Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Has there been an original E Ticket attraction at DL since 1969?

Ive been thinking and I have come to the conclusion that at Disneyland there has been NO original E Ticket Attraction of the scope of and since Pirates and the Haunted Mansion, That's been 40 years,40!

My criteria is based on the progression of attractions at the end of Walt Disney's reign. ending with Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion.

Since then there has been no attraction that is:

A. Original and all new, not an rehash update of previous attractions not based on some movie tie in.

B. Large scale with ride on vehicles and with a story told by scenery, special effects and numerous high end AA figures with music and song.

C. For all ages, no height restrictions and no rough roller coaster speeds preventing elderly and very young, disabled from riding, something the WHOLE family can enjoy and your not zooming by so fast you cant even tell what your looking at and lasts over 10 mins.

Obviously Indy, TOT (its at DCA and does not fit criteria above either) and especially Nemo subs do no fit this criteria.

In fact expanding beyond Disneyland has there been any such attractions anywhere in the world at other Disney parks, yes a few. Ones that come to mind are:

Epcot Horizons (my personal favorite of recent years and the only attraction that truly embodied what epcot was supposed to be about) but even it didnt rise to the level of Pirates or the Mansion and was of course demolished.

Others that sort of come close include universe of energy (other than the dinosaurs there isnty much going on, and Dinosaurs (though this ride may have rider restrictions and be too short to qualify. But again none of them equal Pirates of Mansion.

Does this mean that since the late sixties the Disney corp is incapable of carrying on the legacy of bigger, bolder, attractions with mind blowing original effects and technology with a great story put to music and song that Walt created?

In my opinion every thing since the Mansion pales in comparison and as time has gone by its seems that the Disney "bar" keeps getting lower and lower, I understand too the latest generations of guests come to expect less (which is sad in its own right) and they are getting less and they for the most part don't even realize they are getting less and less.

What do you think?

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    ó Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." óWalt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." óWalt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." óWalt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." óWalt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." óWalt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense ó has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." óWalt Disney

• Minion

Re: Has there been an original E Ticket attraction at DL since 1969?

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Ive been thinking and I have come to the conclusion that at Disneyland there has been NO original E Ticket Attraction of the scope of and since Pirates and the Haunted Mansion, That's been 40 years,40!

My criteria is based on the progression of attractions at the end of Walt Disney's reign. ending with Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion.

A. Original and all new, not an rehash update of previous attractions not based on some movie tie in.

B. Large scale with ride on vehicles and with a story told by scenery, special effects and numerous high end AA figures with music and song.

C. For all ages, no height restrictions and no rough roller coaster speeds preventing elderly and very young, disabled from riding, something the WHOLE family can enjoy and your not zooming by so fast you cant even tell what your looking at and lasts over 10 mins.

Obviously Indy, TOT (its at DCA and does not fit criteria above either) and especially Nemo subs do no fit this criteria.

In fact expanding beyond Disneyland has there been any such attractions anywhere in the world at other Disney parks, yes a few. Ones that come to mind are:

Epcot Horizons (my personal favorite of recent years and the only attraction that truly embodied what epcot was supposed to be about) but even it didnt rise to the level of Pirates or the Mansion and was of course demolished.

Others that sort of come close include universe of energy (other than the dinosaurs there isnty much going on, and Dinosaurs (though this ride may have rider restrictions and be too short to qualify. But again none of them equal Pirates of Mansion.

Does this mean that since the late sixties the Disney corp is incapable of carrying on the legacy of bigger, bolder, attractions with mind blowing original effects and technology with a great story put to music and song that Walt created?

In my opinion every thing since the Mansion pales in comparison and as time has gone by its seems that the Disney "bar" keeps getting lower and lower, I understand too the latest generations of guests come to expect less (which is sad in its own right) and they are getting less and they for the most part don't even realize they are getting less and less.

What do you think?
    Yes.
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in March 2005. I know it was based on the Raidiers of the Lost Ark movie series but the Indy attarction was built long after the movies. SO it could be a tie-in.
    Last edited by JoeCool; 07-26-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: additional info

No as I stated in my post Indy does not qualify I think you will agree it is not a ride on par with Pirates or Mansion, its too short, too fast, there are no songs you cant get out of your head, its not full of talking moving AA figures and it is restricted no one under a certain height can ride it and its to rough and fast for some elderly and disabled people so no Indy does not qualify as a Pirates or Mansion level attraction. Not to mention it is not original, Pirates and Mansion are not based on any particular movie they may have had some inspirations yes but not movie tie ins like Indy.

Well considering those are very very tight restrictions then no, there hasn't been one of those attractions. But there have definitely been "original E-ticket attractions" since then. Just not your strict definition (especially C, I don't get that. Since when does an E-ticket have to have no height restriction or be not zooming fast?)
    Love WoC!!!

Next DL trip: August 2011

"What do you mean we can't get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

No as I stated in my post Indy does not qualify I think you will agree it is not a ride on par with Pirates or Mansion, its too short, too fast, there are no songs you cant get out of your head, its not full of talking moving AA figures and it is restricted no one under a certain height can ride it and its to rough and fast for some elderly and disabled people so no Indy does not qualify as a Pirates or Mansion level attraction. Not to mention it is not original, Pirates and Mansion are not based on any particular movie they may have had some inspirations yes but not movie tie ins like Indy.
    Agreed but it is an "E" Ticket attraction that has a movie connection.

well imagine pirates or the mansion while riding the indy vehicle i think you will get my point ;-)

• Minion

well imagine pirates or the mansion while riding the indy vehicle i think you will get my point ;-)
    Indeed. Indy lacks the imagination and creativity of Haunted Mansion and Pirates.

The only other E Tickets is Space Mountain which opened in 1977.
    Splash Mountain in 1989 - but based on the movie Song of the South.

• The Dudester

I think your restrictions are a bit... overly specific?

There may not be any rides that have opened to those specifications, but plenty of FUN (and well-themed) rides have opened.

Anyone can come up with a bunch of rules and say "has this happened since 1969?"

Has Disney opened any rides that meet all of the following requirements:

- Serve you JELL-O Pudding Pops
    - Have lap bars made of marshmallows
    - Have 36 loops
    - Are based on John Wayne movies
    - Require you to be between 48 and 52 inches

Has this occurred since 1969?

NO!? TRAVESTY!

• no flash photography...

yeah those are some great e-tickets. I always love to catch a nap on them.

I have never napped on the e-tickets that came after them. Even when I was a child I found POTC boring. I loved the drops, but after that I was ready for the ride to be over. HM has never been a favorite of mine, but I do love HMH.

Quote Originally Posted by LLCMC View Post
    I think your restrictions are a bit... overly specific?

There may not be any rides that have opened to those specifications, but plenty of FUN (and well-themed) rides have opened.

Anyone can come up with a bunch of rules and say "has this happened since 1969?"

Has Disney opened any rides that meet all of the following requirements:

- Serve you JELL-O Pudding Pops
    - Have lap bars made of marshmallows
    - Have 36 loops
    - Are based on John Wayne movies
    - Require you to be between 48 and 52 inches

Has this occurred since 1969?

NO!? TRAVESTY!
    No i'm not being overly specific, I am describing what most would consider be the best attractions of all time Pirates and Mansion, the jewels in the Disney crown, no other rides since meet the criteria that these two attractions have. Anyone just name one that comes close to these two attractions, you can't. Even more so I find it odd how many Disneyland fans don't even realize that for 40 years they have been unable to produce anything close to the greatest creations of their founder.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post

I have never napped on the e-tickets that came after them. Even when I was a child I found POTC boring. I loved the drops, but after that I was ready for the ride to be over. HM has never been a favorite of mine, but I do love HMH.
    "I understand too the latest generations of guests come to expect less (which is sad in its own right) and they are getting less and they for the most part don't even realize they are getting less and less."

• The Dudester

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post

I see your point. Don't get me wrong, I love HM and POTC, but I've never heard anyone say "when I'm tired I like to go on Indy to take a nap,"

I HAVE heard that about POTC. POTC is GREAT at what it does. If you're looking for immersion into a fantasy world, that's your place. But to call them the "greatest creations" as the OP did, that is purely a RELATIVE phrase. To some people POTC and HM are the jewel of Disneyland... you bet. But others others enjoy Indy and Space Mountain just as much, and many love them much more. Disneyland has created quite a portfolio of rides and attractions, to be sure. POTC and HM are certainly second to none at what they are intended to do. I enjoy both rides immensely. They are part of a great balance at Disneyland. But many great attractions have been created since that don't follow your parameters. That doesn't make them any less great. That just means they don't follow your arbitrary set of rules.

• Senior Minion

What we have here is a failure to standardize.

The guy from MiceChat says a major E Ticket is Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion. The senior Imagineer at WDI says a major E Ticket is Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.

...I'm tending to lean toward the guy from MiceChat.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• The Dudester

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    What we have here is a failure to standardize.

The guy from MiceChat says a major E Ticket is Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion. The senior Imagineer at WDI says a major E Ticket is Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.

...I'm tending to lean toward the guy from MiceChat.

I'm curious which attractions actually required an E-Ticket? I'm sure Google can help me (and it will), but I'm honestly not sure....

• "I Break Things"

This is an interesting set of criteria. Especially when you consider Walt never saw Pirates...

The term "E" Ticket was in reference to the ticket price to ride the attraction. Over time it became synonymous with high speed high thrill attractions. Recently it's morphed yet again (per Tony Baxter's interview Nemo is somehow an "E" Ticket).

If we are basing this on what Disney believes is an original "E" Ticket then the last major one was Rocket Rods... which failed miserably. Prior to that it was Big Thunder Mountain which opened in 1979. Again this is in specific reference to "original E Ticket"... Indy and Star Tours are both based on movie franchises.

Getting back to the topic of the thread. I believe that Space was the first one to have a height based restriction... Matterhorn was based on age (over 3)... so even "back then" there may have been an "E" Ticket that was height based. HM and Pirates IMHO are more of the "D" Ticket variety (which supposedly was what Nemo was built to be, and TLM is slated to be... Tony I'm confused here...) "Solid "D" Tickets were designed to provide entertainment for the whole family. Under that criteria CBJ opened in 1971 and was a 16 minute time.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast