View Poll Results: Which Disney resorts have you been to?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disneyland Resort

75 98.68%
  • Walt Disney World Resort

53 69.74%
  • Tokyo Disney Resort

6 7.89%
  • Disneyland Resort Paris

12 15.79%
  • Hong Kong Disneyland Resort

2 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Re: Your Opinion on "CLONING" rides & attractions

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Good post. But you said yourself, the most happening attractions on the East Coast were the clones from CA. And those people in line, those are their primary customers, not your party. Just sayin'.
    They are great attractions, that's why they're popular. I just would like to see some nuances between the resorts. Why not have a slightly different collection of games for Midway Mania at the two resorts? Obviously, if a rumored new film for Soarin' in Epcot were to happen it would change it up as well, while maintaining what everyone loves about the two attractions. These two specifically are very easy to alter as they are projection based attractions and maybe that's what WDI has planned in the future, who knows.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I was originally in favor of bringing Rock n' Roller Coaster to DCA ever since I heard a rumor of it online back in 2003. It was a great ride (IMO of course), and I felt it was a pain to have to go to Florida to go see ride it.

Now I am starting to have a little bit of a problem with the cloning. Soarin' at EPCOT was a great example- why take a film that is California based and bring it all the way to Florida in a Futuristic World of Tomarrow? It doesn't make sense.

Cloning in my opinion is okay up to a certain point. ToT was granted to happen because it's so popular that it seemed like it would fit with California Adventure. The Fantasyland Rides are absolutes because they were classics from the days of Walt Disney, as is Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Pirates because they all originated from Disneyland here in Anaheim, so it was inevitable.

However, when it comes to cloning one-of-a-kind attractions from all over the world, that is where I somewhat draw the line. MISSION: SPACE being cloned for Disneyland (as it has been mentioned dozens of times) doesn't work for Disneyland because that ride was located in a theme park that was aimed at a certain demographic (EPCOT is aimed a little more at an adult audience, and Disneyland is aimed at a family audience, so those two are incompatible). Rock n Roller Coaster- while a great ride (IMO again) wouldn't work for DCA anyway because it was to celebrate the history and culture of California, and that is really celebrating music, so it wouldn't work there.

Cloning can be okay when it is done in a different way. You'll find an Indiana Jones ride at DisneySEA in Tokyo, but it doesn't have the same theming as in Disneyland here, so it works.

My point is that when it comes to cloning, I think it depends on these things:

1. Location of the Disney Park
    2. Themed Area
    3. The Demographic that park is aimed at
    4. Can it be done better than it's predecessor?

• Hello Dolly.

I wouldnt mind as long as they make each ride unique in a way. Like the Tower of Terror in Tokyo is the same ride but has its own story, same thing with pooh. But if I go to WDW, I doubt Ill ride Sorin or TSMM because they are exactly the same besides the lines.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I agree, Soarin' was shoehorned into EPCOT.

And Tokyo and DCA and DHS all have different versions of Tower of Terror.

So you're right, it's not a black and white issue. It's more like an onion with various layers.

The idea of different Midway games in the Midway Mania ride, wouldn't cost anything to do, for example.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    Cloning in my opinion is okay up to a certain point. ToT was granted to happen because it's so popular that it seemed like it would fit with California Adventure. The Fantasyland Rides are absolutes because they were classics from the days of Walt Disney, as is Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Pirates because they all originated from Disneyland here in Anaheim, so it was inevitable.
    The best part of all those attractions is they aren't the same as their counterparts in the other resorts.

The imagineers would take an attraction from one resort and try to make it better at the next. Sometimes it works out better then others, but both U.S. resorts have the better version of some major attractions. Pirates may be better at DL, but Haunted Mansion is better in the Magic Kingdom. I just would like to see that creativity back from the imagineers.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• On Autopilot

I think there's a difference between "cloned" and "staple"

A Staple ride would be like Peter Pan's flight or the Haunted Mansion - these rides can be duplicated yet tweaked just a little to make them still fresh and interesting (Like the Phantom Manor in DLP)

A Clone ride is litterally a copy-paste, the extreme example of this is Soarin'. I know it's a little too much for me to ask, but I think since it was so close to World Showcase in the Epcot park they should have had the gliders go over famous landmarks and not just use the DCA reel.

• TDR and Japan fan

I think i like the cloning with differences bc its fun sometimes comparing what someone has and others dont
    I have been to DLR,WDW,DLP and TDL
    Trips:
    DLR: 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009 may
    WDW: 1993,1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2011
    DLP: 1996, 2002, June 2009
    TDL: July 2008, July 2010
    HKDL: wishing it will be soon

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I think there are a lot more people who go to both DL and WDW then people think, and I think that they need to be more thoughtful about what attractions they clone, especially because they are trying to establish DL as a multi-day resort currently..
    Looking at the poll as is stands now 53 people have voted, of those 53, 52 have been to Disneyland (98.1%) and 39 have been to WDW (73.5%). I've been on another Disney site for a few years, and recently came over to MiceChat because I wanted to have more discussion about Disneyland. The other site mainly focued on WDW. Since this site is mainly a Disneyland site, the poll reflects that. Even from the hard core Disney fans of MiceChat, only 39 of the 53 said they have been to WDW. Now on the other site, the polls are just the opposite ... Many have been to WDW and few to Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    most of the repeat WDW visitors have no interest in coming to the west coast. I think that is a good thing because Disneyland and California Adventure can't handle crowds as large as the parks in WDW.
    That's what I seemed to notice before I came to MiceChat. The number of people going to both should be higher then the average population because the people on these sites are hard core fans. I think just looking at this poll, and others you can see that many don't go to both resorts, and those numbers would be even more uneven for non Disney site people. I think it makes cloning attractions a non-issue.

• HauntedOne999

when you really think about the US parks, the only exact clones are Soarin', Dumbo, Star Tours, and Toy Story Mania. So 4 rides over 6 parks isnt that bad. and then with the development of Soarin' over the World and the new Star Tours films, thats going to cut the list even shorter.

Now many Americans probably will never see the foriegn parks so I have no problem bringing ideas from any of them or vice-versa.

I mean if DL had the Pooh that MK has, we wouldnt complain about how it sucks. Even POTC is different as DL has more scenes, but MK has a better treasure room.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Your Opinion on "CLONING" rides & attractions

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Exactly! I totally agree.

Although, I am sometimes confused as to which park would be considerd "closer" to me.....Orlando is a 5 hour flight but only costs about $175.00 round trip......Anaheim is a 2+ hour flight but costs $240.00 rt.
    Well, at least you can make up the price difference with the hotel bill by staying 10 minutes away on Harbor Blvd.

Anyway, it is a business. The big budget rides are bound to appear in other parks, but not always. As it should probably be.

That said, DCA could use some unique draws, because a really good DCA benefits us all. Guess TLM won't do that, maybe they're just counting on WoC and Carsland which seems unlikely to be duplicated.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Progressive Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I think there are a lot more people who go to both DL and WDW then people think, and I think that they need to be more thoughtful about what attractions they clone, especially because they are trying to establish DL as a multi-day resort currently. To simply say that everyone in the rest of the country always goes to WDW and this will not change is pretty much accepting that the DCA project is a waste of time because DLR will never be a legitimate competitor to WDW.

I also think it would be wise for Disney to listen to the DLR fans who are complaining about clones. There are about 30 million people who can drive to DL and home in one day, about 10% of the US population. Within this population also exists the largest and most dedicated group of followers of Disney parks, because many are lifetime fans and have very personal connections with DL. Amongst the people I grew up with, most went to DL at least once every year or so, and many took at least one family trip to WDW. To ignore this market, of not quite hardcore fans, but definitely fans, who will not only go to DL frequently, but also take a couple of multi-thousand dollar, all on property, WDW vacations in their lifetime, would be a big loss. Many of these people are more than willing to take a WDW vacation if there’s still a reason to go, which they have been slowly removing since 2001. They can get a lot more money out of you by actually drawing you to your non-home resort. To just accept that all west coasters will now just go to DLR would be a big mistake on Disney’s part IMO.
    While we are simply a bunch of fans talking about it, I'm sure the people in Disney who do the planning, crunch the numbers and make decisions about cloning know how many people go to both domestic resorts and the end-result is cloned attractions. I would imagine that that says something about how Disney views the situation.

Original attractions at a resort need to either A) Bring in new people, or B) Cause people to go to the resorts more often than they would because doing one or the other is a zero-gain for Disney. It's just unlikely that there is a large percentage of people who would be doubling their vacation travel so they can go to both Disney resorts every year instead of the one they usually go to just based on unique attractions.

DLR will never be a legitimate competitor to WDW, but why does it need to be? For starters, DLR has a completely different demographic than WDW. Secondly, WDW offers a very different experience simply due to it's massive size. DLR is three hotels, two theme parks and DTD. It simply can't compete on the same level. It doesn't make DL worse; it's just different than WDW and even if the attractions are similar, they are still two very different experiences.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    I was originally in favor of bringing Rock n' Roller Coaster to DCA ever since I heard a rumor of it online back in 2003. It was a great ride (IMO of course), and I felt it was a pain to have to go to Florida to go see ride it.

Now I am starting to have a little bit of a problem with the cloning. Soarin' at EPCOT was a great example- why take a film that is California based and bring it all the way to Florida in a Futuristic World of Tomarrow? It doesn't make sense.

However, when it comes to cloning one-of-a-kind attractions from all over the world, that is where I somewhat draw the line. MISSION: SPACE being cloned for Disneyland (as it has been mentioned dozens of times) doesn't work for Disneyland because that ride was located in a theme park that was aimed at a certain demographic (EPCOT is aimed a little more at an adult audience, and Disneyland is aimed at a family audience, so those two are incompatible). Rock n Roller Coaster- while a great ride (IMO again) wouldn't work for DCA anyway because it was to celebrate the history and culture of California, and that is really celebrating music, so it wouldn't work there.

Cloning can be okay when it is done in a different way. You'll find an Indiana Jones ride at DisneySEA in Tokyo, but it doesn't have the same theming as in Disneyland here, so it works.

My point is that when it comes to cloning, I think it depends on these things:

1. Location of the Disney Park
    2. Themed Area
    3. The Demographic that park is aimed at
    4. Can it be done better than it's predecessor?
    then its not really a clone if its an upgraded version?

• Future Cast Member

I think cloning really compliments a ride, when done right. I hate Tiki Room in Orlando, because of the extra characters and them singing completely different songs, ruining a classic, but usually its cool to see a cloned right, and see how it differs.

• Faerie Godmother

I think the smartest move for Disney to make is to copy over ride concepts and technology, but not necessarily layouts and details. That way, they can get more mileage out of the really expensive parts of attraction design while still giving folks an incentive to travel to different parks.

I don't, however, think they should shoehorn a cloned attraction into a different park any old how just because it was popular where it debuted. Soarin' is a very poor fit for Epcot; they should have used the same flight sim technology but devised an entirely new show. And probably not stuck it in The Land, which is supposed to be about, you know, land. Not sky.

While the idea of cloning rides does turn me off a bit, I have to say that it's not always a bad thing. They brought the Buzz Lightyear ride to Disneyland and it's been great, a really fun ride. And they took Soarin' Over California to WDW and it was their most popular attraction ever! (Though I am peeved that they are changing the movie, I hope at least that they divide it into two lines, one for the original and one for the new one. That would be a good plan because then everyone, especially when it first comes out, would ride one screen and then come back later and ride the other)

And, let us not forget that Walt himself planned to make a virtual clone of Disneyland on the Florida land. He was simply going to make it bigger, but you bet he wanted copies of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Autopia, and all the other major attractions they had at the time for the Florida park.

So, I think cloning rides for other parks shouldn't be a default (aside from classics like Pirates, Mansion, Space/Splash Mountain, BTMR, Small World, etc.) because then the imagineers might get lazy about creating new rides. But, I say, if Walt didn't have a problem with creating clone parks, then we shouldn't have a problem with creating clone rides.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123