting element (that way, the "interactivity" becomes the icing on the cake).

- Design targets aren't constantly blinking and don't all look exactly the same. I get that it has to be obvious where the guests have to shoot, but it totally destroys the atmosphere with those tacked-on looking Z targets. At least incorporate them better into the design of the characters. Also, there should be more of a reaction by the evil robot (or whatever) you just zapped, so you know that you hit your target.

- Have bad guys that can "shoot back." There could be a target on your vehicle, and that could be a reason that you have to spin it - to avoid getting blasted yourself.

- Retheme to an experimental new video game technology that takes you into the video game, which happens to be the next-gen version of the Buzz Lightyear video game from the second movie. This way, the ride fits Tomorrowland (pioneering new technology) and can still feature Buzz (though he will be a video game sprite, not a toy.) This concept could be established in the queue, which could feature a throwback to the old mighty microscope, except this time, the cars all go into a machine that digitizes them into the video game system. Retheme the outside to a futuristic video game company, instead of a giant green Buzz Lightyear playset.

- Possibly have a point in the ride where you have to do something other than shoot. Make some kind of choice in your journey. Make a little more of the so-called "interactivity" than just a score that has no bearing on the outcome of the adventure (I know they won't want to end the ride with, "GAME OVER, you lose and Zurg rules the universe," but there could be some kind of variety based on the riders' choices.)

- Alternate retheme - do the "go into a video game" concept, but dump Buzz altogether and do Kingdom Hearts, or Tron, or liscense some classic Nintendo characters.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Yea, right. That's going to happen!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Banned User

In regards to your Level Adjustment idea, I think it should be left up to the CM to set the Skill Level. However, prior to setting the level, the CM would be required to ask all Canadian guests to take a simple mathematical quiz in order to determine their skill level. HEY, I've seen some sweepstakes require this of Canadian winners. Just read the fine print or official rules.

Of course, I am just kidding about this...No offense to our Canadian neighbors!

But, I'm not kidding about the sweepstakes thing. I don't know where I saw it, but as long as it says Canadians are eligible, it's probably in there. Take some time to read the official sweepstakes rules. Stupid, but it is there.

• Animation Domination

The ride should have some changes with more targets to shoot at. Parts of the ride doesn't have targets at both sides (the right and left).
    "You are watching FOX"

• "I Break Things"

As much as I wouldn't mourn the loss of BLAB, I am a realist. It likely will not go anywhere anytime soon. Which is why I would hope they will improve it. I like some of the ideas being pitched here. The "levels" would be simple push buttons that individuals can select prior to the start of the actual game. Once the car enters the station the settings are erased and the next to board make their selection.

I also think they should have different size targets to make it easier/harder for individuals. In that respect only the smaller targets are really valuable for the "expert" level.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

the only thing at this point i think BLAB needs is a change in story..being a space ranger is fine..being a toy..is not..hes im TSMM as a toy ..so why cant they take out the whole toy aspect of it in tommorow land.. do away with the batteries and the toy script and just redo the lines still be the same ride just a bit more realistic then a giant shoot em up with toys..

• Keep Moving Forward

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    - Retheme to an experimental new video game technology that takes you into the video game, which happens to be the next-gen version of the Buzz Lightyear video game from the second movie. This way, the ride fits Tomorrowland (pioneering new technology)
    Actually, this still doesn't really match Tomorrowland's theme.
    Interested in visions fantastic of Disneyland?
    Check out my albums on Flickr by clicking here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast