Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 97
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    80

    Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Hearing about the “fixing” of California Adventure is usually exasperating. And if the rumored blue print of the new Fantasyland in WDW is true, then the whole "fixing" of California Adventure is even more infuriating.


    Firstly, The Little Mermaid is a Danish fairy tale without much of a California connection except the park has a lagoon area and Mermaids swim. Great theming - I expect this from Six Flags.
    WDW seems to be getting the theming right by looking to put their Little Mermaid ride in Fantasyland.

    And, WDW will have room to do add the Little Mermaid ride by removing the Toontown Fair area. Disneyland should have lost Toontown and that area should have moved over to California Adventure. If the theme of California Adventure is Walt's California including Hollywood - it would make sense to have the stars - Mickey and friends - live in this park.

    Plus, the new Toontown could have included already proposed Disney rides and some old ones such as:
    Duck Bump Ride (Duck Tales)
    Mickey's Mad House
    Mickey Mouse Revue (MK and TokyoDisneyland)
    The Great Muppet Movie Ride
    Chinese Theater's Villain Ride

    Also, what is Monsters, Inc. doing in California Adventure? The ride has no connection to California or Hollywood. Monsters should be in Fantasyland as well as the Little Mermaid ride.

    By removing Toontown, Fantasyland in Disneyland could expand just like WDW but on a smaller scale. A Snow White Mine Coaster and new dark rides would be wonderful.

    Cars is a good movie, but it is not such and iconic film to justify having its own land If part of the "fixing" of California Adventure is to theme it to when Walt was a young man then maybe having a land focusing on Walt's love of motion (cars, trains, boats, and airplanes) would work - it could include the Cars attractions plus maybe a train ride through the California desert to view native animals with a comic theme like the Jungle Cruise. And maybe Soarn' could move there, too.

    Golden State could focus on the great outdoors by including A Bug's Land and maybe a fun dark ride with Donald camping with Chip and Dale.

    The only part of the California Adventure that is working in terms of theming is the boardwalk area of Paradise Pier.

    Disney is correcting a poorly designed park with a hodgepodge of things instead of creating a coherent theme.

    I feel like Faye Dunaway in Mommy Dearest when she said "Tear down that *ITCH of a bearing wall and put a window where it OUGHT to be.” Get rid of the bad parts of DCA and put a quality theme park where it ought to be.
    Last edited by elitepetite; 07-23-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Typos

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Well, this was a rather nice summary of the moans that have plagued this board for months. Thanks!

  3. #3

    • failure for lunch
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    377

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    I completely agree. If they build a fun ride featuring Donald Duck camping with Chip and Dale, DCA will finally have a coherent theme.
    Last edited by manifest; 07-21-2009 at 01:21 PM.

  4. #4

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    15,102

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Well to think about it, much of DCA could have been placed in Disneyland; then we all could have been spared the destruction of the beloved Parking Lot


    Grizzly River Rapids.....could have been placed where he BTBBQ/Festival Arena area.

    Soaring..............would have made a much better replacement for Circlevision than Astro-Blasters.

    Tower of Terror............replace the Twilight Zone theme with a Mickey and the Beanstalk story and place it on the NW corner of Toon Town.

    Tough to be a Bug........Magic Eye Theater.

    Little Mermaid.............Shoe-horned in between the Matterhorn and the North side of of Circle-vision building.

    Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.........Funds could have been used to repair and re-open Fort Wilderness on TSI.

    Hyperion.............Anything they show there probably could be done at the Fantasyland Stage.

    Heimlich's Chew Chew...........put it up on the Peoplemover track
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

  5. #5

    • We Go On.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    This is probably the most depressing thread I've seen in months on MiceChat, simply because people are complaining that Disney is spending a billion dollars on improving California Adventure greatly. Enjoy it for what it is, and what it will be.

  6. #6

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by elitepetite View Post
    Disney is correcting a poorly designed park with a hodgepodge of things instead of creating a coherent theme.
    Good post, and an excellent summary of what has been -- and continues to be -- wrong with that sorry excuse for a quality Disney theme park.

    It's always a hopeful sign for the future of Disney when its customers can tell the difference between the quality that it used to create, and the scattershot, marketing-driven crap it's cranking out now.


    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Well to think about it, much of DCA could have been placed in Disneyland; then we all could have been spared the destruction of the beloved Parking Lot


    Grizzly River Rapids.....could have been placed where he BTBBQ/Festival Arena area.

    Soaring..............would have made a much better replacement for Circlevision than Astro-Blasters.

    Tower of Terror............replace the Twilight Zone theme with a Mickey and the Beanstalk story and place it on the NW corner of Toon Town.

    Tough to be a Bug........Magic Eye Theater.

    Little Mermaid.............Shoe-horned in between the Matterhorn and the North side of of Circle-vision building.

    Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.........Funds could have been used to repair and re-open Fort Wilderness on TSI.

    Hyperion.............Anything they show there probably could be done at the Fantasyland Stage.

    Heimlich's Chew Chew...........put it up on the Peoplemover track
    I hope you're joking..

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    552

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by elitepetite View Post
    Hearing about the “fixing” of California Adventure is usually exasperating. And if the rumored blue print of the new Fantasyland in WDW is true, then the whole "fixing" of California Adventure is even more infuriating.


    Firstly, The Little Mermaid is a Danish fairy tale without much of a California connection except the park has a lagoon area and Mermaids swim. Great theming - I expect this from Six Flags.
    WDW seems to be getting the theming right by looking to put their Little Mermaid ride in Fantasyland.

    And, WDW will have room to do add the Little Mermaid ride by removing the Toontown Fair area. Disneyland should have lost Toontown and that area should have moved over to California Adventure. If the theme of California Adventure is Walt's California including Hollywood - it would make sense to have the stars - Mickey and friends - live in this park.

    Plus, the new Toontown could have included already proposed Disney rides and some old ones such as:
    Duck Bump Ride (Duck Tales)
    Mickey's Mad House
    Mickey Mouse Revue (MK and TokyoDisneyland)
    The Great Muppet Movie Ride
    Chinese Theater's Villain Ride

    Also, what is Monsters, Inc. doing in California Adventure? The ride has no connection to California or Hollywood. Monsters should be in Fantasyland as well as the Little Mermaid ride.

    By removing Toontown, Fantasyland in Disneyland could expand just like WDW but on a smaller scale. A Snow White Mine Coaster and new dark rides would be wonderful.

    Cars is a good movie, but it is not such and iconic film to justify having its own land If part of the "fixing" of California Adventure is to theme it to when Walt was a young man then maybe having a land focusing on Walt's love of motion (cars, trains, boats, and airplanes) would work - it could include the Cars attractions plus maybe a train ride through the California desert to view native animals with a comic theme like the Jungle Cruise. And maybe Soarn' could move there, too.

    GoldenState could focus on the great outdoors by including A Bug's Land and maybe a fun dark ride with Donald camping with Chip and Dale.
    The only part of the California Adventure that is working in terms of theming is the boardwalk area of Paradise Pier.

    Disney is correcting a poorly designed park with a hodgepodge of things instead of creating a coherent theme.

    I feel like Faye Dunaway in Mommy Dearest when she said "Tear down that *ITCH of a bearing wall and put a window where it OUGHT to be.” Get rid of the bad parts of DCA and put a quality theme park where it ought to be.

    This is an excellent analysis of what Disney should be doing. If Disney isgoing to spend nearly $1 billion on imporving DCA - improve the right way - with a coherent theme and attractions that make sense. Little Mermaid belongs in Disneyland. A Bug's Land should be removed and replaced with California themed attractions or an expanded Toontown. Country Bears should be brought to DCA and go where Little Mermaid is. Disney should be the money more wisely and in a CREATIVE fashion.

  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    552

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    This is probably the most depressing thread I've seen in months on MiceChat, simply because people are complaining that Disney is spending a billion dollars on improving California Adventure greatly. Enjoy it for what it is, and what it will be.
    This is the wrong attitude. We ALL LOVE DISNEY. Disney needs to create a themed attarctions that fit DCA. Monsters does not fit. A Bug's Land does not. Little Mermaid does not. What DCA does not need is a hodgepodge of attractions that do not add to the theme of Disney's CALIFORNIA Adventure.

  10. #10

    • www.JonAutopsy.com
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA.
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by elitepetite View Post
    Cars is a good movie, but it is not such and iconic film to justify having its own land

    I agree 100%
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

    JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

  11. #11

    • Disney/Anime/Furry Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Nice posts.

    Final Fantasy reference?

    Sorry, I just had to do this.

    Battle Begins.

    -Disneyland Vs. DCA

    -Disneyland struck DCA with it's pixie dust.

    -DCA takes 356 damage!

    -DCA uses California Screaming on Disneyland.

    -Disneyland takes no damage.

    -Disneyland uses the Eye of Mara.

    -DCA takes 1000 damage!

    -DCA casts the new Walt Disney's World of Color. DCA regains 1000 HP.

    -Disneyland casts Fantasmic, Remember, and Magical Combined.

    -DCA takes 5000 damage!

    -Disneyland felled DCA!

    -Disneyland Wins the Battle!


  12. #12

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    552

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    This is probably the most depressing thread I've seen in months on MiceChat, simply because people are complaining that Disney is spending a billion dollars on improving California Adventure greatly. Enjoy it for what it is, and what it will be.
    We are not complaining that a billion dollars is being spent - we are complaining on HOW the money is being spent. Investing nearly a billion dollars is great but is Disney solving the problem - fixing DCA's theme and cohesion?...the answer is NO. World of Color is great besides that the new improvements just do not fix DCA.

    What is depressing is the Disney thinks it throw money around and fool its loyal customers. Not going to happen.

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, Cali
    Posts
    539

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    Nice posts.

    Final Fantasy reference?

    Sorry, I just had to do this.

    Battle Begins.

    -Disneyland Vs. DCA

    -Disneyland struck DCA with it's pixie dust.

    -DCA takes 356 damage!

    -DCA uses California Screaming on Disneyland.

    -Disneyland takes no damage.

    -Disneyland uses the Eye of Mara.

    -DCA takes 1000 damage!

    -DCA casts the new Walt Disney's World of Color. DCA regains 1000 HP.

    -Disneyland casts Fantasmic, Remember, and Magical Combined.

    -DCA takes 5000 damage!

    -Disneyland felled DCA!

    -Disneyland Wins the Battle!

    So where are the Chocobo's?

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    70

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Clearly, all of these movies that were made in California have nothing to do with California at all.

  15. #15

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    15,102

    Re: Final Fantasy and Disneyland/DCA Nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    I hope you're joking..
    I'll never tell
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 7/21: Final Fantasy?
    By Al Lutz in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 04:47 AM
  2. Final Fantasy
    By WickedlyCharmed in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 04:49 PM
  3. final fantasy III DS...
    By figment1986 in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2006, 11:23 PM
  4. Final Fantasy XIII
    By FI183 in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2006, 10:24 PM
  5. Final Fantasy XII
    By FantasyForever in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-08-2006, 02:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •