Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

How much does the dream job make?

And other imagineering questions.

I know that Imagineering hires thousands of professions, for hundreds and hundreds of jobs spaning every aspect of theme park operation. I also know that they don't just hire anyone with a degree, and require excellence and a broad range of knowledge. I think it would go without saying that virtually all of us here would love to be Imagineers.

But my question is, how much does an imagineer for the DLR make? Also, does anybody know anything about the ladder that one would work up in order to move further into an Imagineering career? Basically, Im going to school for Engineering and I want to know if it is feasable for me to work towards a future career with Disney. In order to do that, I would have to have it in the back of my mind now for the steps I take in school. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Trevor; 07-22-2009 at 12:43 PM.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: How much does the dream job make?

There are many different types of jobs within Imagineering, not just ride design. They need architects, engineers, scientists, computer programmers, and a universe of other careers. So just find what you love and go from there. Then, perhaps, you might get on with Disney. Keep in mind there are lots of people that want the same thing as you, so it can be very competitive.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I know that there are hundreds of careers but I already know that I am interested in being a drafter or engineer. Also, I realize the competition is stiff but I have been winning drafting competitions, fine arts awards and the like for years, while gaining knowledge in many aspects of theater and the like. I just want to know if I did get hired, would the compensation justify the lifestyle change.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    I just want to know if I did get hired, would the compensation justify the lifestyle change.
    This sentence is probably the key.

That all depends on what kind of lifestyle change you'd be making. I'd bet large you will not make as much as you could elsewhere. It is not the highest paying job on Earth, nor does it come with much glamor or praise. People don't become Imagineers for the lifestlye, or for the pay. They do it because they love it passionately. These are people who sincerely love doing what they do and aren't in it for the money. I'm sure they are comfortable... but don't expect a stellar salary.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I wouldn't expect a 6-figure salary, if that's what you're thinking.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Hmm, that might be misleading. By lifestyle I don't mean glamerous mansion living, I mean moving a family thousands of miles to a new country in search of a dream career.

• Storyteller

As mycroft said, the majority of Imagineers probably make a fairly comfortable living. If you're Tony Baxter or Tom Fitzgerald, you probably make a very respectable living. Again, you don't do it for the money, you do it because you love it. You can have a degree in almost anything and would be able to find a job there that suits your specific talent. They literally hire people of all talents. Tony Baxter said in an interview that they get many portfolios from aspiring Imagineers, but they look for something that makes you unique and stand out. WDI loves people with a general understanding of many fields that also specialize in one area.

It's very daunting wanting to be an Imagineer, I get discouraged sometimes and think I'll never get hired, but if you really want it you have to work for it. You have to show them why you're worth it - why they need you. It's also nice to make connections and be persistent.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The other question, would imagineering jobs be on a per project basis or can you get a longstanding job with Disney as an engineer?

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    The other question, would imagineering jobs be on a per project basis or can you get a longstanding job with Disney as an engineer?
    I'd bet most of them are salaried
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Senior Minion

The entire architecture and engineering industry is generally a pay based on experience industry, and I'm pretty sure WDI is the same way. So generally the salaries will be comparable to any other position within your discipline. From what I've heard they both hire long term and by project. They do have a reputation for laying off large numbers of people when projects end, which I guess comes from the movie industry influence, as well as practical needs. The more personal questions are ones you have to answer for yourself. It really all depends on how important the job is to you.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

talk to the career center where you are taking engineering classes. WDI has contacts with most engineering programs in southern california, so they answer these types of questions and if you get a contact you might be able to land an internship.

• Don't lets be silly! ºoº

Much like teachers, you do it because you love it.

Quote Originally Posted by JFSebastian View Post
    If you're Tony Baxter or Tom Fitzgerald, you probably make a very respectable living.
    You can't really count them, they're Vice Presidents... so yes, they do make a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    From what I've heard they both hire long term and by project. They do have a reputation for laying off large numbers of people when projects end, which I guess comes from the movie industry influence, as well as practical needs.
    I have seven friends who are former imagineers. Once they're project was done, so was their job. Though they each worked on their projects for a few years.

• :)

everyone here has answered the questions for you - If you're a VP or Director then your salary is generous...For the most part - if you're looking for money, pursue another employer. WDI is driven by passion, not money. They don't make a lot.

• Banned User

I'd say start in the bottom of the ladder. The best way to get in is by being in already. I've herd this from countless imagineers. I've also been told that it's better to freelance because they constantly lay off Imagineers, but you if you free lance, you'll get a call when they need you again and you'll have other porjects to keep you busy. It all just depends on what you want and how you come to aquire it.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Haha moving to Cali to freelance isnt exactly a sound financial plan. I guess I was hoping someone would know something about a starting salary for an Engineer with Disney. I'm not hoping it is huge, Im just trying to look at its feasability. With not so positive results.

I can tell from some of the responses I'm coming across as just another kid wanting to be an imagineer, but this post was supposed to be a step that others don't always take toward an assesment of feasability. B.C. is a long way from Burbank.
    Last edited by Trevor; 07-22-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast