Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Were Any of you Micechatters Fans of "Magic Journeys"?

The attraction must have not been very popular or memorable because no one really ever mansions it or even remembers it. How were lines for this attraction and was it so bad that they needed the Captain EO replacement fast? It was there under two years, I never saw it since I hadn't been born yet but for those who did experience it, what did u think of it?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg9TurgDT24"]YouTube - Magic Journeys Part 1/2[/ame]
    Last edited by Dustysage; 07-27-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: part 1 of video added
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Re: Were Any of you Micechatters Fans of "Magic Journeys"?

Wow, I've never ever heard of it until now. Must've been pretty lame?

• Banned User

I wasn't around for it, but I thought it had a pretty successful run at WDW? I could be wrong, though.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Honestly, folks, please don't think that just because you haven't heard of something before your time that it "must have been pretty lame." Magic Journeys was supposed to be little more than a temporary show from the get go ... the age of cool didn't begin 15-20 years ago.

It was the company's first (I believe) foray into the 3D realm. "Captain E.O.", essentially the world's most expensive minute-by-minute music video ever created, obviously was created for a larger run. Magic Journeys, on the other hand, was a much more modest production but very imaginative, dealing with children of the future, and very Disney-like in quality (if not a bit "80's", of course). When Captain E.O. opened, the combined talents of Michael Jackson/Angelica Houston/Francis Ford Coopola/George Lucas of of course shadowed over (big time) anything that was previously there. The work on "Captain E.O." (I mean negotiations and story development, not just filming), more than likely took two years. Disney begins things like that WELL in advance ... and Disney/Coopola/Jackson knew they wanted to do something together; so, essentially, when Magic Journeys opened, Disney already knew that it was a placeholder and would soon be replaced by the star-traveling adventurer.

The show ran in DL for two years; ran in Epcot for four, but was then moved to the Magic Kingdom for another six (eventually being replaced by Legend of The Lion King). The show never played at other theme parks because, well, they weren't really around back then ... or in the case of Tokyo, not long enough to warrant a few-month installation of a show.

One of the best parts of Magic Journeys is the soundtrack ... if you can ever find "Magic Journeys" on an old Disneyland album, listen to it. It's a hauntingly beautiful song written by the Sherman Brothers.

But, in conclusion, the world is not always relative. Just because you, personally, haven't heard of something doesn't mean it sucked.

I saw it at the Magic Kingdom. The music was awesome and it most definitely was not a "lame" show.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    Honestly, folks, please don't think that just because you haven't heard of something before your time that it "must have been pretty lame." Magic Journeys was supposed to be little more than a temporary show from the get go ... the age of cool didn't begin 15-20 years ago.
    Wow, I didn't mean it like that so please relax. Like DL_CRAZE said, not a lot of people talk about it on here or at all, which gave the impression that it wasn't popular, and since there wasn't any solid background info given with the start I didn't know what it was. Usually when things tend to only live a couple of years and get replaced, it probably was temporary or it failed (which according to you, was a test that was temporary).

So, instead of starting your little reply with that, you could've given some background info in a more polite manner. Thank you, have a good evening, and don't take stuff like this so personally.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I LOVED Magic Journeys. The music was great.

Honestly, the newer 3D shows are better. But I'm definitely nostalgic about this one.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I was never a big fan, most likely because I remember as a kid the witch scaring me. I think I was too young to appreciate it.

The most recent appearance of the song on a CD was the "Happiest Celebration on Earth" 2 Disc CD set sold at WDW.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by MonstersGoBoo! View Post
    Wow, I didn't mean it like that so please relax. Like DL_CRAZE said, not a lot of people talk about it on here or at all, which gave the impression that it wasn't popular, and since there wasn't any solid background info given with the start I didn't know what it was. Usually when things tend to only live a couple of years and get replaced, it probably was temporary or it failed (which according to you, was a test that was temporary).

So, instead of starting your little reply with that, you could've given some background info in a more polite manner. Thank you, have a good evening, and don't take stuff like this so personally.
    I didn't take it personally, sorry if you read it that way. And about 90% of my "little post" was providing background information and context, yet you responded to the 10% and ignored the rest. That's neither here nor there, and I don't really care to argue about it.

<off topic> It is something that I've seen a lot with my own generation and the one following me - I actually had coffee with a 19yo journalism student the other day who said "Cronkite must have sucked because he hasn't done much in the last 20 years." </off topic>

Back to the issue at hand, you are completely right - most stuff that does get removed that fast usually isn't that popular ... but that's not entirely true for 3D or live action shows (until recently). As I'm sure you know, shows have a shorter shelf live than rides ... things like HISTA have overstayed their welcome ("Captain EO" nearly did), but shows like Magic Journeys and Golden Dreams could have easily stayed. Golden Dreams probably won't be discussed much beyond the next 5 years, leading some people to believe that it "was lame", which it wasn't ... it was just in a park over-saturated with films.

But, maybe, if we're going to venture into life lessons here ... if you come across another attraction like this that you're curious about but haven't heard much about (or film, actor, or something else - doesn't have to be an attraction) - you could state your question as "What are the factors that led to it's demise?" or try to look at the bigger picture or the situation in context ... simply asking for information ..., rather than automatically assuming the negative.

Blog Entries

I didn't ignore the rest. You answered my question without my asking, so I didn't reply , hence the thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I LOVED Magic Journeys. The music was great.

Honestly, the newer 3D shows are better. But I'm definitely nostalgic about this one.
    Agreed on the new shows being better ... I would even have a hard time taking in Captain E.O. at this point (and I loved it and am a huge Jackson fan). But nostalgic ... being a bit younger and newer to the park, the haunting "Magic Journeys" song, and the fact that it was the first 3D (so it had novelty to it) ... probably all combined in there.

Dagnabit, now I'm trying to find my old soundtrack tape to it ...

I didn't ignore the rest. You answered my question without my asking, so I didn't reply , hence the thank you.

Welcome?

::walks back to his grumpy old man room::

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post

Welcome?

::walks back to his grumpy old man room::
    Haha let me try this again:

I read the background you posted, which educated me on the attraction when it was still around. I should've put "Thank you for the info" but my mind is too tired to proofread and comprehend things right now.

Sorry to derail.

Haha let me try this again:

I read the background you posted, which educated me on the attraction when it was still around. I should've put "Thank you for the info" but my mind is too tired to proofread and comprehend things right now.

Sorry to derail.
    MiceChat HUGS!!!

BTW, you can find Magic Journeys in two parts on youtube ... the video isn't that great, and keep in mind it is very 80's ... but if you're interested. :P

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Wow, I've never ever heard of it until now. Must've been pretty lame?
    It was a wonderful movie. I think probably that Disney thought Michael Jackson would attract more guests than a generic 3D movie would.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast