View Poll Results: Which Disney resorts have you been to?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disneyland Resort

75 98.68%
  • Walt Disney World Resort

53 69.74%
  • Tokyo Disney Resort

6 7.89%
  • Disneyland Resort Paris

12 15.79%
  • Hong Kong Disneyland Resort

2 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Drink life to the lees.

Your Opinion on "CLONING" rides & attractions

With the news of The Little Mermaid ride possibly coming to Magic Kingdom from DCA, it got me thinking about the practice of copying an attraction to another location.

Personally it doesn't bother me much because even if some attractions have been cloned to another resort, it is still fun to ride them and compare the original to the clone. Most resorts have some form of ToT, Haunted Mansion, Dumbo, IASW, BTMRR, Space Mountain, etc... The average visitor to a Disney resort has only been to that resort.... And not all 5. Some of us MCers have been to all 5, but I have only been to 3.

Please share your opinions on cloning and how many of the resorts you've been to, with a short description of your experience at that resort.

I have been to:
    Disneyland Resort- The most magical.
    Walt Disney World- The most fun.
    Disneyland Resort Paris- The most intriguing.

• Choir nerd

Re: Your Opinion on "CLONING" rides & attractions

Personaly, I don't mind cloning that much. In fact, Disney would be stupid not to. Think about what happened when WDW opened with no POTC. Everyone asked where it was, why isn't it here, or when is it openning, and finally, TDO had to add it. However, I prefer that there is some difference between clones, so at least they are somewhat unique. I also think that each park should have some exclusive attractions, just to keep them unique.

My opinion of Disneyland is that it is the best park/resort of Disney's, especially compared to WDW, since most of WDW (MK at least) are clones of DLR's attractions, and most of DLR's other attractions were cloned from WDW.

• Diamond Edition

Similar to what Noski said, I think a lot of guests who go to Disney parks expect the staple Disney attractions. Furthermore, the average guest sometimes hears by word of mouth or sees something online or on TV about an attraction and they don't necessarily remember where it was. So when they get to whatever park they vacation at, they are dissappointed to find that it isn't there. I once overheard a guest complaining that there wasn't a restaurant at Pirates in WDW. He had heard about Blue Bayou in Disneyland and just assumed there would be one in WDW as well.

I am not against cloning at all. Each park has attractions that won't be duplicated elsewhere for obvious reasons, such as the Matterhorn, California Screamin', The Great Movie Ride, Spaceship Earth, etc... However, there are many attractions that easily fit the theme of other parks, The Little Mermaid being one of those obvious ones. Personally, I'm surprised that it hasn't been announced for Tokyo yet, as it seems an obvious addition to Mermaid Lagoon at Disney Seas.

This mentality seems to primarily exist amongst those who frequent Disneyland more than the other parks. Since I have been to Disney World more, and since Disney World started by cloning and eventually had their original attractions cloned elsewhere, it doesn't seem bothersome to me. Personally, I was ecstatic when it was announced that Tower of Terror would be added to DCA. Furthermore, I was not at all surprised by the announcement that The Little Mermaid would be coming to Magic Kingdom, especially because I had heard about it coming here before it was announced for DCA. So when people started complaining that DCA's new attraction wasn't going to be exclusive, I had to laugh a little.

If you enjoy an attraction at the park you go to most and if that attraction is also found at a Disney park you visit later on, does that mean you won't ride it? I personally ride everything at Disneyland that they have here at Disney World because there are at least slight differences, as I'm sure there will be with Mermaid. At DCA, they have to work within the confines of the pre-existing building. At Magic Kingdom, they have the freedom to build it custom to how they want it. So their should be some differences.

• I'm not really here

I think "cloning" a ride is about the most ridiculous idea Disney has had. Why on Earth would I bother going to another Disney park if the rides are the same? Been there, done that.

Now, using the idea and making the ride different and unique while still being based on the original... that can work.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Addicted to MC since '08

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I think "cloning" a ride is about the most ridiculous idea Disney has had. Why on Earth would I bother going to another Disney park if the rides are the same? Been there, done that.

Now, using the idea and making the ride different and unique while still being based on the original... that can work.
    Put most of the clones have the same theme/idea, but the rides themselves are slightly different. Examples - Splash Mountain DL/WDW; Pirates DL/WDW; Pooh DL/WDW; Thunder Mountain DL/WDW; Space Mountain DL/WDW; and a big list that I don't have the time or patience to write out

I always thought it was fun to compare the ride to other clones from other parks.

• TTA Traveler

I don't mind cloning at all. In fact, there are several rides I WISHED were cloned at other parks, mainly some version of DL's Indy ride at WDW.

I probably like WDW and DL equally, although I live much closer to WDW and have visited it more times than DL.

• Im Monsters Incorporated!

i dont mind cloned rides, and all of the cloned rides at WDW are different from the rides at disneyland

• "I Break Things"

I wouldn't feel it is an issue if "cloned" were considered unique... and not just "other parks ride upgraded/downgraded". For example there are multiple scenes in the WDW Jungle Cruise that are not in the Disneyland portion. It wasn't until recently that DL's JC had some major additions... and personally I don't think they went far enough. I would have preferred each Jungle have it's own unique scenes... not just scenes added or cut.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    But most of the clones have the same theme/idea, but the rides themselves are slightly different. Examples - Splash Mountain DL/WDW; Pirates DL/WDW; Pooh DL/WDW; Thunder Mountain DL/WDW; Space Mountain DL/WDW; and a big list that I don't have the time or patience to write out
    I didn't say they didn't. I just stated that if they want to take a ride from one park and put it in another, they should make changes so that they aren't the same experience. Add scenes, delete others, alter something. Make it different so that I don't visit WDW and feel like I'm at DLR. As long as they are doing that, I'm ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I wouldn't feel it is an issue if "cloned" were considered unique... and not just "other parks ride upgraded/downgraded". For example there are multiple scenes in the WDW Jungle Cruise that are not in the Disneyland portion. It wasn't until recently that DL's JC had some major additions... and personally I don't think they went far enough. I would have preferred each Jungle have it's own unique scenes... not just scenes added or cut.
    Exactly!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Member; Mousketeer

Uniquie attractions equals unique parks.

Otherwise there would be no incentive to
    visit the other resort properties stateside
    and abroad.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm not sure why some people are so against cloning of rides. The parks are geographically, extremely far apart. Not all of us have the luxury of traveling across the globe to experience all of the different offerings so I'm 100% for cloning., Now that doesn't mean I'm against new ideas either, in fact I welcome them even moreso.

• Faith Trust & Pixie Dust!

I have been to Disneyland, WDW, and Disneyland Paris and thought they were each unique in their own way and yes there were similar attractions at each park, but just they way they were set up or the area they were in made them feel different. I didn't have the feeling of "been there done that" on Peter Pan in any of the parks. They are each a little different, imo.
    I think the idea of having similar attractions at each park is a good idea. Living in Washington I'm more likely to visit Disneyland than any other Disney park. But having been to others I miss the attractions that are there (i.e. Rock n'Roller Coaster, Great Movie Ride, Philarmagic, Stained Glass Windows...) I think it is a good idea to have copies of the attractions so more people can enjoy them.
    I miss Disney World...
    Check out my Disney Cruise Trip Report...lots of photos being added: http://micechat.com/forums/disney-cr...ey-wonder.html

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by sassy*tink View Post
    I think the idea of having similar attractions at each park is a good idea.
    Similar vs Clone is the point I've been making. Similar is good... clone is bad.

If you clone the rides at all the parks... essentially, the parks become the same and then there really is no reason for anyone to visit other parks. Bad for business. It's cheap, so it looks like a great money saving idea, but in the long run, it's bad.

However, if you make similar rides, but with noticeable differences, then you have different experiences. You have a Pooh ride at TDS that is miles above any other so I now have a reason to want to go to TDS and ride it. You still save money over developing a completely new attraction because a lot of work has already been done, but you don't end up hurting your long term attraction to new visitors.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I also agree that certain attractions are just part of the Disney parks ... Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, POTC and a few others you would expect to be at every park. Then there are the next generation attractions that can be slightly altered for each park depending on space, location, culture. I think it is nice for each resort to have some unique attractions, but even if every attraction is the same, each park is unique in itself, and I will still want to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    The Jungle Cruise is one of those attractions that can be adapted for each park. I think it is great that each park may have scenes that other's don't. Seeing HKDL Jungle Crusie was one of the things I really enjoyed in how they adapted the attraction to the local culture.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I'm not sure why some people are so against cloning of rides. The parks are geographically, extremely far apart. Not all of us have the luxury of traveling across the globe to experience all of the different offerings so I'm 100% for cloning., Now that doesn't mean I'm against new ideas either, in fact I welcome them even moreso.
    I agree, many don't travel much inside the states, so outside even less see the cloning. Before I moved to CA I used to always alternate trips between Disneyland and WDW. Now that my wife travels to China for business and her family lives there I have opportunity to visit China more than I probably would have before. If the Shanghai park becomes a reality it will be even easier to visit than the Hong Kong park, because I wouldn't have the issues of going between Hong Kong and the Mainland just to visit Disney. I still look forward to going to both the Tokyo and Paris resorts no matter what similar attractions exist there.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post

Why on Earth would they open a supermarket in Idaho, when we have one in California? Oh, because the one in California is geared towards people in California and the one in Idaho is geared towards shoppers there.

Only a fraction of the die hard Disney fans invest in visiting all the other parks in the world, and it's not practical to do so unless you work for an airline or have unlimited resources and want to direct them all to Mickey Mouse.

Get over it. The costs are so high to develop new attractions, that the company gets more return on the investment by offering those attractions at all of their locations.

Make some subtle changes, but when most major costs are shared, the cost goes down for all the parks, and they can spend the money they save on MORE rides down the road.

There should be a few special, unique attractions reserved for each park, but major new attractions are going to be shared.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast