• Home on the range

Soarin over ca in 3d

Hi everyone, I was wondering how Soarin over California would look like if they made the film in 3D? Would it look tacky or great.What are your views?

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Re: Soarin over ca in 3d

tacky.

• Cunning infiltrator

That would be great idea. Pretend your 3D glasses will be air goggles to protect your eyes from the wind currents. Things like small birds will pass through you and other stuff too. Since I do see some small wear and tear on the large IMAX oval screen.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

I think that would be a great experience! It would really make the ride seem more real than it already is.. the 3D glasses may even block the site of the other people below you and the feet dangling above you lol

• Home on the range

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    tacky.
    Why Tacky?

• Banned User

I don't think it could work because of the screens shape. Either way, I wouldn't want it. Tacky. Imagine all the glasses that would fall off during every ride.

• =)

The only part that would seem tacky would be the golf ball whizzing over your head - and it wouldn't be any tackier than it already is. Assuming it were done well, the rest would just seem subtly more realistic. The effects of the 3D would usually be pretty mild. Redwood Creek gets pretty close to you, so you'd notice it there, and same goes for the Malibu scene, but most of the scenery would appear to be at least as far away as the screen. Remember, the effects of parallax diminish as objects get further away; our depth perception can't distinguish between an object that's 1000 feet away and an object that's 2000 feet away, but it sure as heck can distinguish between 10 and 20 feet.

EDIT: Distortion due to the screen shape could pose a problem, yes, ICe101. That's an unfortunate reality. But glasses falling off? Well...they could fall off if someone intentionally dropped them, which would be stupid, but they're not gonna fall off on their own any more than they would on HISTA or the like. The motions of the hang glider are exceedingly gentle, and those glasses hug your face pretty well.

Anyway, I'd really like to hear someone make a detailed case for how this could possibly increase the attraction's tacky factor.

• Minion

3 D would work..only if the glasses wouldnt be able to fall off peoples heads...hit the ground..become tripping hazards blah blah blah...even if the goggle idea was used.some kid(i know thats profileing) could still take them of in mid attraction and drop them......

• Home on the range

Quote Originally Posted by datameister View Post
    the only part that would seem tacky would be the golf ball whizzing over your head - and it wouldn't be any tackier than it already is. Assuming it were done well, the rest would just seem subtly more realistic. The effects of the 3d would usually be pretty mild. Redwood creek gets pretty close to you, so you'd notice it there, and same goes for the malibu scene, but most of the scenery would appear to be at least as far away as the screen. Remember, the effects of parallax diminish as objects get further away; our depth perception can't distinguish between an object that's 1000 feet away and an object that's 2000 feet away, but it sure as heck can distinguish between 10 and 20 feet.

Edit: Distortion due to the screen shape could pose a problem, yes, ice101. That's an unfortunate reality. But glasses falling off? Well...they could fall off if someone intentionally dropped them, which would be stupid, but they're not gonna fall off on their own any more than they would on hista or the like. The motions of the hang glider are exceedingly gentle, and those glasses hug your face pretty well.

Anyway, i'd really like to hear someone make a detailed case for how this could possibly increase the attraction's tacky factor.
    wow!

In my opinion, tacky. Soarin' over California is a spectacular attraction as it is. It's already immersive, and the technology used - very groundbreaking. It's a film, but one with an impressive ride element.

Using 3D technology, in my opinion, is too much of an easy way out. The technology's been around forever but, if I recall correctly, wasn't used at Disneyland until Magic Journeys premiered. Now, it's an element of almost any new attraction, because most of these attractions are films, rather than ride-throughs.

DCA already has three attractions that require 3D glasses to be worn by guests. I'd rather see less use of 3D glasses (hence films) rather than more. Fortunately, the current direction of DCA is toward more use of the traditional type of attraction that Disney does best.