Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Lightbulb 20,000 Leagues Remake = Subs Retheme?

Disney is in the process of making a big remake of the Disney classic 20000 Leagues Under the Sea.

The original Disneyland Submarine Voyage had ties to the original film (though still had its own originality).

When Disney gave the greenlight for Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage, after ignoring and passing off other potential ways to reinvigorate the aging attraction, Disney basically declared that the original attraction was somehow "not relevant" to today's audiences.

Now they seem to, in an offshoot way, have taken that back.

With this big budget film in the works, do you think they might consider redoing the subs?

• soul reflector.

Re: 20,000 Leagues Remake = Subs Retheme?

Considering how recently the Nemo renovation was done, and the popularity of the ride, I highly doubt it..

no not yet because it is only like 2 yrs old and still very popular. I am pretty sure that the remake is a prequel not an acutual remake. I was just thinking the other day how cool it must have been to see the natuilis at WDW when it was opperating I also think the ride might be to small to fit the size of those subs. but that is just me.

• Cunning infiltrator

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is great. Too bad it is just a past popular ficiton. As the newer generation has never heard of the story. Or even the watch the famous 1954 movie. Too bad, the WDW Submarine Voyage of 20,000 LUDS is removed and replaced with happy, go-lucky, lighthearted, retilling of the slightly sad story of Finding Nemo for the submarine voyage.

I remembered back in 2001, when Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire was green lighted and debuted in El Capitan Theater at Hollywood and theaters around US. Also, the promotional and previews in late 2000 of Atlantis.

Disney wanted to revive the aging old Submarine Voyage and refurbish the whole lagoon and theme it to based on the new movie during that time. The subs will be based on the Ulysses submarine, but each with their unique names.

Also, inside the sub, you will experience the Leviathan damaging and crushing your sub after you venture through the waterfall (deeper into the depths). The effects in the sub makes it feel like you are in shaking alarming sounding submarine with a hint of sparks flying in your face and water (mist) coming through the hinge bronze steel. Also, expect torpedo fire from your sub you are riding.

The attraction was already planned during late 2000. The blueprints were made, the old subs were tested with the new effects of Atlantis. When the movie is released in theaters, it didn't so well in the box office. So, Disney shelved all the plans and blueprints of rethemeing and refurbishing the whole lagoon for Atlantis. What a pity.....

If Disney really did made it, it would be awesome compare to Finding Nemo's rated G atmosphere. Atlantis Submarine Voyage will be dark and PG. Like the movie.

Join Milo and his expedition team to find the Lost City of Atlantis.

Too bad....I wish the Atlantis Submarine Voyage would made into reality for Disneyland before Finding Nemo bump in. I mean Atlantis will kind of fit for Tomorrowland, because the submarine and the technology is steampunk stlye in a Pre-World War I. It is like that during that time technology improves. So, it will fit for Tomorrowland.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• soul reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    If Disney really did made it, it would be awesome compare to Finding Nemo's rated G atmosphere. Atlantis Submarine Voyage will be dark and PG. Like the movie.
    But it seems like the G-rated atmosphere is exactly what they want for the ride, considering it was the same atmosphere with the original subs that were always popular.

I agree it'd be cool if the Atlantis thing would of happened.. but would they really of gone to such a scary-to-kids type theme? (e.g. sparks flying, torpedos, etc..)

• Inhospitable about happy

On the other hand...

Isn't it true that most of the specifically Nemo elements are merely projections on the glass walls within the dry chambers? Other than that, you've got...what? There's the soundtrack and a couple of AA's of divers and Darla. The gull buoy. Am I missing anything?

Seems to me they could switch the thing over to something other than Nemo without big costs. They could devise a swap-out, alternative story if they wanted to, like the HMH in the Haunted Mansion. Maybe they could do a 20K Leagues temporary overlay (or would it be an underlay in this case?) to promote the film when it comes out. They'd have to live without the realistic possibility of making the subs look like Nautilus, but that doesn't seem fatal. If it and the film proved popular enough, it could quietly become the regular and Nemo could be the occasional swap-out.

• Banned User

Weren't they considering a Little Mermaid theme for the subs? I would have liked that much better than Nemo.

• Storyteller

It's a shame they didn't put the Atlantis overlay in mainly because of its lukewarm box office performance; Mr. Toad and his friends are from a fairly offshoot Disney film The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad, and that ride is one of the most popular in the park.

• soul reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by JFSebastian View Post
    It's a shame they didn't put the Atlantis overlay in mainly because of its lukewarm box office performance; Mr. Toad and his friends are from a fairly offshoot Disney film The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad, and that ride is one of the most popular in the park.
    But built during a different time.. when you look at how Disney is not only building attractions, but devoting entire LANDS themed to successful box office takes, I suppose that is a huge part of the measuring stick these days.

However, I agree with your sentiment whole-heartedly!

• Comets? Comets!

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Isn't it true that most of the specifically Nemo elements are merely projections on the glass walls within the dry chambers? Other than that, you've got...what? There's the soundtrack and a couple of AA's of divers and Darla. The gull buoy. Am I missing anything?
    It sounds easier than it actually is.

For starters, all of those projections are perfectly placed, and even the slightest nudge can throw off half of the show. And that's not even taking into consideration the careful placement of all the show items within the rooms, which need to be in-sync with the audio in the subs themselves as they pass through. Granted, the drivers are in control of the sub speeds, but they have set markers within the building that let them know what speed they should be going at. If there's a change in that speed, then all of the subs need to go through test and adjust all over again, so it really is a big domino effect.

So taking out the projections and show items, and replacing them with new projections or show items would be too much of a hassle. It's not as simple as adding decorations and a few new AAs like HHM.

• "I Break Things"

It's unfortunate but I highly doubt Nemo will be unseated by 20,000 leagues. Tarzan and Pooh both stand in testament to the staying power of a character regardless of how well it "fits".
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Closed Account

Yes, it sounds like a prequel, focusing on Nemo (the man, not the fish). I'm curious as to how this will play out, as a fan of both the movie and the Verne book. I sure hope it remains true to Verne's original, and doesn't follow the path of the silly made-for-TV movies of several years ago.

As for the ride, I personally would love to see Goff-style Nautili plying the lagoon, with giant squids threatening below, and ships from "that hated nation" above ready to be pierced by a sub like a needle does sailcloth.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I would personally love to see the submarines be restored back to the way it was. I actually like the Submarines when I was a kid, and I have just went on it again a few months ago, and the Finding Nemo theming is well done, but it just doesn't fit with the theme of Tomarrow.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

It sounds like we all agree that we WISH the Subs had a 20,000 Leagues or Atlantis theme instead of Nemo. However, they sunk a ton of money into the Nemo subs and it will be a long while before they consider any major changes. Before that happens, Tomorrowland needs to be fixed and so does Frontierland.

Great to dream, but I think we are stuck with Finding Nemo for the long term.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Cunning infiltrator

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage opened in early 2007. It took a very long time for Disney to give attention to the aging lagoon after the original Submarine Voyage closed in 1998. Such a shame.

My mom didn't like the new Finding Nemo. She says, there is nothing really special about it compare to the original one. But, back in 1960's and 70's underwater Disney technology wasn't high-end. But great at that time.

What happened to the real live beautiful mermaids? Some of those ladies look pretty hot and beautiful. Of course there were no mermaids in Finding Nemo. So, they don't exist. But back in 60's and 70's. Those mermaids swimming in the lagoon, sitting on the sea rocks and combing their hair is neat. Also, the mermaids waves at guests when they are walking near the lagoon or even talking to them.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast