Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Future Cast Member

Question Attraction Questions

Question: How does the effect on Indiana Jones Adventure(the rolling boulder) work?
    Answer(mycroft16, BurtGummer, RedHandedJill): You don't actually ever move backwards... that would be incredibly dangerous in a ride situation. The walls around you move forwards away from you and the boulder moves slightly towards you. The boulder is mounted on a very large steel mechanism that rotates it and moves it forward. Your brain just assumes that very big things don't move, so when the walls move forwards, your brain thinks it's you moving backwards. If you look towards the ground where the wall meets it next time, you can see it moving the other way while the ground (and you) stay stationary. As for the sound... big subwoofers create the shaking feeling and then couple that with the motion controls in the base of the troop transport and voila.
    The view from behind the boulder:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq6gMddaDw0&feature=channel"]YouTube - Indiana Jones Boulder Effect[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRU8zdc2rCQ"]YouTube - Boulder Scene Diagram[/ame]

Question: How does the Chamber of Destiny effect work? Are there really three different rooms?
    Answer(BurtGummer, Indiana Jones Adventure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia): The Chamber of Destiny actually has only one working door, with only one corridor behind it. The walls and ceiling of the room rotate over the working door and a set of four facades (two on each side of the real door), so that three "doors" are visible at any given time. The doors and the Hall of Promise are lit differently based on which particular chamber has been chosen. Fake tracks lead up to the other doors to enhance the effect.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fZB-SIFak&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Chamber of Destiny - The effect revealed[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNyuCeclLVA"][/ame]

Question: Does any part of the queue go underground, or does it just use forced perspective?
    Answer(Eric5675): The queue goes underground to pass under the Disneyland Railroad tracks, but the ride is not underground.
    Last edited by ChessurInWonderland; 09-09-2009 at 11:46 AM.

• Future Cast Member

Re: Ask & Answer Attraction Questions

Oh, and also, what's the story behind Space Mountain? I mean, I know your supposed to be going into space, but the storyline is a little confusing to me. Like, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad has a strong backstory, I understand it, but Space Mountain, I don't really understand the point too much. Same with matterhorn, are we supposed to be looking for the Abominable Snowman, or are we just going on some random bobsled ride and bump into him a few times coincidentally? At the beginning of the ride, when you see his red eyes and hear his roar, it seems like we're trying to find him on an expedition or something, but I've never really heard the story for this ride either.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
    Oh, and also, what's the story behind Space Mountain? I mean, I know your supposed to be going into space, but the storyline is a little confusing to me. Like, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad has a strong backstory, I understand it, but Space Mountain, I don't really understand the point too much. Same with matterhorn, are we supposed to be looking for the Abominable Snowman, or are we just going on some random bobsled ride and bump into him a few times coincidentally? At the beginning of the ride, when you see his red eyes and hear his roar, it seems like we're trying to find him on an expedition or something, but I've never really heard the story for this ride either.
    Not every ride has a story... at least where story = plot. Space Mountain is just a fun ride through space. It has a history, a setting, but no real plot. Matterhorn is more or less the same thing. There is a history to the attraction, a setting, but no real plot. Other adventurers have gone missing on the mountain and there's the Abominable Snowman, but there's no plot you're following.

This is the problem with the stupid emphasis placed on "story" by Eisner. You don't need a story to have a great ride. You need a setting and history.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Future Cast Member

Oh, okay, so it encourages the riders to use their imaginations. I think this is funner. =) I've heard a lot of different detailed stories about BTMR too, but I think its funner to imagine about the haunted mine train, like how its set up now, without anything about the story, unlike Splash Mountain, that explains some of it in the line.

• I'm not really here

Have you ever wondered something about an attraction that only a fellow Disney fan can know? Well, here you can ask and answer questions about attractions.

I've always wondered, how do they do that cool effect in Indiana Jones Adventure at DL, where you go backwards and under the rock? And does anyone know how they stop the rock after you go under the tunnel-like thing its on? I've never seen any wires or anything. And how do they make that sound like it fell behind you so loud that it actually shakes the building, or is it a trick of the vehicle?
    You don't actually ever move backwards... that would be incredibly dangerous in a ride situation. They walls around you move forwards away from you and the boulder moves slightly towards you. The boulder is mounted on a very large steel mechanism that rotates it and moves it forward. Your brain just assumes that very big things don't move, so when the walls move forwards, your brain thinks it's you moving backwards. If you look towards the ground where the wall meets it next time, you can see it moving the other way while the ground (and you) stay stationary.

As for the sound... big subwoofers create the shaking feeling and then couple that with the motion controls in the base of the troop transport and voila.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• I'm not really here

Oh, okay, so it encourages the riders to use their imaginations. I think this is funner. =) I've heard a lot of different detailed stories about BTMR too, but I think its funner to imagine about the haunted mine train, like how its set up now, without anything about the story, unlike Splash Mountain, that explains some of it in the line.
    Exactly... sadly, in our 30 minute cookie-cutter tv show society, imagination and critical thought seem to be a skill that is sadly lacking. I keep hoping this changes at some point.

I've heard several stories about BTMRR as well... I don't know if there really is an official story to it other than it's a mine train that is broken and runaway.

• Future Cast Member

Okay, thanks! =D that's rly interesting, I'll pay attention to the walls and stuff next time! =D

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Ok here's one. Can someone tell me about Rosita? In the Tiki Room when Jose asks, "I wonder what happened to Rosita?" what is he talking about? Who was Rosita and why is he wondering what happened to her? Where did she go?

• Haunted Mansion Fan

Stockton, CA; AKA too far from Disneyland (5 hrs, 48 mins/375.1 mi)

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Ok here's one. Can someone tell me about Rosita? In the Tiki Room when Jose asks, "I wonder what happened to Rosita?" what is he talking about? Who was Rosita and why is he wondering what happened to her? Where did she go?
    Rosita is just the name of a missing bird (in the storyline). That's what it says in the show script. No other information is given about her. Maybe they are saying that shes a real bird, considering that they say, "Most little birdies would fly away...''

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Was there ever any concept art created for the proposed Atlantis attraction that was to go where Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage currently resides? If so, does anybody have any scans or photos of possible said concept art?

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    Was there ever any concept art created for the proposed Atlantis attraction that was to go where Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage currently resides? If so, does anybody have any scans or photos of possible said concept art?
    No, an Atlantis submarine attraction was only a rumor. After the movie came out, everyone began to suspect that they might plan an attraction based on the ride, but when Finding Nemo came out, rumors spread about that attraction, too, and Nemo concept art was realeased after a while and the attraction was confirmed.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by HatboxGhost209 View Post
    Rosita is just the name of a missing bird (in the storyline). That's what it says in the show script. No other information is given about her. Maybe they are saying that shes a real bird, considering that they say, "Most little birdies would fly away...''
    Thanks!

• Haunted Mansion Fan

Stockton, CA; AKA too far from Disneyland (5 hrs, 48 mins/375.1 mi)

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Thanks!
    You're welcome!

I have a question that I believe you all would know but I don't. Where do you sit for the Fantasmic show and dessert/food thingy ( lols, forgot the name ) Do you just get a roped off section in front of ROA or somewhere else b/c I remember I heard from somewhere that the preferred seating and dessert thingy was at the River Belle Terrarce. And where do you order your dessert or is it just 1 kind for everyone?

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    AFAIK, the only concrete evidence that ever came out was a banner...

Imagineering built a big blue tarp tent over the storage track at the Submarine Lagoon to test out new display ideas. Suddenly one morning a big banner popped up on the Lagoon side of this blue tarp tent - "Atlantis Expedition, Imagineering Research Outpost." And by the afternoon it was gone again, never to reappear.

But not forgotten - there are pictures. That blue tarp and banner was my Windows 98 Wallpaper two computers ago, and if you want I can go dig it out. I think it'll still boot...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast