Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• The Dudester

Re: Has there been an original E Ticket attraction at DL since 1969?

Just to satiate my own curiosity:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    No as I stated in my post Indy does not qualify I think you will agree it is not a ride on par with Pirates or Mansion, its too short, too fast, there are no songs you cant get out of your head, its not full of talking moving AA figures and it is restricted no one under a certain height can ride it and its to rough and fast for some elderly and disabled people so no Indy does not qualify as a Pirates or Mansion level attraction. Not to mention it is not original, Pirates and Mansion are not based on any particular movie they may have had some inspirations yes but not movie tie ins like Indy.
    Songs = E-Ticket. Okay, that makes like 2 in the park then, Pirates and Mansion. Don't even kid me about Small World. Your criteria are so specific, it is a bit ridiculous.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Quote Originally Posted by LLCMC View Post
    Just to satiate my own curiosity:

you didnt read the full post

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Songs = E-Ticket. Okay, that makes like 2 in the park then, Pirates and Mansion. Don't even kid me about Small World. Your criteria are so specific, it is a bit ridiculous.
    No its not rediculous I will repeat. I think most will agree that at the end of his life Walt's Pirates and Mansion were the pinacle of attractions, my criteria is to designed to apply to rides such as these two ONLY, the point being that in all likelyhood if Walt had lived longer there most likely would have been attractions as great if not greater than these two, and one would think that the Disney co could come with something akin to these two attractions seeing how they are considered by most if not all the ultimate Disney attractions the point is they havent even come close...............

I see your point. Don't get me wrong, I love HM and POTC, but I've never heard anyone say "when I'm tired I like to go on Indy to take a nap,"

I HAVE heard that about POTC. POTC is GREAT at what it does. If you're looking for immersion into a fantasy world, that's your place. But to call them the "greatest creations" as the OP did, that is purely a RELATIVE phrase. To some people POTC and HM are the jewel of Disneyland... you bet. But others others enjoy Indy and Space Mountain just as much, and many love them much more. Disneyland has created quite a portfolio of rides and attractions, to be sure. POTC and HM are certainly second to none at what they are intended to do. I enjoy both rides immensely. They are part of a great balance at Disneyland. But many great attractions have been created since that don't follow your parameters. That doesn't make them any less great. That just means they don't follow your arbitrary set of rules.
    ok lets mentally remove Pirates and mansion from DL and see what we have ......

• Banned User

Ugh, this thread is pointless then. All we are doing is bickering over your criteria for an E-Ticket which apply to 2 attractions in the entire Disney Parks arsenal. I don't understand, we are complaining about what?

EDIT: Found a better name for the thread: "Has there been a Pirates/Haunted Mansion style ride in DL since 1969?"

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    This is an interesting set of criteria. Especially when you consider Walt never saw Pirates...

The term "E" Ticket was in reference to the ticket price to ride the attraction. Over time it became synonymous with high speed high thrill attractions. Recently it's morphed yet again (per Tony Baxter's interview Nemo is somehow an "E" Ticket).

If we are basing this on what Disney believes is an original "E" Ticket then the last major one was Rocket Rods... which failed miserably. Prior to that it was Big Thunder Mountain which opened in 1979. Again this is in specific reference to "original E Ticket"... Indy and Star Tours are both based on movie franchises.

Getting back to the topic of the thread. I believe that Space was the first one to have a height based restriction... Matterhorn was based on age (over 3)... so even "back then" there may have been an "E" Ticket that was height based. HM and Pirates IMHO are more of the "D" Ticket variety (which supposedly was what Nemo was built to be, and TLM is slated to be... Tony I'm confused here...) "Solid "D" Tickets were designed to provide entertainment for the whole family. Under that criteria CBJ opened in 1971 and was a 16 minute time.
    I guess I either should have said "ultimate E-Ticket rides" or best of or rather not have mentioned E-ticket at all but in the title you need something short and catchy. I mean to say attractions that are the ultimate in the Disney experience, attractions for all ages that have been beloved for generations or have the potential to be... attractions that not just any theme park can make like a roller coaster. Attractions that transport you do a different world and you are immersed in it for that 10 or so minutes, that leave you with such and impression it affects your very life and makes you want to go again and again, attractions with original songs you just cant ever get out of your head, attractions that generate a huge multi-generational fan base that goes so far as to create websites in honor of them who try to recreate the experience of the attraction in their own home that lead to the making of movies some 30 - 40 yrs later.... thats what I meant. But that wont fit in a one sentence title. ;-)

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    ó Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." óWalt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." óWalt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." óWalt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." óWalt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." óWalt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense ó has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." óWalt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

I think your restrictions are a bit... overly specific?
    Agreed.

Agreed again

No its not rediculous I will repeat. I think most will agree that at the end of his life Walt's Pirates and Mansion were the pinacle of attractions, my criteria is to designed to apply to rides such as these two ONLY, the point being that in all likelyhood if Walt had lived longer there most likely would have been attractions as great if not greater than these two, and one would think that the Disney co could come with something akin to these two attractions seeing how they are considered by most if not all the ultimate Disney attractions the point is they havent even come close...............
    Then the thread is pointless because your trying to get everybody to conform to what "your" idea of an e-ticket is and against even the "Disney" definition of an E-ticket.

In all actuality, even though YOU are are saying there have been no "true" E-tickets since Pirates/Mansion, there have indeed been many.

And if you look beyond Disneyland you have MANY more

Not to even included JTTCOTE at DisneySea as well as many other attractions.

Walt Disney didn't create Pirates or Ghosts, so to say those attractions weren't based off of previous things is also not accurate.

Ugh, this thread is pointless then. All we are doing is bickering over your criteria for an E-Ticket which apply to 2 attractions in the entire Disney Parks arsenal. I don't understand, we are complaining about what?

EDIT: Found a better name for the thread: "Has there been a Pirates/Haunted Mansion style ride in DL since 1969?"
    Well I did say "Original" in the title and then in the body of the thread I explained what I meant by original. If i had used your title then people would have again been confused and thought it pointless since obviously there have been more pirates or mansion like rides, not realizing I mean an all new original pirates and mansion LIKE attraction, say maybe one for tomorrowland where you travel to other planets and encounter alien life but on the same scale as Pirates just as an example....and be able to allow everyone to ride it with no restrictions which is what I think is an important part of what makes Pirates and Mansion so great is that the whole family from 9 months to 99 can ride and love it. (ok some get scared but it still leaves an impression), the closest they ever came to this I think was Horizons, but it just didnt have the same immersion that really gets under your skin like pirates and mansion.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    ó Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." óWalt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." óWalt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." óWalt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." óWalt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." óWalt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense ó has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." óWalt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Agreed.

Agreed again

Then the thread is pointless because your trying to get everybody to conform to what "your" idea of an e-ticket is and against even the "Disney" definition of an E-ticket.

In all actuality, even though YOU are are saying there have been no "true" E-tickets since Pirates/Mansion, there have indeed been many.

And if you look beyond Disneyland you have MANY more

Not to even included JTTCOTE at DisneySea as well as many other attractions.

Walt Disney didn't create Pirates or Ghosts, so to say those attractions weren't based off of previous things is also not accurate.
    Im sorry but you missed the point at no time have I said I am trying to redefine e- ticket thats not the point.

And your history is wrong about Walt Disney and pirates and mansion. Maybe you should look into this there are many documentaries and videos clearly showing him overseeing these two attractions both took years to complete and just because they finally opened after his death doesnt not mean he was not involved with their creation, ask any of the original surviving imagineers and they will tell you that the attractions were Walt's idea and he worked closely with their development up to the very end especially pirates. I happen to personally know Bob Gurr and he concurs 100%.

ó Walt Disney

• The Dudester

you didnt read the full post
    I sure did read the full post. As I stated in an earlier comment I was simply curious as to what constituted an E-Ticket attraction. I did a few second of research, and posted what I came up with.... as I said, simply to satiate my own curiosity.

• The Dudester

ok lets mentally remove Pirates and mansion from DL and see what we have ......
    We have... a pretty damn good park? LOL, I'm confused. I don't want those rides to go away, but if we never knew they existed I imagine it is still a better theme park than most.

• =)

I agree that it's very unfortunate that nothing has really been attempted in the tradition of Pirates and HM for the last 40 years. I strongly disagree with your premise that this style of attraction is automatically superior to all others. I'm aware that your disability prevents you from enjoying attractions like Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain and Indy, for which I'm truly sorry, but you need to understand that most people don't share your dislike for them. They're different, yes, but a more thrill-oriented approach is not bad, and two of those are completely original attractions that provide immersive experiences in otherwise unaccessible worlds. (The other immerses you in a world inspired by a series of popular films that fits thematically and doesn't force-feed you a preexisting story.)

The trick is finding the balance. Unfortunately, almost all of Disney's attractions in Anaheim since HM have either been thrill rides or unoriginal. Neither category is inherently bad, but I agree that Disney would do well to balance things out with some purely original, non-thrill-based attractions. Some folks (e.g. MrLiver) will tell you that the modern public does not want attractions like Pirates and HM; I thus take great solace whenever I stand in line in either attraction, note the insane numbers of people they entertain every hour, and enjoy watching the smiles on the exiting faces. It's especially fun with first-timers.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Space Mountain and BTMRR were both built after HM and POTC, and both took E tickets.

I find it very odd that you bring up a personal issue like disability as I didnt mention this in relation to myself I was referring to limitations of any kind, height, age or disability. FYI my disability is recent and I have rode ALL of the rides at DL repeatedly including the most fast, wild ones etc. and my opinion now is the same as it has always been and is in no way influenced by any current physical limittions that are personal and have no place in this discussion.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast