View Poll Results: Which Disney resorts have you been to?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disneyland Resort

75 98.68%
  • Walt Disney World Resort

53 69.74%
  • Tokyo Disney Resort

6 7.89%
  • Disneyland Resort Paris

12 15.79%
  • Hong Kong Disneyland Resort

2 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Progressive Disneylander

Re: Your Opinion on "CLONING" rides & attractions

I think cloning is fine.

We here on MiceChat are an enthusiastic bunch of Disney park fans and because we are, many of us have been to more than one Disney resort. So when we go to other Disney resorts, we enjoy the different attractions at those resorts. However, us MiceChatters are far from the average Disney guest.

The truth is that the average Disney guest does not go to more than one resort so cloning doesn't affect them at all. Actually, it's only a plus as they will now be able to get to experience a particular attraction that another resort will has as well.

The WDW visitors on the east coast do not visit DL. Personally, I'm the only person I know who goes to -- or has ever been to -- DL. I'm not saying there ain't some folks around here who go to DL, but I've never met anyone else. However, I do know and have met many people who have been to WDW, but have never been to DL.

Ride cloning is Disney being realistic. It keeps costs lower while enabling the parks in their resorts to expand. Being that the majority of guests do not resort hop, it's a win-win for the company and guests.
    Last edited by KISSman; 07-22-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob™ View Post
    Uniquie attractions equals unique parks.

Otherwise there would be no incentive to
    visit the other resort properties stateside
    and abroad.
    Enough said, Perfect!
    -Tyler

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Why on Earth would they open a supermarket in Idaho, when we have one in California? Oh, because the one in California is geared towards people in California and the one in Idaho is geared towards shoppers there.
    Not the greatest example you could have chosen as a rebuttal since the idea of a supermarket is the same everywhere, but supermarkets are not identical. They are geared towards the market they are in. They are not cloned, but similar. Exactly the point I was making in my last post.

Similarity is wonderful. I'm all for similarity. If something works, don't dump it completely. But give it a unique flavor all it's own. Just as Pirates is not cloned from DLR to WDW. There are differences. The idea is the same, but the rides are not.

The costs are so high to develop new attractions, that the company gets more return on the investment by offering those attractions at all of their locations.
    I'm not suggesting they develop new attractions in favor of cloning. What I'm suggesting is that they don't carbon copy (clone) rides, but that they alter them. I would also like to see parks foot shared bills if they are going to clone. Tag on an extra couple million to develop rides with areas that can be changed or made differently, then have the parks who want it share the cost. This ends up being vastly cheaper and allows for the uniqueness of each parks ride to be preserved.

Make some subtle changes, but when most major costs are shared, the cost goes down for all the parks, and they can spend the money they save on MORE rides down the road.
    This is exactly what I have been advocating, but apparently in too subtle of a way.

Here, maybe this will help:

• Similar: Sharing many characteristics and traits, especially the core concepts, but having differences in other areas that are noticeable without altering the core.
    • Clone: Identical in every regard.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Diamond Edition

I can't think of any Disney attraction that has ever truly been cloned (exactly the same in two places) other than attractions that are films (Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Star Tours, It's Tough to be a Bug, etc...) and even in those cases, the queue is different. The truth is that none of the parks have identical layouts or the same amount of space to devote to each ride, so I don't think you will ever see an exact carbon copy. There will always be differences. However, it is much cheaper to reuse the molds used to make sets and characters in one park to make the same things for another and I see nothing wrong with this. It's being economical. So as they make the figures and set pieces for DCA's Mermaid ride, they can duplicate them for WDW's version. There will no doubt be differences, but they are saving money by doing it this way.

• Senior Minion

I think there are a lot more people who go to both DL and WDW then people think, and I think that they need to be more thoughtful about what attractions they clone, especially because they are trying to establish DL as a multi-day resort currently. To simply say that everyone in the rest of the country always goes to WDW and this will not change is pretty much accepting that the DCA project is a waste of time because DLR will never be a legitimate competitor to WDW.

I also think it would be wise for Disney to listen to the DLR fans who are complaining about clones. There are about 30 million people who can drive to DL and home in one day, about 10% of the US population. Within this population also exists the largest and most dedicated group of followers of Disney parks, because many are lifetime fans and have very personal connections with DL. Amongst the people I grew up with, most went to DL at least once every year or so, and many took at least one family trip to WDW. To ignore this market, of not quite hardcore fans, but definitely fans, who will not only go to DL frequently, but also take a couple of multi-thousand dollar, all on property, WDW vacations in their lifetime, would be a big loss. Many of these people are more than willing to take a WDW vacation if there’s still a reason to go, which they have been slowly removing since 2001. They can get a lot more money out of you by actually drawing you to your non-home resort. To just accept that all west coasters will now just go to DLR would be a big mistake on Disney’s part IMO.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Diamond Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I think there are a lot more people who go to both DL and WDW then people think, and I think that they need to be more thoughtful about what attractions they clone, especially because they are trying to establish DL as a multi-day resort currently. To simply say that everyone in the rest of the country always goes to WDW and this will not change is pretty much accepting that the DCA project is a waste of time because DLR will never be a legitimate competitor to WDW.

I also think it would be wise for Disney to listen to the DLR fans who are complaining about clones. There are about 30 million people who can drive to DL and home in one day, about 10% of the US population. Within this population also exists the largest and most dedicated group of followers of Disney parks, because many are lifetime fans and have very personal connections with DL. Amongst the people I grew up with, most went to DL at least once every year or so, and many took at least one family trip to WDW. To ignore this market, of not quite hardcore fans, but definitely fans, who will not only go to DL frequently, but also take a couple of multi-thousand dollar, all on property, WDW vacations in their lifetime, would be a big loss. Many of these people are more than willing to take a WDW vacation if there’s still a reason to go, which they have been slowly removing since 2001. They can get a lot more money out of you by actually drawing you to your non-home resort. To just accept that all west coasters will now just go to DLR would be a big mistake on Disney’s part IMO.
    Both resorts are on opposite ends of the country. The truth is that Disneyland mostly caters to the West coast while Disney World caters to the East Coast and much of middle America. I love Disneyland and prefer it as a park to Magic Kingdom, but this does seem to be true from my own experience and looking at the numbers of how many guests visit WDW vs. DL in a year. Disneyland fans eventually visit WDW, but most WDW guests never make the pilgrimage out West. The Disneyland Resort has many attractions that aren't found here, the highlights of which are Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, California Screamin', and the Aladdin show. I think it is safe to say that these attractions will never be cloned at WDW either. Disneyland already offers enough to entice a WDW guest to make their way out there, but that doesn't mean it happens. Also, you will notice that Disneyland specific marketing is pretty much limited to California, whereas WDW advertises on a national level. Even with the more generic "Disney Parks" adds, the castle shown is Cinderella's.

This doesn't mean that the DCA project is a waste of time. I take about 2-3 trips to Disneyland a year and to be honest, the changes at DCA are the main reason I am looking forward to future visits. In addition, DCA has a problem where not many of Disneyland's guests go there, so the expansion will give them more reasons to splurge on a park hopper or to spend more time there. The current trend is for guest's to head there for an hour or two and then go back to Disneyland for the rest of the day. That is what they are trying to change. They are trying to make DCA an all day park like Disneyland. And I think that once it is all complete, Disneyland truly will be a multi-day destination. At the moment, I feel it is about a 2 day trip, which is usually how long I am there.

With the examples you gave, you said Disneyland fans typically take "1 family trip to WDW." I think that right there is the main reason why Disney doesn't care if Disneyland fans are unhappy with rides being cloned at WDW. If they are taking 1 trip and that is all they plan on because they live so close to Disneyland, then why do they need to keep offering things they can't already get at Disneyland? WDW already has enough exclusive attractions to warrant at least 1 visit from even the casual Disneyland fan. And even if those families take several trips to WDW throughout their lifetime, it's still not the annual vacation destination that many East coast and Midwestern families have turned it into. Basically, the West coast is a small fraction of the WDW market and therefore is not Disney's primary concern. 90% of Epcot and DAK can't be found at Disneyland and while much of DHS has been cloned at DCA, there are still enough attractions that can't be found there. Basically, that is three parks that offer many things that Disneyland can't provide. People are going to make the trip to WDW regardless of whether or not it has a clone of DCA's Mermaid, but the addition of Mermaid will cause many East coast and Midwestern families who may have been on the fence about taking a vacation to change their minds and book a trip to WDW.

And I still think that Disney does a good job of making each park different enough and each version of rides around the world different enough to make riding them elsewhere a new experience.

• Drink life to the lees.

Thanks for all of your opinions everyone!!

It's interesting to hear what you all have to say

• A Weather Eye Open

I don't mind cloning a little bit, but I do really like it when each park has a few attractions that none of the others have! Or even when the attractions are the same in name, but different enough to see both (or to want to see the original AFTER you've seen the "clone"). Examples? No one but the DLR has the Matterhorn. Indy at the DLR is truly unique, even though Japan has it's own, different Indy. We have the original POTC, as well, and it is longer (and better) than the one at WDW. However, it's been clear from just reading about it that WDW's Tower of Terror DOMINATES the one at DCA, and is always getting better (random drop sequences? I think I'd pee my pants!). I would love to see the 4 Disney resorts that I've never been to and to try out all their unique attractions that only THEY have.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I'm not sure why some people are so against cloning of rides. The parks are geographically, extremely far apart. Not all of us have the luxury of traveling across the globe to experience all of the different offerings so I'm 100% for cloning., Now that doesn't mean I'm against new ideas either, in fact I welcome them even moreso.
    Exactly! I totally agree.

Although, I am sometimes confused as to which park would be considerd "closer" to me.....Orlando is a 5 hour flight but only costs about $175.00 round trip......Anaheim is a 2+ hour flight but costs $240.00 rt.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I for one am all for similar rides, but am against pure cloning. On our recent trip to WDW, we had no reason to go on the two most popular rides at the resort, Soarin' and Midway Mania as they are total copies of what we have in California. On the other hand, I loved going on Haunted Mansion, it's a small world, Pirates because they aren't the same as the ones at Disneyland. I have zero issues with the Magic Kingdom getting a Little Mermaid attraction, but if it is exactly the same as the one in DCA, I won't make a point of wanting to go to FL to experience it.

I realize not everyone can go to both resorts and it is cost effective to just duplicate an attraction, but that just makes the resorts seem more corporate and have less individual character that I fell in love with in the first place.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Senior Minion

I don't mind some cloning either, and I also agree with the others that the same theme with unique elements is great, especially for the DL style parks. I just worry that they are going to go too far with it, especially between DL and WDW, which are by far the most likely to share visitors, and unfortunately have received a lot of exact clones recently. I actually totally support the idea of cloning in concept, but I think they need to have smart strategies for doing this. They soon will have six resorts to share projects amongst and I think that if they use smart strategies about how the themes of the new parks and lands are chosen they can create variations on clones easily which will fit their context of their specific park and make each park unique.

Also, DCA, and in some ways the DLR as a whole, is a special case as well because it really needs to become a resort which I think will require a couple of iconic attractions that both help define that park and make it a draw for people everywhere. While TLM certainly would fit well in other parks, I think many people were hoping that it would be one of these types of rides for DCA. If it goes to WDW it will still help, but it just won't maintain that draw it would have otherwise for the DLR.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    I for one am all for similar rides, but am against pure cloning. On our recent trip to WDW, we had no reason to go on the two most popular rides at the resort, Soarin' and Midway Mania as they are total copies of what we have in California. On the other hand, I loved going on Haunted Mansion, it's a small world, Pirates because they aren't the same as the ones at Disneyland. I have zero issues with the Magic Kingdom getting a Little Mermaid attraction, but if it is exactly the same as the one in DCA, I won't make a point of wanting to go to FL to experience it.

I realize not everyone can go to both resorts and it is cost effective to just duplicate an attraction, but that just makes the resorts seem more corporate and have less individual character that I fell in love with in the first place.

Good post. But you said yourself, the most happening attractions on the East Coast were the clones from CA. And those people in line, those are their primary customers, not your party. Just sayin'.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm just tired of the whining on the NO CLONING side of the fence.

Also, not all Disney theme parks have a "berm".

And not all land outside the public areas of the parks are "backstage" areas. Some indeed are, but there's such a thing as undeveloped land in Florida.

Sorry for the sidebar.

since I am able to visit DLR 2-3 times a year and have only been to WDW 2 times I don't see the problem with cloning attractions.

the way I see it, we only have 1-1/2 to 1-2/3 parks at DLR so there is no way all of the WDW rides could be brought over. there will always be attractions that can't be built at DLR to draw west coast visitors to WDW. I think this will still hold true if a third park is built.

as for drawing east coast visitors to DLR, take a lesson from Soaring. WDW visitors demanded that ride be copyied at WDW. most of the repeat WDW visitors have no interest in coming to the west coast. I think that is a good thing because Disneyland and California Adventure can't handle crowds as large as the parks in WDW. the WDW parks were built on a larger scale than the DLR parks because there is more land available in WDW. you could probably take all of the visitors from DL and CA and put them in the Magic Kingdom and it wouldn't seem as crowded as DL.
    Last edited by gary94080; 07-22-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: left off the "n't" in the last line

• Senior Minion

I just think that these discussions always become very black and white on the boards about these types of things and the reality is that they never are. The question should not be is cloning good or bad. It needs to be looked at in the context of each project and execution to see which are good and bad decisions. When things are shoehorned into locations which they don't belong, or potentially do damage to the drawing power or image of another park, then the decisions have to be made very carefully and the execution done thoughtfully.

I also don't buy that you can use the past as a guide to DLR's future. It will not be the same resort, it is evolving, and the Disney's focus on creating a "Disney lifestyle" will lend itself perfectly to creating "Disney families", many DVC memberships, who will frequent both resorts often, as well as visit the resorts in Hawaii and Washington, and will want even more variety of experiences. I believe part of this strategy will be using and emphasizing DLR's historic nature and Walt's connection. This will be a method of really making DLR a must see for all Disney fans, and I think is a big part of the new strategy for DCA.
    -Walt Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast