Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Re: Why is Disneyland so much greener than California Adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by Tool View Post
    This has always been a glaring problem for me with DCA. Are they actually planting trees right now or is the wait 30 years excuse nonsense?
    The modifications to Sunshine Plaza/BVS will include many more trees ... even more if phase 2 gets approved. And is it nonsense to conclude that a 30year old tree would be significantly more lush and large than an 8 year old tree? No. And anyone who tells you otherwise needs to dust off those old biology text books.

To be fair, however, Disney went out of their way in the 1970's to plant literally hundreds of mature, lush trees for the creation of Bear Country (now Critter Country). They wanted the area to already seem like the PacNW, not wait to grow it in. There's no excuse why this couldn't be done immediately in Grizzly Recreation Area. It would, however, be thematically inappropriate for HPB, Condor Flats, PP, and BVS. Those are better served by trees that grow more mature over time.

• Mickey is not my Brother

Well if the Golden State was allowed to grow larger and make a canopy over the pathway like Near Splash Mountain, that would really allow for a more green area now they just need to make Condor Flats a thing of the past and start planting the forest trees there to make the area a nice little forest.

You have to remember Disneyland was built on an Orange Grove and DCA was built on a parking lot. Disneyland had acres of well established trees that they could keep or move a bit for relatively cheap so why not so overboard in some areas when you have them all right there? DCA has to bring them all in from outside, so it makes sense as to why there would be less in a comparable timeline to Disneyland.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Last I looked there is a row of trees behind Main Street that predate Disneyland. No orange trees. So other than that, that theory is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    Well if the Golden State was allowed to grow larger and make a canopy over the pathway like Near Splash Mountain, that would really allow for a more green area now they just need to make Condor Flats a thing of the past and start planting the forest trees there to make the area a nice little forest.
    I definitely think they need to greatly expand the number and size of the trees they have in the Golden State area. I mean, you go there now and it's really just a pathetic representation of the HUGE forests in central and northern california. I mean, they should basically fill it up with so many trees that you feel like you're in the middle of a redwood forest. You shouldn't be able to see the hotel or any other lands clearly from Golden State, it should feel more like you're walking through a forest trail to get to the different attractions.

And as for other lands, they could definitely add a lot more trees to Hollywoodland. I don't know how many of you live in LA or have visited enough to realize, but Hollywood is surrounded by big mountains all around full of hiking trails and trees. They could add some big mountains or something behind Hollywoodland and put some small trees up there and bushes to add more green. I mean, just google Hollywood and look at images of the Hollywood sign, it's up on a hill covered in trees.

Paradise Pier is really the only place where lots of trees wouldn't fit in, other than palm trees, but it's the same case with Tomorrowland in Disneyland so that's alright. If they added a good amount of foliage to Golden State, Hollywoodland, Buena Vista Street, and some desert plants to Carsland, they would greatly increase their greenage and would help provide lots more shade and help cool down the park overall.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSaint View Post
    You have to remember Disneyland was built on an Orange Grove and DCA was built on a parking lot. Disneyland had acres of well established trees that they could keep or move a bit for relatively cheap so why not so overboard in some areas when you have them all right there? DCA has to bring them all in from outside, so it makes sense as to why there would be less in a comparable timeline to Disneyland.
    That really isn't much of an argument for the Disney Company these days.

The truth is that they decided NOT to worry about shade trees and an organic look for DCA. HOWEVER, just a few years before, they opened the Animal Kingdom park in Florida and planted full grown trees shipped in from all over the world to complete their park. Animal Kingdom looked full grown from day one.

DCA still looks like an abandoned parking lot in many areas.

It all comes down to design and commitment to guest experience.

DCA had a lack of both!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

If they can find a way to massage the California theme enough to include some of the existing and planned attractions, they can certainly do it enough to include more trees. Southern California (except the inland deserts) enjoys what is called a Mediterranean climate. There are a lot of native trees here, everything from the live oaks mentioned before, to the Torrey pines near San Diego. To suggest trees aren't thematically necessary is silliness.

When I saw the thread title "Why is Disneyland so much greener than California Adventure?" I assumed the 'green' meant money. At the end of it all, I still think it refers to money. Money DL earns that DCA doesn't, money it would take to green up the park...money that the MBAs don't want to spend.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    That really isn't much of an argument for the Disney Company these days.

The truth is that they decided NOT to worry about shade trees and an organic look for DCA. HOWEVER, just a few years before, they opened the Animal Kingdom park in Florida and planted full grown trees shipped in from all over the world to complete their park. Animal Kingdom looked full grown from day one.

DCA still looks like an abandoned parking lot in many areas.

It all comes down to design and commitment to guest experience.

DCA had a lack of both!
    Bingo.

Great post

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Frankly it goes back to a saying I've heard from WDI about a 20ft wide path's ambiance compared to the capacity of a 40ft wide path... DCA has the wide paths with no planters for capacity, but what they didn't realize is that without the small path charm, there is no need for capacity.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Last I looked there is a row of trees behind Main Street that predate Disneyland. No orange trees. So other than that, that theory is out.
    Those would be eucalyptus trees. They were a part of the original orange grove that would eventually become Disneyland.

Eucalyptus trees were imported to California from Australia in the mid to late 1800s to be used as railroad ties. It was quickly discovered that the wood from these trees do not make good railroad ties, so farmers grew them to provide wind breaks for their crops. The eucalyptus trees in Disneyland are oriented from north to south, and a more effective wind break would have these trees oriented from east to west or at an angle thereof. I think these particular trees may have served as a boundary from the orange groves on one side and another grove of walnuts on the other -- the land that Disneyland now sits on had some walnut trees as well.

You now see eucalyptus trees all over Southern California, as they eventually became popular for ornamental usage. This stopped in the 80s and early 90s as the area became more developed and more susceptible to brush fires. As you may know eucalyptus tress have lots of oil used in cough drops and lotions and such, and and so eucalyptus trees are extremely flammable and very fast burning. You no longer see eucalyptus trees being planted anymore, which is a good thing for me because I never really thought they were that nice looking of a tree anyways.

It's definitively a mixed issue of design and theme choices. I agree both on the issues of them axing planters for bigger paths and on the idea WDI probably had about the Pier and Hollywood not lending themselves to trees as well (anyone want comparison pictures of WDS Hollywood in florida? I know RnRC has one of the worst queues ever).

I'm almost curious of some of the tree related decisions of DCA vs AK have to do with the costs of watering so many plants in California vs the cost in Florida were they get much more rain.

I honestly can't see the Pier getting too foresty in the future because of what it is. Obviously the desert theme is moving from Condor flats out to Carsland and Disney will have the design challenge of making Carsland desert like while also keeping it a comfortable place to walk through. Hollywood could probably get at least a few more trees without breaking it's urban like vibe and I guess we'll all wait and see what they do for the new entry palaza.

I'm noticing alot of palm trees around DCA which are more Californian in most peoples eyes but they don't seem to do much for shade at all.

• We Go On.

Isn't it in the plans to greatly increase the foliage at California Adventure? Already I have seen some nice improvement.Take San Fransisco Street, for example. When they closed the left side to add restrooms, they also took the effort to include some very nice planters with trees, and it made the area look so much more realistic and pleasant. With the addition of Paradise Park and Paradise Grill I think we will be seeing a lot more trees in that area as well.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Is there any concept art, or maybe somebody could photoshop in some trees to their pictures around DCA and show before/afters.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think this is the most important thread on MiceChat. People should keep this conversation going until something happens and we can celebrate in the shade with a cold one!

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I think this is the most important thread on MiceChat. People should keep this conversation going until something happens and we can celebrate in the shade with a cold one!
    Sounds like a good idea ... Let Disney know that being green isn't just about putting bottles into the recycling cans.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast