Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Christmas time at Disneyland (Merged Threads)

My family and I are going to DL Christmas week. (December 21-26)
    my question is how is the weather usually around that time and how are the crowds?
    Is it really busy the whol Christmas week and then worse on Christmas day?

Any news will help at this point

Re: Christmas time at Disneyland

Last year it got really cold (really cold for so cal) at night. I remember it getting to the high 20's at night a couple of times. During the day it was nice. Maybe just a light jacket needed for the day. Crowds during that time are a complete nightmare.

• no flash photography...

I agree, crowds are a nightmare. The whether will be chilly at night...I seem to recall have a jacket during the day too.

go on the 26th would be your best shot. On Christmas, it shouldn't be too busy.
    Also, some of the AP's expire during that week. You should be good.

Oh how I love smiles!

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

I say the last few weeks of the month are the best, since both the SoCal and Select are blocked.

I would avoid christmas day and the days leading up to new years eve/day, however.

EDIT: oops, forgot about the fixed date in the original post. Well, this is my general advice for the month of December. You should be good though.

Thanks for all the reply's....I am getting mixed answers though some say it really isnt that busy might not be that busy due to the ecomomy....
    Then I hear that is is the busiest day of the whole year.....I am just asking because this is the kids christmas gift...being in DL for 6 days I just dont want all 6 days to be really bad!

Hi

I have just read the above - I was told it was quite the first couple of weeks in December so i have booked my 4th trip for then, what are the crowds like at this time? We are EXTREMELY excited to see all the Christmas stuff! We usually go the last 2 weeks of Jan

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by Little Hoot View Post
    Hi

I have just read the above - I was told it was quite the first couple of weeks in December so i have booked my 4th trip for then, what are the crowds like at this time? We are EXTREMELY excited to see all the Christmas stuff! We usually go the last 2 weeks of Jan
    You should be ok for early December, before schools go on winter break.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Welcome to MiceChat mrs marisa! The weather in So Cal can vary from week to week. We've had December days in the 80's and then we've had them in the 40-50's. Your best bet is to just watch one of the weather channels as your trip gets closer to know what to bring. Last year, it was pretty cold around that time for us.

As far as crowds, that too varies. The week of Christmas is historically the busiest week of the year. In years past, the park has had to stop entry towards afternoon when the park reached it's limit. But, this didn't happen last year, and most likely will not happen this year since things don't seem to be quite as busy as normal (from what I've read here and the last couple of times I've been). And although, I've never been Christmas day, from what I've read here over the years, Christmas morning is pretty empty and the crowds don't get bad until later in the afternoon.

In other words, I'm probably not much help, and it could go either way on crowds and weather

Thank you so much for the reply. It came in very helpful and Thank You for telling me about the crowds I have been fairly worried about the crowds but since we are very close to the park it seem's everything is managable!!!!

One more question I do have agan not really sure if at this point in time it can be answered is.......in past year's around christmas time how are the park hopper ticket prices?

• no flash photography...

We went on 12/27 one year and it was horrible. We did not see the ground all day. It took us 45 minutes to walk from POTC to IASW and it has a 4 hour wait. We were either in lines or fighting people from opening to close and got on 4 rides. It was unreal and the worst crowds I have ever dealt with anywhere. We were told Christmas day was even busier.

This was about 14 years ago though. I will not go back anytime around christmas.

As for the economy....I have not noticed it having an efffect on DL yet. When we go it's usually still pretty busy.

• Queen Elsa

Me and my family have always gone on Christmas Day send 2003 and at first the crowds aren't that bad but after 1pm that is when it gets pack. Now when it was the 50th Annivers for Disneyland it was pack all day. The weather last year was cold I had to wear two shirts and a jacket last year. So it got cold.

Remember that Deluxe APs are blocked the last week or so of the year too, like SoCals and Selects, just not as many days as those other two. Deluxe blockout dates this year are Dec 24th through Jan 2 (a Saturday). It'll still be extremely busy because of all the Christmas vacationers (local or not) in the parks. But it tends to be a good crowd compared to other times of the year. If you take things in stride and not treat it as a see-and-do-everything trip it can be a lot of fun. After all, it is Christmas in the "Happiest Place on Earth"
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs marisa View Post
    One more question I do have agan not really sure if at this point in time it can be answered is.......in past year's around christmas time how are the park hopper ticket prices?
    Ticket prices are the same for every day of the year, annual price hikes aside.

• Returning to DL 2/29

Well it really depends on the crowds. I went New Years Eve ONE of the best times I have ever been to Disneyland. Just plan your day accordingly. Use the Fastpass system and plan to eat during non peak hours. Make reservations ahead of time in case you want to eat in the Blue Bayou. Also bring coats jackets and gloves California can get chili in the Winter time. New Years eve night was cold 38 degrees with Fog but bring t shirts because weather can turn warm at any moment. Avoid rides at night if you want to catch Fantasmic or Believe in Holiday Magic after those are done hit some rides.
    I'm back and now what!

followme on Twiiter @hurricanefreak

• Laughing Last..

We always make our annual Christmas trip to the parks within the first two weeks of December. The weather is usually very nice, cool but not too cool. We do have to bring jackets or sweatshirts depending on the forecast. Definitely leave the water rides (Splash, Grizzley) for another day in the summer. Crowds are usually not too bad.
    LOS ANGELES
    ANGELS
    OF ANAHEIM
    WHAT A STUPID NAME

CALIFORNIA ANGELS FOREVER

Baseball is our religion
    The stadium our cathedral
    Beer and peanuts our sacrament

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast