Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

• AKA: Indyiluvu

DCA Phase Two Discussion

So reading the World of color interview on D23, I saw something interesting. D23 | The Official Community for Disney Fans

"Q: When do you think this will all be completed?
    Bob: We always default to the great Walt quote that, "Disneyland will never be finished as long as there is imagination in the world." We actually have phases of Disney's California Adventure that we are working on that come beyond what we've announced. So this park, just like Disneyland or any of the other parks, will continue to develop over time as the audience builds and evolves. So I'm not sure that it ever ends — thankfully for us! "

Notice he said PhaseS, not just another phase. So does this mean they might be planning beyond even phase 2?

On the note of Phase 2, what are all the projects that have been rumoured/announced?

Hollywoodland - Removing fake building facades, upgrading hyperion exterior, new attraction for hollywood pictures backlot, etc..

Condor Flats- Extending the forest/national park theme through this area

Grizzly Peak - Either a new train ride, or adding AA Animals to the rapids ride.

Anything else I forgot?
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Addicted to MC since '08

Re: DCA Phase Two Discussion

I think there was talk about going back and finishing Paradise Pier, such as the CS queue, roof on carousel, Fun Wheel queue, Maliboomer removal.

Some of these may be completed in Phase 1, such as the roof over the carousel, but I'm sure they'd be in Phase 2 if not in Phase 1.

• I'm not really here

Nothing has actually been announced as Phase 2 yet. Not formally... it's all rumor and speculation at this point. Some things have been mentioned as "put off till phase 2" in Al Lutz articles, but even this doesn't really mean anything. They could be put off indefinitely.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    I think there was talk about going back and finishing Paradise Pier, such as the CS queue, roof on carousel, Fun Wheel queue, Maliboomer removal.

Some of these may be completed in Phase 1, such as the roof over the carousel, but I'm sure they'd be in Phase 2 if not in Phase 1.
    Thanks, knew I was forgetting something. How could I forget after all that discussion of the fun wheel que, haha.

I hope that Hollywoodland does happen in phase 2 as I think that is the area that needs the most work at the moment, especially the Hyperion. Although from the concept art, the extended grizzly peak area into condor flats does look amazing. And they would need to get rid of the desert area once cars land opens. Don't know which I'm more excited for.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Member; Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by indyIluvu View Post
    And they would need to get rid of the desert area once cars land opens.
    I agree.

This would be a nice extention of the Teddy Rosevelt
    national park theme.

And it doesn't make sense to have two desert themed
    lands. Especially a small one just how Condor Flats is.

Also speaking of the desert, are they keeping the Route66 area themed that way? Since Dinosaur jack is now gone, and I heard rumors that Souveneir66 would be either moved to cars land or rethemed as something else. I heard the area where the dinosaur was will now be an extended que area for MM/GSS. It would make sense to me to also remove the 66 desert area as well. Especially once TLM opens. Also cars land will probably tie into route 66.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Senior Minion

Also speaking of the desert, are they keeping the Route66 area themed that way? Since Dinosaur jack is now gone, and I heard rumors that Souveneir66 would be either moved to cars land or rethemed as something else. I heard the area where the dinosaur was will now be an extended que area for MM/GSS. It would make sense to me to also remove the 66 desert area as well. Especially once TLM opens. Also cars land will probably tie into route 66.
    All of the current Route 66 area will be gone before TLM opens.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    All of the current Route 66 area will be gone before TLM opens.
    Good to know. Thanks

Back to phase 2, if condor flats is rethemed, along with the national park retheme, I hope they remove the big cartoony grizzly bear in front of the Grizzly Rapids ride. They could replace it with a more realistic bear statue or something else.

Also anyone hear anything about placing a new ride in the current brother bear challenge trail area?
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Senior Minion

Good to know. Thanks

Back to phase 2, if condor flats is rethemed, along with the national park retheme, I hope they remove the big cartoony grizzly bear in front of the Grizzly Rapids ride. They could replace it with a more realistic bear statue or something else.

Also anyone hear anything about placing a new ride in the current brother bear challenge trail area?
    I agree the bear needs to go. I believe there are several options they are looking at to add another couple of big rides and I think the BBCT is one of the areas being considered.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Member; Mousketeer

There have been various ideas and concepts
    as what to add around Grizzly Peak.

From an incarnations of both Mine Train through
    Nature's Wonderland and the Country Bear Jamboree.

To hiking trails around the mountain and walking passages through
    the peak itself.

• A Weather Eye Open

Good to know. Thanks

That's interesting that you say that. To me, that bear looks slightly familiar; it looks like the chainsaw carvings that I see all over my area! It's texture is designed to look that way. There was one in a restaurant I loved as a kid that I used to climb on, and there are 4 bears outside a friend's house in my hometown, and there is a local hotel with a beautiful garden in front that has a whole bunch of chainsaw carved animals statues. I don't know if this is a Northern California thing?

The only thing that makes that giant bear kind of different from the statues I see all the time is that he's painted in different colors and wearing a life vest and such. Usually the wood is left bare on those (course he's not actually made of wood, but he could be painted all-over brown to resemble it), and they are slightly more realistic. Not cartoony in the face or anything. But he's close enough to them that he looks familiar and I don't mind the cartoony stuff.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    That's interesting that you say that. To me, that bear looks slightly familiar; it looks like the chainsaw carvings that I see all over my area! It's texture is designed to look that way. There was one in a restaurant I loved as a kid that I used to climb on, and there are 4 bears outside a friend's house in my hometown, and there is a local hotel with a beautiful garden in front that has a whole bunch of chainsaw carved animals statues. I don't know if this is a Northern California thing?

The only thing that makes that giant bear kind of different from the statues I see all the time is that he's painted in different colors and wearing a life vest and such. Usually the wood is left bare on those (course he's not actually made of wood, but he could be painted all-over brown to resemble it), and they are slightly more realistic. Not cartoony in the face or anything. But he's close enough to them that he looks familiar and I don't mind the cartoony stuff.
    It's not the wooden appearance that makes the statue look cartoony, it's the life jacket etc. He's a bear, he doesn't need accessories.

It was Disney's way of being "modern" and "hip", and IMO, it just looks tacky. Just like the spiel for the attraction (IMO).

The majority of that area is nicely themed. Realistic, pure nature. But then you throw in a neon orange life vest and all of these other contemporary elements and it clashes with the "natural" beauty of the area.

Stylistically, IMO, if they stick to a more nostalgic view (and this goes in reference towards everything that needs fixing with DCA), then it will all look a lot nicer. Nostalgia never becomes outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    It's not the wooden appearance that makes the statue look cartoony, it's the life jacket etc. He's a bear, he doesn't need accessories.

It was Disney's way of being "modern" and "hip", and IMO, it just looks tacky. Just like the spiel for the attraction (IMO).

The majority of that area is nicely themed. Realistic, pure nature. But then you throw in a neon orange life vest and all of these other contemporary elements and it clashes with the "natural" beauty of the area.

Stylistically, IMO, if they stick to a more nostalgic view (and this goes in reference towards everything that needs fixing with DCA), then it will all look a lot nicer. Nostalgia never becomes outdated.
    Exactly. I feel the same way about the bear that I did about Dinosaur Jack. I could see what the imagineers were going for, but it dosen't work as good in practice. More realistic the better in my opinion. Replace it with a carving of a real bear not wearing human clothes.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Exactly. I feel the same way about the bear that I did about Dinosaur Jack. I could see what the imagineers were going for, but it dosen't work as good in practice. More realistic the better in my opinion. Replace it with a carving of a real bear not wearing human clothes.
    But wouldn't this sort of clash with the realistic bear that's already undeniably there (hint, the mountain itself).
    Last edited by Goover; 07-22-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Spelling error.

• Senior Minion

I agree that is what they were going for Twoblue, and as others said, it still seems to miss the mark. That and I'm hoping the new version will be set in a time period before chain saws anyways.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast