Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Animatronic

Imagineering lower maintence

Disneyland is looking pretty spiff now. They seem to be using some sort of varnish over everything. The Castle practically looks plastic as does the Haunted Mansion. I assume this is the result of experience in durable finishes. Now I'm wondering, with all this new technology, why are there far more bulbs burned out around the park than I remember as a kid? During one of my early childhood trips I ran up and down Mainstreet looking for a burned out bulb and could find not one. I just assumed they monitored the current draw on each circuit to alert them to a bulb failure. Recently, however, I've been seeing plenty of burned out bulbs all over the park. One might think imagineering could do some research and switch to LED or other much longer life bulbs and also monitor the power draw so they'll know when something goes.

Does anyone know what they do to make things last and keep looking good? I certainly hope they are building stuff to last so they won't need to spend all their money on maintence instead of new Z-Ticket rides (E-Ticket rides are soo 1959).
    Last edited by Lore; 10-04-2005 at 10:31 PM.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Imagineering lower maintence

Only thing I ever heard, and I can't for the life of me remember who I heard it from (except that he was an old man), but he said that the reason the white pickett fences around the park are always so white is that whenever there's even a speck of dirt or something scuffing off, they slop some more paint on it. Now, take it however you want it, but.....I'm sensing exaggeration. And let's just call that special lasting and good lookingness of the park the magical glow that Disneyland is known for.

• UH..LIKE DUH..

BYOB. bring your own bulbs.

• Minion

I dont think changing light bulbs is under WDI's juristiction.

Also, LED's are not the answer. They simply dont give a soft white and would be very painfull in bulk. Like on the side of a building. Plus the white LED's are VERY VERY expensive. I know I know. You saying "But it will SAVE money in the LONG RUN". Things dont work out that way. Replacing ALL the bulbs would be MASSIVLY expensive. Replacing a few standard bulbs is a drop in a bucket. Thats what the paper pushers see.

Gib

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Cabin
    BYOB. bring your own bulbs.
    If I'm not mistaken, I remember reading somewhere that in the past before the retail gang took over (i.e. Paul P) that maintanence would change out bulbs when they had reached a certain percentage of their likely life. This would reduce and practically eliminate bulb burn out while in the park. Now, come forward to the accountant years and this meant much money spent that wasn't necessary at the current time. Last time I was in the park (which was August) I noticed a large number of lights out and just chalked it up to one of the things that Matt hasn't been able to take care of yet.

And yes, LED's won't work for the vast majority of the park. Maybe they have a place in TL since it is all about the future. However for recreating the turn of the century Main Street, good old filament bulbs are still the only way to get that feeling. They just need to be replaced on a regular basis again.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Hopping DLR for 40 Years

It's not Imagineering - it's Imron 6000 clear coat

Also, Disneyland maintenance and paint contractors maintain the parks - Imagineering designs and builds things.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ
    If I'm not mistaken, I remember reading somewhere that in the past before the retail gang took over (i.e. Paul P) that maintanence would change out bulbs when they had reached a certain percentage of their likely life. This would reduce and practically eliminate bulb burn out while in the park. Now, come forward to the accountant years and this meant much money spent that wasn't necessary at the current time. Last time I was in the park (which was August) I noticed a large number of lights out and just chalked it up to one of the things that Matt hasn't been able to take care of yet.

And yes, LED's won't work for the vast majority of the park. Maybe they have a place in TL since it is all about the future. However for recreating the turn of the century Main Street, good old filament bulbs are still the only way to get that feeling. They just need to be replaced on a regular basis again.
    I remember reading 80% was the switch level...I think it was an old Disney News...
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Former CM

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine
    Only thing I ever heard, and I can't for the life of me remember who I heard it from (except that he was an old man), but he said that the reason the white pickett fences around the park are always so white is that whenever there's even a speck of dirt or something scuffing off, they slop some more paint on it. Now, take it however you want it, but.....I'm sensing exaggeration. And let's just call that special lasting and good lookingness of the park the magical glow that Disneyland is known for.
    It is true that they repaint things quite often (beofre the evil one was in charge of DL). Hopefully it's going back that way. Just find a bench or railing that has some chipped paint on it. Then take a look at all of the layers that are there. You'll find a bunch of layers and can even find old colors for long ago.

• șoș Tom șoș

I just love that there are teams of maintance guys whose entire job is to go around the park with sandy machines and rub off any sharp corner! Now thats magic....or law suit prevention!

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Imagineering lower maintenance

I think there has been a switch away from "industrial use" fixtures and such. For example, a 50,000 bulb order goes to the lowest bidder, and rigid specifications are a long-term strategy not in line with the short-term manager in charge of procuring light bulbs.

Extrapolating this to, say, heavy equipment required on some rides, and you get break-downs a lot more frequently. Used to be that Disney made stuff for itself, in order to better guarantee a level of performance. Outsourcing such unique projects might not be the most optimal way to run the parks.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by erick13
    It is true that they repaint things quite often (beofre the evil one was in charge of DL). Hopefully it's going back that way. Just find a bench or railing that has some chipped paint on it. Then take a look at all of the layers that are there. You'll find a bunch of layers and can even find old colors for long ago.
    And white was decided on (by Walt himself, I believe) because it was easier to procure than, say, an certain ugly bronze color.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• insufferable know-it-all

I believe it was 80% of the bulb's life when they were replaced. There was someone whose job it was to do that every night, I'm sure there was some sort of schedule for bulb replacement where each night would be x section's turn or something.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Rock Star Minion

And just look at the money saved by NOT replacing bulbs every night!! Get rid of worker, and lower the bulb churning. Those are perfectly acceptable bulbs being replaced!
    The only downside is that the park is not in a league of its own but only slightly ahead of its competitors.

But, that's what happens when a business strategy that actually lowers average attendance revenues while keeping the perceived meaningful attendance amount stable is offered and marketed heavily to a rather large local population. If it doesn't cost much to enter, then expect a low quality product. And pity the less frequent guest paying a high dollar and expecting a high-quality product.

• The one, the only...

I am sure that Walt knowing this is turning over in his refrigerator.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I am sure that Walt knowing this is turning over in his refrigerator.
    Has the light bulb in there been replaced?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast