Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

•   
    • Seasick

Re: Has there been an original E Ticket attraction at DL since 1969?

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Ugh, this thread is pointless then. All we are doing is bickering over your criteria for an E-Ticket which apply to 2 attractions in the entire Disney Parks arsenal. I don't understand, we are complaining about what?

EDIT: Found a better name for the thread: "Has there been a Pirates/Haunted Mansion style ride in DL since 1969?"
    Absolutely. The term E-Ticket has been redefined and misused in the creation of this thread.

Clearly Indiana Jones, amongst others, is an E-Ticket attraction by just about anyone's standards.

The fact that we haven't had an epic, original, fun-for-the-whole-family attraction since Pirates and HM is certainly grounds for criticism and discussion, but it doesn't mean there hasn't been new E-Tickets.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• would love some pie

So will Little Mermaid not be an "E" ticket in your eyes? Even though it meets all of your nonsensical guidelines except that it is based off of something? And I wonder, if we were to consider that Haunted Mansion is the Disney version of a typical pier ghost dark ride, and that PoTC is the same but with pirates (as both were definitely staples of the seaside pier), can we call them completely original?

Yes, the stories and ideas presented in both HM and PoTC are new, but you cannot deny that inspiration to even attempt these rides came from ones that already existed.
    KABLAM!

• Addicted to MC since '08

No... if that is what you'd like me to say.

• The Dudester

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Absolutely. The term E-Ticket has been redefined and misused in the creation of this thread.

Clearly Indiana Jones, amongst others, is an E-Ticket attraction by just about anyone's standards.

The fact that we haven't had an epic, original, fun-for-the-whole-family attraction since Pirates and HM is certainly grounds for criticism and discussion, but it doesn't mean there hasn't been new E-Tickets.
    Even "fun for the whole family" is relative. I was terrified of both attractions when when I visited as a pre-school age kid.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    I guess I either should have said "ultimate E-Ticket rides" or best of or rather not have mentioned E-ticket at all but in the title you need something short and catchy. I mean to say attractions that are the ultimate in the Disney experience, attractions for all ages that have been beloved for generations or have the potential to be... attractions that not just any theme park can make like a roller coaster. Attractions that transport you do a different world and you are immersed in it for that 10 or so minutes, that leave you with such and impression it affects your very life and makes you want to go again and again, attractions with original songs you just cant ever get out of your head, attractions that generate a huge multi-generational fan base that goes so far as to create websites in honor of them who try to recreate the experience of the attraction in their own home that lead to the making of movies some 30 - 40 yrs later.... thats what I meant. But that wont fit in a one sentence title. ;-)
    Some of this would be considered overly specific but given your criteria set forth CBJ, 1971, would be the answer. LLCMC was nice enough to post a photo of an E Ticket. CBJ is clearly stated as what Disney considers an E Ticket. It was a fully immersive experience full of magical AA's, unique land specific characters, fun songs, and lots of laughter that was fun for the entire family! It's removal from Disneyland is mourned by many and it's version in WDW remains a popular tradition for many vacationing families! It is what I honestly consider the last unique experience attraction constructed in Disneyland with original characters. It is also one of the last family based attractions to be constructed. So that is my answer... CBJ... 1971... which fits your previously stated criteria and was actually issued an E Ticket per Disney.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

The term "E-Ticket" has come to carry different meanings to many people, and even attractions that were once considered E-Tickets when first opened have slipped quietly into the background by modern standards. (Historically, some of the better D-ticket rides were upgraded to E-tickets when Disney first introduced the distinction in 1959, and Yesterland has a good article on it.)

I think the OP doesn't take into consideration the competition Disney was facing in the decades following Pirates and HM. Quasi-theme parks and amusement parks with a thrill seeking angle gained popularity in the 70's and 80's so Disney had to create attractions that appealed to the market that was evolving. Instead of creating another "fun-for-the-whole-family E-ticket", they started developing rides like Space Mountain and BTMRR. When Universal came on the scene, for better or worse, Disney felt the need to develop "ride the movies" type attractions, and we got Star Tours and Indy. Splash Mountain was also a great attraction that was built in the spirit of HM and Pirates, with AAs, great music, immersive, but it has that pesky height restriction.

I think Disney has tried to create a balance of attractions for the wide variety of audiences entering their parks, but at the same time, aims for a higher standard that the run-of-the-mill amusement park. I think they missed their opportunity to create a Pirates/HM type of ride in DCA when it first opened (and there was plenty of material for them to work with) and their way to "fix" that is to immerse characters (movie tie-ins) to every attraction they think of. I think we're likely going to see "E-tickets" developed for the foreseeable future that breaks one of the OP rules for quite some time (original, large scale with AA & music/song, no height restrictions).

• "I Break Things"

I think the key to the title (requirements set by OP not withstanding) is the word "original". To me the last "original E Ticket" was Rocket Rods. Original, by definition, means not based on anything previously established. The last properly themed successful "original E Ticket" would be Big Thunder Mountain which opened in 1979.

Indy and Star Tours are both amazing experiences that deserve their hard earned title of "E Ticket". However, regardless of a unique story, they are based on pre-existing movie based franchises. Again I am not slighting their creation, existence, or experience. I am stating that by definition they are not "original" and elements of their story include characters that were pre-existing prior to the attraction's opening date.

• Banned User

Ive been thinking and I have come to the conclusion that at Disneyland there has been NO original E Ticket Attraction of the scope of and since Pirates and the Haunted Mansion, That's been 40 years,40!

My criteria is based on the progression of attractions at the end of Walt Disney's reign. ending with Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion.

Since then there has been no attraction that is:

A. Original and all new, not an rehash update of previous attractions not based on some movie tie in.

B. Large scale with ride on vehicles and with a story told by scenery, special effects and numerous high end AA figures with music and song.

C. For all ages, no height restrictions and no rough roller coaster speeds preventing elderly and very young, disabled from riding, something the WHOLE family can enjoy and your not zooming by so fast you cant even tell what your looking at and lasts over 10 mins.

Obviously Indy, TOT (its at DCA and does not fit criteria above either) and especially Nemo subs do no fit this criteria.

In fact expanding beyond Disneyland has there been any such attractions anywhere in the world at other Disney parks, yes a few. Ones that come to mind are:

Epcot Horizons (my personal favorite of recent years and the only attraction that truly embodied what epcot was supposed to be about) but even it didnt rise to the level of Pirates or the Mansion and was of course demolished.

Others that sort of come close include universe of energy (other than the dinosaurs there isnty much going on, and Dinosaurs (though this ride may have rider restrictions and be too short to qualify. But again none of them equal Pirates of Mansion.

Does this mean that since the late sixties the Disney corp is incapable of carrying on the legacy of bigger, bolder, attractions with mind blowing original effects and technology with a great story put to music and song that Walt created?

In my opinion every thing since the Mansion pales in comparison and as time has gone by its seems that the Disney "bar" keeps getting lower and lower, I understand too the latest generations of guests come to expect less (which is sad in its own right) and they are getting less and they for the most part don't even realize they are getting less and less.

What do you think?
    Gothic, you chose a set of criteria to create a very narrow definition of an E Ticket. Why exclude rides which have height restrictions, and why exclude roller coaster type rides? Several of those are E Tickets; an E Ticket is not defined by being suitable for all ages, and there are many thrill ride E Tickets.

I will concede that there has been a dearth of original attractions in recent years, but since 1969, we've had Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which are original concepts and not tied in with a movie or show.

You also mentioned WDW, so there we have rides like Everest, Test Track and Mission: Space, which are E Tickets without a movie tie in.

As others have mentioned, this thread does lack focus. If you want to discuss the need for more original concepts, I understand that. But to say a ride like Indy isn't an E Ticket, because it's based on a movie or because it's a thrill ride with height restrictions ...I think you're alone on that one.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuckFan68 View Post
    Splash Mountain was also a great attraction that was built in the spirit of HM and Pirates, with AAs, great music, immersive, but it has that pesky height restriction.
    It also has the pesky Blue-Bird, Brier Rabbit, Brier Fox, Brier Bear, and its theme song is a main song in Song of the South! In short it is based on a movie and thereby forfeits the title "original".

• "I Break Things"

I think from a "missed the mark" standpoint the thread should be focused on a family entertainment based attraction with original characters. Which is ironic because it leads right back to CBJ 1971! I understand the intent because I have small children who do not meet the height requirements. We attend attractions as a whole family. Attending any attraction with small children gives you a different perspective of the park. To me it is sad that Disney has been incapable of providing a unique experience for the whole family.

You could also go with America Sings... but from a thematic standpoint I would still side with CBJ as the answer.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Walt Disney didn't create Pirates or Ghosts, so to say those attractions weren't based off of previous things is also not accurate.
    The Threads have shown many examples where the Haunted Mansion draws very much from existing ghost stories and lore.

Im sorry but you missed the point at no time have I said I am trying to redefine e- ticket thats not the point.
    Then

I will say the limitation to just Disneyland does make the issue look bigger. I would say Pirates of the Caribbean is better at Disneyland Paris. EPCOT Center had Spaceship Earth, Horizons, World of Motion, Universe of Energy and Journey into Imagination. Disneyland Paris has Phantom Manor and reworked versions of Pirates of the Caribbean and "it's a small world". Tokyo DisneySea has Sinabd's Storybook Voyage. Hong Kong Disneyland is getting Mystic Manor.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

I understand what your saying with the uniqueness of HM and Pirates. And DCA DESPERATELY needs an attraction like that - and one concept from Marc Davis could fit in DCA beautifully - Western River Expedition. It would definitely add a major part of what dca is completely lacking - an all encompassing non movie based AA filled dark ride attraction. Theme it to the 49er gold rush, old west.

A non movie based attraction, ok for all ages, tons of AA's, ride through attraction. During the 60's and 70's we saw several aa shows, from Lincoln, to the Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, to Country Bear Jamboree, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion, America Sings. OK, Lincoln, Tiki, and Bears, were not ride throughs, But were all major AA show. And it is sad the AA shows left in the 70's.

However, take a look at some of the attractions that can be enjoyed by all.
    Remember, Dreams Come True brought the fireworks show to an entirely new level. It's not a ride through, nor animatronics, but it's such a high quality show it cannot be ignored,

The Aladdin Show in the Hyperion Theater, again, not a ride through, BUT it brought Disney Theme Park live action shows to an all time high level of accomplishment.

Soarin' Over California, again, doesn't have AA's, BUT it was THE premiere attraction in DCA on opening day. It's an attraction that entertains the entire family, in a new unique way, and it was unique to the DLR when it opened and is not based on a Disney or Pixar movie.

Another attraction which has been bringing an entirely new type of entertainment the west side, since 1992, a show that does have Disney Magic, Fantasmic! This show is great, regardless of age, and does more than what just an aa show can do.

Another attraction, which does have a unique ride vehicle, and although based on a movie, and not filled with AA's, BUT does have an incredible queue, and takes you into an entirely new land, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.

At this point, I want to see any sort of new AA show, and Little Mermaid is the closest thing we have to that, on the drawing board, right now. Bug's life theater does have a big AA with Hopper, and Toy Story has a Spud AA, but nothing come close to the AA attractions I mentioned at the top of this post.

• Animatronic

I would agree that a good E-ticket should have multiple scenes with progression and dozens of animatronics and effects. A few thrills or songs help too. I'm not sure how important original is. Haunted Mansion pulled a few ideas from movies, as did Pirates. Indy pulled it's main characters from the movies, but is an entirely new plot.

There has been one original ride, not based on a movie, within the DL resort that opened within the decade. I am, of course, talking about Super Star Limo!

Clearly one has to be carefull with their criteria. Does America Sings qualify as a real E-Ticket. It had a ton of Animatronics and you DID move, albiet your ride vehicle went in a circle.

Tower of Terror is an original story with original characters. Only the name and the introduction are based on a TV show. It has a moving ride vehicle and you do stop at show scenes. It's in a richly themed environment too. However in length, it's more like a trailer for an E-Ticket than an actual E-Ticket.

Both the Haunted Mansion and Pirates have a begining, middle, and end. Both have some memorable vistas that establish the location. Both have grand scale, taking you from small areas to large. Both have dimensional and interesting travel taking you not only forward, but up and down. Both have complex sets and dozens of animatronics and effects. They are both rides that define a Magic Kindom.

Clearly the Many Adventures of Winnie Pooh does not qualify, nor does Buzz Lightyear, nor does Finding Nemo.

• =)

I find it very odd that you bring up a personal issue like disability as I didnt mention this in relation to myself I was referring to limitations of any kind, height, age or disability. FYI my disability is recent and I have rode ALL of the rides at DL repeatedly including the most fast, wild ones etc. and my opinion now is the same as it has always been and is in no way influenced by any current physical limittions that are personal and have no place in this discussion.
    I apologize for bringing it up; my intent was not to offend. You've brought it up in countless other threads, often in relation to these very attractions, so I didn't think you'd mind. I must say, though, I find it peculiar that you've chosen to focus on just part of one sentence in my post. Most of my post consisted of me partially agreeing with you while respectfully presenting a somewhat different vantage point, and your reply to me addresses neither aspect of my post.

Anyway, yes, Soarin' should be added to the list. Lack of AAs does not preclude it from being an E-ticket. It's not perfect, as its queue isn't very immersive and the scene transitions bother some people, but it's certainly original and it's certainly an E-ticket.

• Sock Puppet

New York (3,000 miles away from the magic)

That's very strict. Barely anything fits it. However there are some great rides that are qualified as 'E'-tickets even though they don't meet all of your criteria. Grizzly River Run, Soarin' Over California, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I think all of those you can go on and enjoy them as a family. Even though they do have height restrictons and may not have AA's they still are 'E'-tickets. Just because they may not have AA's that doesn't mean that it can't be a great ride.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast