Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: Why is Disneyland so much greener than California Adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    The truth is that they decided NOT to worry about shade trees and an organic look for DCA. HOWEVER, just a few years before, they opened the Animal Kingdom park in Florida and planted full grown trees shipped in from all over the world to complete their park. Animal Kingdom looked full grown from day one.
    Brilliant post.

This has been an issue I've had with DCA since the beginning. Lack of trees and other plants on top of very wide, concrete/asphalt walkways give the park a very barren feeling.

Disneyland, by contrast has narrow pathways (actually fairly wide but broken up by planters into more meandering paths) and much more greenery (trees, shrubs and flowers). This all works together in making Disneyland feel more intimate and block out views of other areas of the park, outside world. If they can do it for DAK then they can do it for DCA. I'm really glad to see that plants were added in front of the SF row houses recently and that the plans for BVS will include a LOT more trees and plants.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

OOH can we see new pics as trees get planted?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    The truth is that they decided NOT to worry about shade trees and an organic look for DCA. HOWEVER, just a few years before, they opened the Animal Kingdom park in Florida and planted full grown trees shipped in from all over the world to complete their park. Animal Kingdom looked full grown from day one.
    Any idea how much they budgeted on landscaping for the park and lodge?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Brilliant post.

This has been an issue I've had with DCA since the beginning. Lack of trees and other plants on top of very wide, concrete/asphalt walkways give the park a very barren feeling.
    All things considered, trees and landscaping are a quick fix and they make the place look so much more "Disney".

• Dream in wonderful color!

DL wasn't as green when it first opened and the pictures in the first page prove that. I'm sure more trees will be added once Buena Vista street opens and the expansion is complete.

One interesting thing I noticed on my last visit - the trees in the Hyperion Theatre queue have grown a lot. There's plenty of shade now whereas a few years ago it used to get really hot in that area.

I don't know why the thread bump was necessary. this thread just seems like another excuse to bash DCA - a congregation of the same group of people who love to hate the park.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

It took Disneyland some years to gain as many tree's as it has now. I'm sure DCA will gain some more but Little Mermaid and Cars land aren't going to help that.

• Seeker of Fun

Thumbs up Re: Why is Disneyland so much greener than California Adventure?

Wow. What a great topic. I don't think I can add anything specific. I will say, last year was our first trip to DCA, and something seemed to be missing. I think this thread has hit the nail on the head. It seemed to barren. Great topic, great thread. Thanks to all for the pictures and insights.
    Last edited by 4Apples4Disney; 10-07-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: sp

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    It's very true that Disneyland was originally quite barren. In fact, I'd say its vast expanses of unadorned soil and juvenile plants were uglier than DCA's concrete wastelands. But the difference is that Disneyland was built with long-term goals. Those empty areas grew into jungles and forests and shaded walkways, and while that didn't happen overnight, it's not as if it took 50 years. DCA is overwhelmingly manmade in appearance, and it will continue to be that way unless more trees and foliage are planted. The GRR area offers some relief, but not a whole lot. Apparently, those responsible for DCA thought a permanently okayish-looking park was better than one that slowly blossomed from starkness to gorgeousness.
    Exactly... Disneyland: Long-term. DCA: Short-term.
    Landscaping costs money to maintain. Concrete doesn't.
    If they wanted to, they could have planted plenty of trees in DCA in 2001 and they would have 8 years of growth now, and be pretty substantial if given lots of water and fertilizer for 8 years.

• Minion

If they wanted to keep with the California theme, they could have included landscaping to represent places in California. These are all photos of locations in California, all wild, none planted by mankind:

Last edited by Bob Weaver; 10-07-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Toontown has very few trees. Tomorrowland.. very few trees up until a few months ago when the planters were added. The hub had trees removed for better fireworks viewing. Except for the West side of the park, DL isn't as green as some of you make it out to be.

I'd also like to remind you that DCA is undergoing a billion-dollar expansion. This hasn't even been brought up this thread for some odd reason. Grizzly Peak is being expanded, and Buena Vista street will include plenty of landscaping to make the entrance more green than it is now. The Carsland model featured plenty of trees, the WoC viewing area will have plants and trees. Not to mention the trees that were added back when Monsters Inc. was built in HPB, and the landscaping that already exists from the Grand California through Grizzly Peak Trail.

DCA is undergoing a major expansion and yet the same people continue to complain. Unbelievable! Why not start a thread about the empty Peoplemover tracks, the lack of real shows or parades, or the fact that DL hasn't received a new E-Ticket in almost two decades (Nemo doesn't count and ST II is merely an upgrade to an existing ride). DCA still has the best stage show on property (Aladdin) and will soon house Disney's biggest and most advanced nighttime show. Yep.. DCA's future is bright. DL still relies on its nostalgia factor to get guests inside the park.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Disneyland: Long-term. DCA: Short-term.
    Landscaping costs money to maintain. Concrete doesn't.
    If they wanted to, they could have planted plenty of trees in DCA in 2001 and they would have 8 years of growth now, and be pretty substantial if given lots of water and fertilizer for 8 years.
    Exactly right. Check the 1963 photos of Disneyland on blogs like Daveland and Gorillas Don't Blog -- eight years after it opened, Disneyland's trees and other landscaping looked very lush and inviting. Even by '58-'59, the Park had lost much of its "barren" look from '55.

Walt poured money into Disneyland's landscaping as part of the show, as part of the aesthetic, and for the comfort of the paying customers. Eisner went for cheap.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Yeti Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    Toontown has very few trees. Tomorrowland.. very few trees up until a few months ago when the planters were added. The hub had trees removed for better fireworks viewing. Except for the West side of the park, DL isn't as green as some of you make it out to be.
    You point to Toontown, an area where live fireworks are set off nightly, as an example of treeless environments in DL? Give me a break. Disneyland is a forest compared to DCA: the land of sun and concrete.

I'd also like to remind you that DCA is undergoing a billion-dollar expansion. This hasn't even been brought up this thread for some odd reason. Grizzly Peak is being expanded, and Buena Vista street will include plenty of landscaping to make the entrance more green than it is now. The Carsland model featured plenty of trees, the WoC viewing area will have plants and trees. Not to mention the trees that were added back when Monsters Inc. was built in HPB, and the landscaping that already exists from the Grand California through Grizzly Peak Trail.
    Whether the park is being expanded or not, I don't think it'll change the fact that for the most part, DCA represents primarily man-made, treeless environments. I'm not sure how adding an area based around a desert in Utah is really going to make things shadier.

DCA is undergoing a major expansion and yet the same people continue to complain. Unbelievable! Why not start a thread about the empty Peoplemover tracks, the lack of real shows or parades, or the fact that DL hasn't received a new E-Ticket in almost two decades (Nemo doesn't count and ST II is merely an upgrade to an existing ride). DCA still has the best stage show on property (Aladdin) and will soon house Disney's biggest and most advanced nighttime show. Yep.. DCA's future is bright. DL still relies on its nostalgia factor to get guests inside the park.
    The only reason why DCA's future is so bright is because its past is so dark. A park designed with the aesthetics of a shopping mall can only get better.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Bob, thank you for the lovely pics. Great contribution to the best thread in this lounge.

nobob88 - lay off dude, we're not bashing DCA - we're going to make it better so you can enjoy it without sunscreen.

i think the worst shadeless area of DCA is the suncourt. The addition of midwya mania helped improve the shade issues in that area with the addition of the trees in the outside queue. The attraction structure also helped create some natural shade the works great in creating an intimate area in the pier.

One thing that i have noticed is the growth in grizzley area. the walkways are almost always shaded from the large tree growth and the mountain itself is getting less and less visible from many areas. one big improvement is the trees that have grown tall enough to almost completely block the view of the grizzly rapids lift hill and that will eventually block the majority of outside view of anaheim from the lift hill.

one area that desperately needs trees is the farm area but that will change when Mater junkyard attraction is added.

other issues that are slowly being resolved are areas like the tower of terror courtyard. a few years back many people were upset that you could see the powerlines fromt he courtyard. Interesting thing is that they most likely planned ahead and the trees that were added have naturally blocked most fo the view. These same trees have started to block the view of the backstage electrical area from when viewed from the hyperion staircase.

I am hoping that they move forward with the decision of adding more trees along the parade route. An area that desperately needs them is the south side of the parade route along the waters edge near the tidepools. the northern edge filled in nicely by the winery

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
    You point to Toontown, an area where live fireworks are set off nightly, as an example of treeless environments in DL? Give me a break. Disneyland is a forest compared to DCA: the land of sun and concrete..

Whether the park is being expanded or not, I don't think it'll change the fact that for the most part, DCA represents primarily man-made, treeless environments. I'm not sure how adding an area based around a desert in Utah is really going to make things shadier..
    Um, what treeless environments? Try reading my post - I pointed out all the areas that have or willl have extensive landscaping. Your post is based purely on opinion, not facts. You seem to know very little about the park or the future expansion.. my guess is you've never even been there

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast