•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Cast Members working at Edison Field with the Angels?

So back in 1996-2003 when the Angels were owned by Disney, there were cast members working at Edison Field. Above is their nametag. Can anyone tell me exactly what they did at the field? Perhaps anyone has pictures from this era? Any help is appreciated.

• Disneyland History Lover

Re: Cast Members working at Edison Field with the Angels?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I did go to a game back in April and surprisingly quite a few of the fireworks shells used in Disneyland, including the smiley face, were shot off at the end of the game. I thought this was interesting.

• Nill

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I did go to a game back in April and surprisingly quite a few of the fireworks shells used in Disneyland, including the smiley face, were shot off at the end of the game. I thought this was interesting.
    The shows are not run by Disney, but rather Pyro Spectaculars. Smiley face shells aren't unique to Disney, or even any other pattern shells like cubes. There really aren't that many different shells used in pyrotechnics, not as many as people would think. At least not enough to make a noticable difference in display companies.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

I went to my good share of Angels games before and during the Disney period. As I recall, when Disney owned them, all of the employees at Edison Field were referred to as "cast members" - Disney does this with any dealing-with-the-public venue they own, including ESPN Zones (including those located away from the respective Anaheim/Orlando Downtown Disney locations). As I recall seeing, this was also the standard issue Disney-style nametag issued to Edison employees.

I don't think there were any Disneyland cast members working there, if that's what you were asking.

• I love my family!

All Disney Employees are considered Cast Members from top to bottom, their all part of the show in some way.

So when Disney bought the Angels they all became Disney cast members.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
    All Disney Employees are considered Cast Members from top to bottom, their all part of the show in some way.

So when Disney bought the Angels they all became Disney cast members.
    I want to say that certain workers there were contracted out through other companies. I'm thinking that security and concessions employees worked for an independent company under contract from Disney. But I could be wrong. It's been awhile.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    As someone mentioned, Disney has nothing to do with their fireworks show. However if you recall seeing thr "rock pile" out in center field, that feature was designed by WDI. I doubt if they maintain it. But it was designed and built by them.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

The rock pile was a Disney design? Wow! At my house it's called the "carbuncle". To me it's never fit with an Angels/So Cal feeling.

And the logo from back then was butt-ugly.

Thank you. I feel better.

• Semi-Lurker

I worked for Disney at then Edison Field in 1998 as a Senior Sales Associate (basically a supervisor/lead in merchandising). That was the year the stadium was remodeled and renamed. As I recall everyone wore one of those nametags even though not everyone worked for Disney. There was Ogden and Levy Restaurants for concessions, and a security company I can't recall the name but there the guys who wear the yellow jackets at concerts. The ushers, ticket takers and parking lot attendants were considered Disney employees though previously they had been City of Anaheim employees.

Many of the cast members I supervised (and yes that was the term used) had worked at the stadium for years, and they told me that Disney paid SIGNIFICANTLY LESS then the city/concessionaires had paid in the past.

I have been going to games for years and the loudest cheers I have ever heard in my life was when Gene Autry was driven onto the field during the pre game grand opening festivities. That same night I also heard the loudest boo's I have ever heard in my life when they introduced.....Michael Eisner.

After the 98' baseball season Disney stopped doing merchandise sales for the Angels and Ducks and handed the concession to another company since sales did not meet expectations, so much for the company's vaunlted synergy plans! There was a lot of reasons for this but the main reason was the buyers could never understand that baseball fans and theme park visitors are two completely different types of customers and could never hit on the right mix or type of merchandise offered.

As for pictures, the stadium has not changed that much since Disney left so I don't think that pix would be that enlightening, just go to a game. Hope that helps the OP, your Mrs Slocombe picture rocks.
    Last edited by ExCandyMaker; 07-23-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: clarity