Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Clemente
    Posts
    209

    Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    Hi,
    So today I was thinking about Ghostly Galaxy and it got me thinking if I could build Space Mountain over again how would I do it?
    My answer is intense (if you ask me anyways haha)

    I would increase the height of it adding that second deck Walt had planned and expand it so that there would be no outdoor Q by moving the base of the acutual bottom of the "Mountiain" to reach the very edge of the the top of HISTA. The interior would be redone with a focus more on thrill, with loops and cork screws things like that and, the lighting would be like the scene in Peter Pan's Flight with acutall light bulbs inside. For the Q I would make it more like Hong Kong's and Tokyo's combined the bottom of it would be like rocks so that it looks like Space Mountain is coming out of the ground and not a struture and I would have a spped ramp going straight up for the center starting where the cosmic ball is and the interior would be like Tokyo's, almost the same. then for HISTA I would replace it with a trackless WALLE ride. which you would roam around the AXIOM and try to trackdown the plant from AUTO and such. Then I would move the starcade over to the "Outdoor" seating for pizza port and theme it to how pizza port looked in the movie and I would unfortiantly remove the moonliner because it does nothing for my plans, but do not worry homage would be everywhere.

    I would also add Mission Space, albeit with a different planet and space craft, inside Space Mountain in little discs around space mountain each would house a shutlle and an elevator to get to them would be inside space mountain. I can't decied if it should be enclosed and play the pre show or have windows and allow you to see the interior of space mountain or both? The entrance would be like Hong Kong's Space Mountain where you enter through like a portal and walk through the Q which gives the history of space missions and explains your mission today. There would also be part of my people mover going through the Mountain, but that is another thread.

    So thoughts? Love it? Hate it?

    Thanks!!

    EDIT: I would like to say I would like to tone down the thrill factor and make it more like it is now just maybe bigger drops and more left hand turns! haha. Also money is not an issue cause this is blue sky to the max.

    new edit: I think iu would keep the orginal space mountain track too as well as my idea with a loop and corkscrew.
    Last edited by disneyboii; 09-13-2009 at 07:07 AM.

  2. #2

    • Comets? Comets!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    189

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyboii View Post
    with loops and cork screws
    You lost me there. Those coaster effects are so bland these days because they're so over-used. A coaster can still be an awesome coaster without pandering to the extreme thrill crowd.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Clemente
    Posts
    209

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    SolCross,
    Those were just the 1st things I could think of. I would probably use G forces more, but I mean come on a loop in the dark that would be so cool for anyone!!!

  4. #4

    • soul reflector.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    94

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyboii View Post
    SolCross,
    Those were just the 1st things I could think of. I would probably use G forces more, but I mean come on a loop in the dark that would be so cool for anyone!!!
    It'd be really cool.. but at some point things would possibly become TOO thrilling for a Disney attraction?

    Maybe, maybe not?

    A in-the-dark thrill ride at SMFF might work pretty well though..

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,633

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain



    I like it! At first I didn't like the idea of changing Space Mountain at all, but after thoroughly reading your plans everything just sounded so cool. I can actual visualize what it would look like and the intensity of your plans are great. I don't know about the loops though. DL is more kid friendly and with such great things to see with what you want to do, you wouldn't want them to miss out on it right? But anyways, good job and nice imagination. :]

  6. #6

    • Christmastime for Rocker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Heres
    Posts
    6,524
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyboii View Post
    Hi,
    So today I was thinking about Ghostly Galaxy and it got me thinking if I could build Space Mountain over again how would I do it?
    My answer is intense (if you ask me anyways haha)

    I would increase the height of it adding that second deck Walt had planned and expand it so that there would be no outdoor Q by moving the base of the acutual bottom of the "Mountiain" to reach the very edge of the the top of HISTA. The interior would be redone with a focus more on thrill, with loops and cork screws things like that and, the lighting would be like the scene in Peter Pan's Flight with acutall light bulbs inside. For the Q I would make it more like Hong Kong's and Tokyo's combined the bottom of it would be like rocks so that it looks like Space Mountain is coming out of the ground and not a struture and I would have a spped ramp going straight up for the center starting where the cosmic ball is and the interior would be like Tokyo's, almost the same. then for HISTA I would replace it with a trackless WALLE ride. which you would roam around the AXIOM and try to trackdown the plant from AUTO and such. Then I would move the starcade over to the "Outdoor" seating for pizza port and theme it to how pizza port looked in the movie and I would unfortiantly remove the moonliner because it does nothing for my plans, but do not worry homage would be everywhere.

    I would also add Mission Space, albeit with a different planet and space craft, inside Space Mountain in little discs around space mountain each would house a shutlle and an elevator to get to them would be inside space mountain. I can't decied if it should be enclosed and play the pre show or have windows and allow you to see the interior of space mountain or both? The entrance would be like Hong Kong's Space Mountain where you enter through like a portal and walk through the Q which gives the history of space missions and explains your mission today. There would also be part of my people mover going through the Mountain, but that is another thread.

    So thoughts? Love it? Hate it?

    Thanks!!
    Your proposed idea is good, but a little too ambitious. This was originally planned for Disneyland when Space was shut down for it's 50th makeover. The problem with this is that Space Mountain is a great coaster the way it is, it even still gets up to 75 minute waits on busy days.

    As for a Wall-E ride...no more Pixarization of Disneyland and DCA please. No doubt there needs to be a replacement of HISTA, but that ride wouldn't fit here. It could probably work at Disney World (maybe at EPCOT). As for Mission Space inside...no.

  7. #7

    • Cunning infiltrator
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    1,105

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    Thrills are good sometimes.

    Wonderful ideas, I like it! They seem to fit and it improves the atmosphere of Tomorrowland. Can Disneyland Management approve? I doubt that. Because of expansive costs and a long time makeover.

    But some of your ideas is similar to mines that I thought out and imagined.

    For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

    Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Clemente
    Posts
    209

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    Ya Disneyland is supposed to be kid friendly but it wouldn't be so super intense that it made anyone scared, my sister who made me come pick her up cause happy feat was to scary loves screamin and space mountain so maybe just one loop isn't that freaky. idk maybe.

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Clemente
    Posts
    209

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    as for Disney Mangement approving it, well we call it blue sky for a reason.

  10. #10

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,758
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    I like the idea of improving the special effects inside the mountain. If they can do it for Peter Pan, they can do it for Space Mountain.

    The launch tunnel is wonderful! So is the soundtrack. However, there should be some three dimensional comets and asteroids and much better stars.
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,633

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyboii View Post
    Ya Disneyland is supposed to be kid friendly but it wouldn't be so super intense that it made anyone scared, my sister who made me come pick her up cause happy feat was to scary loves screamin and space mountain so maybe just one loop isn't that freaky. idk maybe.
    i know plenty of little kids that are tall enough to ride Space Mountain and enjoy it, but if a loop was put in, they'd be scared to death.

  12. #12

    • Cunning infiltrator
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    1,105

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    Seriously, though. Would any young child enjoy the new Space Mountain with 3 loops, six corkscrews, and other inversions in the ride? I mean, you are riding in darkness complete with cosmic galaxies, stars, cookie asteroids, planets, and a black hole! Now that would be scary!

    Look at Disneyland Paris' Space Mountain. It launches straight up at 0-60 mph! The Space Mountain there has one big loop and two corkscrews and long helix. I heard the french's version of Space Mountain is awesome and even better than the one at Disneyland and WDW combined.

    For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

    Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

  13. #13

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,758
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post

    Look at Disneyland Paris' Space Mountain. It launches straight up at 0-60 mph! The Space Mountain there has one big loop and two corkscrews and long helix. I heard the french's version of Space Mountain is awesome and even better than the one at Disneyland and WDW combined.
    The theme of the Paris Space Mountain was the best of all the Space Mountains for sure. However the ride itself is just ok and sort of painful. Still, I love it. But I think it is always better to err on the side of making a ride more friendly to people of all ages than to make it too extreme.
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  14. #14

    • Drink life to the lees.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    1,841 miles from Disneyland
    Posts
    396

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    The theme of the Paris Space Mountain was the best of all the Space Mountains for sure. However the ride itself is just ok and sort of painful. Still, I love it.
    That ride is.... very painful for me. I got off it and I had a terrible migraine for the rest of the day. And it even isn't that great. It's definitely the best themed and has the coolest effects but... it hurts!! lol

  15. #15

    • MC, this is LD
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    3348'35.38"N, 11755'8.28"W
    Posts
    1,200

    Re: Space Mountain/Discovery Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I like the idea of improving the special effects inside the mountain. If they can do it for Peter Pan, they can do it for Space Mountain.


    Dusty, you have to remember, Space Mountain is easily 12 times bigger than Peter Pan. And since it is all fiber optics, you would need to multiply the number of fiber illuminators by a factor of 12, and you would need to increase the number of fibers in each star from 5 (that's what I'm guessing PP has), to at least 20 to 30 fibers in each star bundle. Also, think about the amount of fiber optics cable you would need. Lets say one fiber costs $0.02 per foot. You need to run the cable to 100 feet away from the illuminator. Let's just say you have 25 fibers in each bundle to be easily visible from the track.


    $0.02 X
    100 feet
    =
    $2.00 per strand

    $2.00 X
    25 strands
    =
    $50.00 per star

    Disney may be a multi-billion dollar company, but I don't think they will spend $500,000 for 10,000 stars, just for the addition of an effect to add while refurbishing a ride. Maybe a new ride, but still that is really expensive.



    --KAN



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. TDL's upgraded Space Mountain vs. DLR's Space Mountain
    By ChrisFL in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
  2. Spooky Space Mountain/Haunted Space Mountain Idea...
    By Quacky4Donald in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 02:39 PM
  3. Loops in Space Mountain? 60 MPH in Space Mountain?
    By Abominable Snowman in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-22-2007, 01:29 PM
  4. Space Mountain or Thunder Mountain, which is faster?
    By Magic Mirror in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-03-2007, 12:42 PM
  5. RockIt Space Mountain vs. Rockin' Space Mountain
    By WatchYourHeadNStep in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-19-2006, 04:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •