Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: Dlr/dca important questions

Quote Originally Posted by firebolt413 View Post
    Good advice Bruce!
    I'm going to put the rest of the quote in Bold.

And how old do you have to be to go to DLR alone?

12 is the limit, but I wouldn't necessarily let a kid wander off by themselves that young. (Unless they are commonly described as "12 going on 35".) If the youth had an older brother or sister or a trusted older friend that went along, than that's better...

And does an AP get you in at BOTH parks?

Yes - Before they opened DCA they tried separate AP's for DL and DCA, and a combined pass for both. They sold a small percentage of two-park passes for a little bit more money, mostly to the die-hards who wanted to at least give the place a chance.

Of the passholders who renewed their AP's and stayed with a single-park option, the overwhelming majority stayed with Disneyland alone and almost none for DCA alone. That experiment ended fast - they wanted to have someone going to DCA....

So they quickly went to all Two Park AP's, and have stayed with it.

And what kind of discounts do they give?

Go look at the Annual Passports section of the Disneyland website, they are all spelled out.

Note that some of the restaurants in the area give discounts for other group memberships you may have (like a AAA Auto Club card) so you have to think to ask. Look for little signs or stickers by the door, or by the cash register.

Or they give discounts to Disney Cast Members that they don't normally give to AP holders - and I've been confused for one when wearing one of the red "Guest Of Honor" name badges they used to sell.

(You try saying something once, and when it's clear You Are Getting that discount and they aren't going to take No for an answer... You just say Thank You and shut up. )

Or I've been lumped in when we went off-site for lunch with one or two CM's in our party that were well known by the restaurant staff - they just gave the CM Discount to everyone in the party. Even when they split the check three or four ways to keep it manageable.

AND... is there anything else about an AP that you could please tell me?

DO NOT wave your AP around like a Badge Of Honor - Some CM's actually have attitudes ranging from open disdain to downright contempt for AP's, especially the ones who demand special treatment. And heaven forbid you try the "I pay your salary - I'll Have Your Badge!" type talk, that really doesn't go over well.

You are still a Guest in Walt's Park, always remember to act like one.

DO NOT try giving your AP to someone else to get in for the day. They do look and compare the appearance of the person at the gate to the picture in the computer (and it comes up much larger and in better detail than the one on the card) and they will check the holder's ID if there are any questions.

Say goodbye to your pass at a minimum, and they might press charges against the person trying to get in fraudulently.

Try noit to lose your pass. They will replace a lost card once a year for free, after that they can and usually will charge.

(Worn out cards are no problem, because you are turning in the illegible one. If they have to play with it to get it to scan at the gate, go get yourself a fresh one. Stolen cards, bring in a copy of the police report.)

AND... How long does it take to get your AP?

Same day - You can buy it in the regular line at the Ticket Booths and they give you a ticket-media style voucher and that's it. Present your parking stub and if your new pass includes parking they'll refund it.

Once you are inside the park you have to go to the AP Processing Center to give them all the address and contact particulars, sign the agreements on conduct and such, and have your picture taken, then wait a minute or two for the card printer to churn out your New AP.

If the line at the APPC is out the door and halfway around the block, go ride a ride or two and come back later. The crowd runs in fits and starts.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

I am going to be going multiple times since I am going to be in LA for at least a month first. Anyone want to go?
    My hand is up! Swing on by Sonoma County before you head down to L.A.
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• Mouse at work

TANK YOU SOOO MUCH BRUCE! And what is Sonoma County, Stinker Bell? And one more question Bruce: Can you bring a guest on your AP?
    "Ian, in life, whatever you do, DO NOT give up your dreams and goals of the past, present, and future and only then will you be successful!" - Walter Elias Disney

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

TANK YOU SOOO MUCH BRUCE! And what is Sonoma County, Stinker Bell? And one more question Bruce: Can you bring a guest on your AP?
    Sonoma County is in Northern California, about 40 miles from San Francisco, Ca.
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• Sock Puppet

New York (3,000 miles away from the magic)

Since I am going to be in LA for at least one month, I am going to be going to DLR as many times as possible! I have been there only 3 times my whole life, so I was wondering, what really cool things there are to do?
    I would go on everything. MAke sure to go on Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Midway Mania, BTMRR, Matterhorn, Tower of Terror, GRR, and Soarin' are just a few you should go on at least 3 times!

And one more question Bruce: Can you bring a guest on your AP?
    No, it's just for you, hence the picture and the name on the pass. But you could consider it a deep discount on the ticket you have for the other person visiting with you, because you get in essentially 'for free'.

(The more you go the cheaper it gets, if you divide the AP Price by the number of visits you get in through that year. Or just figure you paid for the first six visits, and the rest are free. Lots of ways to look at it.)

If they are running any discount deals on tickets, take advantage of them. "The 2Fer" which is two one-day one park tickets for a discount, usually offered to Southern California residents with proper ID in the spring. Or the "Play 4 Days" pass they sell through Costco Wholesale, or the ticket deals you can get through your AAA Auto Club travel agency.

And there are the 'Length Of Stay' ticketing offers available through the local hotels - the longer the visit the deeper the discounts, after a week it gets down to something like $8 a day to add one more day. (If only it was that cheap to add another room night at the hotel...)

Do your homework. Watch out for restrictions - Some multiple day tickets never expire, so they can use the second day in a year or two.

HINT: Those old Disneyland Admission Tickets and A through E Tickets or Magic Key Coupons your parents stashed away as souvenirs from the 1950's through 80's still have cash value. Complete ticket books with the admission stub can be sold on eBay for serious bucks, but if you have incomplete books you can cash them in at Disneyland to buy new tickets.

(The fun trick will be finding an old-timer at the Ticket Booths that remembers how to do it - I'll bet it doesn't happen that often anymore.)

Some multiple-day tickets have a 90-day or 45 day from FIRST USE expiration - If your first visit is July 1 with a 90-day expiration, you have to use the other two or three days by October 1 or they go "Poof!"

--<< Bruce >>--

• A Weather Eye Open

I am looking to get a premium AP. Good Idea?
    Good idea only if you would otherwise be buying a 1-day Parkhopper 5 separate times. A Premium pass costs nigh on 400 dollars. I would recommend buying it all at once with cash or debit as well, because if you're only going to be here for a month or two, you don't want to be making monthly payments on a pass you can no longer use! That would be depressing.
    If you go for the Premium or Deluxe, I definitely recommend going to Costco and buying the Deluxe pass voucher there that comes with the $50 Disney gift card. If you decide to go Premium, you can use the 50 to upgrade and get 50 off.

If you're going to be here for a month, I'm actually wondering if the AP is right for you. Are you going to have your own car for transport from LA? Are you going to be here in the Summer, or Fall? If Summer, I would recommend getting a 2 or 3 3-day Summer Fun Passes, as they're only $99 each, and wouldn't come with the blockout days that the 3 lower APs can have that can be so frustrating. If in the Fall, maybe look and see how much a multi-day parkhopper would cost? 6 or 8 days in Disneyland is quite a lot to fit into 1 month, especially if you're not coughing up the dough for a hotel that is actually at the resort (and driving from LA). I personally live a few minutes from the parks and go as often as I can, which is maybe 2 or 3 days a month if I'm lucky! Since you only have a month, I wouldn't want you to spend a 2 or 3 hundred on an AP and be blocked out on the best days for you to go.

I say the best way to ensure you get to do everything you want is just to do a little research! Read a guide or book or two, read about each restaurant online, and memorize the maps and fast pass system. then you'll be able to do what you want every day you come! and research your ticket media options to find how you can save the most money, based on how many actual days you are going to spend at the park while you're here.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Mouse at work

Thanks Twobluestripes! But when do parkhoppers expire?
    "Ian, in life, whatever you do, DO NOT give up your dreams and goals of the past, present, and future and only then will you be successful!" - Walter Elias Disney

• DLR Cast Member

There is also an AP discount at the Celebration Roundup/Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue - 15% for Premium AP, I'm guessing 10% for other APs.

Oh! SO Many Things! I'll probably be adding a few posts to this... but one thing that you MUST get..... A Turkey Leg!

They sell them on Main Street and in Frontierland. They are AMAAAAZING! Slow cooked for over 4 hours in a smoker, they are huge, they must come from some gigantic mutant turkeys, and they are the most delicious things ever.

They can be a little messy, I usually use the bag they come in to protect my hand while holding it, and definitely get yourself some napkins and some water too probably. They are a monster and are really great to munch on while walking around the park. I usually get mine and eat some of it while going to a ride, then I put it back in the bag and go on the ride and save it for later. Sometimes I'll get hungry and have forgotten about it and go... "oh yea! Turkey Leg!" and I can satisfy my hunger and make it last all day. And when I am eating it, I always get looks and people asking what it is and where they can get one.

You simply MUST try one.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

Also.. DEFINITELY check the Disneyland calendar on the website a few days before you plan to go. This will tell you not only the hours for each park, but what, if any, major attractions are scheduled to be closed. Often times rides are shut down for a week or two for repairs, so it's always good to check because sometimes you'll plan to go one day, but look online and see that one or two of your favorite things won't be open that day. But then often if you click ahead a few days you'll find that it's scheduled to be open again, and of course then you can choose to go when it's open rather than when it's closed.

A good thing to always remember before going, otherwise you will head over there and end up disappointed when you find that Space Mountain or Indy or Matterhorn or something isn't open that day. :-(
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Mouse at work

hmmmm.... I N T E R E S T I N G . . . ANYWHING ELSE? I want as much info from all of you guys as possible because i WANT TO GET MY INFO FROM TRUE DISNEY FANS LIKE MYSELF RATEHR THAN SOME STUPID BOOKS.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

hmmmm.... I N T E R E S T I N G . . . ANYWHING ELSE? I want as much info from all of you guys as possible because i WANT TO GET MY INFO FROM TRUE DISNEY FANS LIKE MYSELF RATEHR THAN SOME STUPID BOOKS.
    HUH??? I have provided content to many Disney related books, and the news media on a regular basis.... and I think most folks would call me a true Disney Fan and Historian.

Books are NOT stupid......

Kevin Yee here at MiceAge/MiceChat has written many well known books dealing with Disney. He is a former CM and knows the company better than most folks.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Mouse at work

What is Kevin Yee's username on micechat? And does Lou Mongello have a micechat?

What is Kevin Yee's username on micechat? And does Lou Mongello have a micechat?
    Try KevinYee - and he's been doing weekly MiceAge columns for quite a while. No idea on the other person.

--<< Bruce >>--

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast